Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Zac Taylor weighs in on Andrew Whitworth speculation

December 28, 2022 04:52PM
hmm.. could we get something for him since we own his contract?

[www.fox19.com]

CINCINNATI (WXIX) - It’s déjà vu all over again—the Bengals are in a bind at right tackle.

But one solution fans and commentators have been trying hard to manifest over the last 48 hours is likely not in the cards, according to Head Coach Zac Taylor.

Never say never... but Andrew Whitworth probably won’t rejoin the Bengals for one last playoff hurrah. (Yes, even after Whitworth liked this tweet.)

A reporter asked Taylor on Tuesday whether it would be realistic for the Bengals to bring in someone off the street “who’s, say, in their early 40s and is working for Amazon?”

Taylor smiled and replied, “We’ve got good people in the building that we trust.”

A reporter asked a follow-up question grounded in the far more realistic, though still unlikely, possibility that the Bengals could bring in another free agent tackle to bolster the offensive line.

Taylor replied, “I think our scouting department does a great job of always evaluating our options. And so I always trust them, that if they bring someone to you and say, ‘Take a peek,’ we’ll always do that. But again, we’ve got guys that we’ve had in here developing, working in our system that we’ve got a high degree of trust in that can help us do the things that we need to do this year.”

The door may still be cracked open. Nevertheless, Taylor’s comments are destined to disappoint fans who had conjured visions of Whitworth cementing a rampart around quarterback Joe Burrow on their way to a Lombardi Trophy that was promised, foretold and only awaiting his return as valiant savior king.

It certainly would have been a good story.

And, for what it’s worth, Whitworth himself did nothing to dispel the speculation. “I’ve said this since the day I retired, I’ll never say never,” he said on The Season with Peter Schrager podcast. “There’s always a chance.”

Whitworth continued: “I love adventures. I love taking on chances. So, to me, there’s always one. Obviously, there’s a lot of things that would go into it. I mean, I’m technically under contract still with the Rams, and I’d have to, I’d have to kick off the old, uh, dust a little bit and see if I could see if these tires could still move a little bit. But you know what, I’d, I’d never say no to the option, but, you know, I don’t know. It’d have to be a sit-down convo with, with [my wife] Melissa and the kids and say, ‘Hey, can we do this again or not?’”

The 41-year-old was drafted by the Bengals in the 2006 NFL Draft. He played in Cincinnati until the end of the 2016 season. He signed with the Los Angeles Rams in 2017, won the 2021 Super Bowl over his former team and retired in 2022.

His impressive list of accolades includes two first-team Pro Bowl selections and four selections overall. He was named the Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year in 2021.

Whitworth is now an analyst on Amazon’s Thursday Night Football broadcast crew.

Friendship is like peeing your pants.. Everybody can see it, but only you can feel the warmth..

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Zac Taylor weighs in on Andrew Whitworth speculation

sstrams288December 28, 2022 04:52PM

Re: Zac Taylor weighs in on Andrew Whitworth speculation

MamaRAMa150December 28, 2022 04:55PM