Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Merlin chimes in on same thread…

January 07, 2023 01:57PM
Here’s Merlin…

One of the genius aspects of the "star" position and Raheem's approach in general were that they got Ramsey to buy-in to the idea of playing in the slot. If they had told him they're gonna put him in the slot on a lot of snaps because he wasn't an eraser like he used to be and we need his tackling in the box that could have gone bad. But Raheem sold it well and had full buy-in from the player which is extremely valuable and part of the reason we made that Super Bowl run. Though I will note again that our secondary had tons of issues that could not be capitalized on by opponents due to the rush. Which is a primal reason we fell so hard this year after losing Von.

Also and btw I see the idea that he would be a top SS and agree with it. But the problem is you can find SS quite easily which means they're not expensive from a cap perspective. Whereas Ramsey is being paid as an eraser CB. This is a problem no matter where they play him. So if they do transition him to S it would require a recalculation in value and I imagine Ramsey is not ready yet to accept that mentally. Just a guess there, because he has not been exposed enough yet to where the truth is undeniable.

The bottom line is that he has lost a step. You don't see how much until those occurrences where he gets in a footrace or has to cover in space without a hand on the guy. Then he gets roasted. He is still very good at getting a hand on the receiver and using that to maintain position in a lot of circumstances without being called, but this is why I say now is the time to move him. Now. Not when the entire league is on to how much he's declined, which it will be in another season or so.

Either way if they keep him around with a restructure I'm fine with it. I love his toughness and attitude. I just think he is grossly overpaid now for what he is and I imagine the Rams are looking hard at this for the offseason. So where it goes, we'll see. Just want to say I'm not campaigning for the guy to get moved or anything. I just think we have hit the "if you're smart you'll move him now" window in his career given his current pay rate.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A juicy commentary on some aspects of Rams passing D by Classic Ram…

Rams43188January 07, 2023 01:50PM

Merlin chimes in on same thread…

Rams43166January 07, 2023 01:57PM

Re: Merlin chimes in on same thread…

Ekern5577January 07, 2023 06:00PM