Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NY Earthquake... Made me think to ask Mama...

April 08, 2024 01:58PM
Have you guys ever experienced an tremors from the New Madrid Fault?? I was stationed in Blytheville, Arkansas from 1986-90. That's juuuuust South of the Missouri Boot Heel and fairly close to the New Madrid Fault. I think it was around 1988 when I was in the Fire Station TV / Game Room, sitting on the pool table when I heard a distant rumble getting closer. One of the old Civilian Firefighters who had lived in the area all of his life, quickly says....HERE IT COMES!! Tremor!

All I got out was.....Huh?? When the pool table dropped from under me by about 1-2 inches. As soon as it did the rumble rolled off into the distance. I ran outside and just like after a boom of thunder, I could hear it fade away. It was almost like ripple that headed South / Southwest. What made it even more creepy was it was a VERY crisp n clear day. I simply found it unsettling and ever since, have said I'll take a hurricane over an earthquake any day.

I had never heard of the New Madrid Fault till I got stationed there. I then heard about a MASSIVE earthquake there in 1812 that made the Mississippi River flow backwards for 30-45 minutes and formed several lakes in that region. Aftershocks were felt as far away as Boston. I also heard that if it happened again, Memphis would be screwed. I was just wondering if in your years in St Louis if you guys have ever experienced a Tremor?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

NY Earthquake... Made me think to ask Mama...

Ramgator66April 08, 2024 01:58PM

Re: NY Earthquake... Made me think to ask Mama...

MamaRAMa23April 08, 2024 03:32PM

Here ya go....

Ramgator27April 08, 2024 04:38PM