Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First time in Europe... my granddaughter's surprise....

February 07, 2023 06:41AM
You may recall I bought my granddaughters a flight to England a few months ago. To say she's 'excited' is an understatement. Just saw her 'countdown calendar' and she leaves in 42 days.

She'll be staying with my son and his family who live in England. My son sent me a text this morning saying he's got a surprise waiting for Sydney when she arrives - -

He's going to take her into the airport bar... buy her her first 'legal' adult beverage... TO GO... then allow her to drink it in the car on the drive to his home, about 2 hours from London. That is LEGAL in England.

I knew that... having been to England several times... but had forgotten it. Does that seem odd to you? Like it does to me? I mean... it being legal to drink in a car as long as you're a passenger and not the driver?

A few years ago this circumstance happened to me. I was giving a friend a ride home and he suddenly produced a can of beer from somewhere and began casually drinking it while in the shotgun seat. I had a conniption - "What in the living hell are you doing? Throw that out the window".

He started arguing with me that it was 'legal' because he wasn't driving.... I thought, "what friggin' planet are you from?" How in the hell can you live in the USA and not know drinking in a car is illegal? Even if you're locked in the trunk it's illegal. Then I got a surprise...

My son informed me that actually some states allow this. I think that in Mississippi you can drink AND drive as long as you're under the limit... I could be wrong.

What is your states law about this? I had just assumed it was the same in all 50 states... NO alcohol... but apparently I'm in error? - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

First time in Europe... my granddaughter's surprise....

JamesJM79February 07, 2023 06:41AM

Re: First time in Europe... my granddaughter's surprise....

MamaRAMa59February 07, 2023 10:43AM

Tell her to STAY AWAY from Rome!!

Ramgator51February 07, 2023 03:57PM

..or Paris Texas... nm

sstrams45February 07, 2023 04:18PM

I just hope she avoids the situation in Europe. I have heard....

Ramgator38February 08, 2023 11:49AM