Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Interesting sports law in PA

February 28, 2023 12:14PM
They voted to take away a year of eligibility for players who were held back in 8th grade. Hmmmmmm....

Let me say right up front.... I haven't thought this through so I have NO firm opinion on this... what follows is gut reaction.

My first thought was 'good rule'... but I had that thought because I know of several, (yes several even though I'm from a small town), kids who were held back specifically for 'sports reasons'.

But then I quickly had a second thought - some kids are held back for educational reasons and nothing to do with sports (low grades, ill prepared for HS)... why punish them?

Of course one could then say "Why punish a kid held back for merely sports purposes?".... which is worthy of debate, I think.

I think this holding your kid back for sports reasons is a trend... and in that regard I'm not for it.... perhaps you can change my mind? Doing so DOES have benefits in regards to sports... kids are maturing quickly at that age... It enables a kid to play kids nearly two years younger than them... thus STATS can be helped tremendously... and no matter what any 'coach' says "stats" matter when you're looking to enter collegiate sports and beyond.

So anyway.. interesting rule, I think.... you? - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Interesting sports law in PA

JamesJM79February 28, 2023 12:14PM

Re: Interesting sports law in PA

waterfield58February 28, 2023 12:39PM

Well, not necessarily....

JamesJM52February 28, 2023 02:49PM

Would it ever get to the point where..

sstrams61February 28, 2023 01:19PM