Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Guido's potty training progress....

July 08, 2023 08:31PM
Hell of a topic, huh? But sstrams, iowa, ramgator, Mama, Seattle, have been falling down on the job lately and I've got nothing better. laughing smiley

Reminder... I had never potty trained a dog before this one - Guido. I have NO experience. Lots of dogs but all outdoors dogs. They could poop and pee outside wherever.

I was beginning to think that Guido was the one dog in history that could not be potty trained... and frankly I'm still wondering... BUT...

3 days now and no accidents. Most of that, I'm sure, is us rushing him to the back door if we think he's showing any sign whatsoever of staining my carpet - - - BUT... and I can't be sure... many times he 'seems' to head to the backdoor and hint about going out. He has even rung the bells we hung for potty training a few times. My daughter is convinced he's WELL on his way and brilliant.... I'm more "eh, maybe, not sure, doesn't seem brilliant to me". then i get yelled at. IF he's on his way to being trained...

I think it was Waterfield's advice... find his 'times' and take him out and he'll learn to prefer going outside.

For you 'new rule non harsh training methodology' types we didn't use harsh methods. I wasn't allowed to even speak harshly... much less rub his nose in the pee spot (never did do that because I never potty trained a dog before but back in the day heard that was the method of choice).

so writing this I've made sure tomorrow he'll pee and poop all over the house... but today for the first time I considered the possibility that Guido may be close to being potty trained. Little late, (most reports I've read say it's done at an earlier age than Guido) but then.... my kids were late too so no surprise. laughing smiley
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Guido's potty training progress....

JamesJM120July 08, 2023 08:31PM

Dogs are .........well, dogs.

waterfield58July 09, 2023 08:53AM

Well, I can live that... but how about this?

JamesJM55July 09, 2023 10:06AM

Guido is at Morro Bay....

JamesJM59July 09, 2023 11:50AM

Morro Bay is a wonderful place for a springer spaniel.

waterfield76July 09, 2023 07:44PM

He's going camping with us tomorrow....

JamesJM61July 12, 2023 07:30PM