Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LA Rams restores right, now how will team fix left?

November 11, 2022 06:54AM
LA Rams OL restores right, now how will team fix left?

[ramblinfan.com]

by Bret Stuter

seasons. But finally, the tide may be turning. Injuries to the offensive linemen who are suiting up are becoming fewer and fewer. And, the Rams are finally starting to restore offensive linemen who have been out of action for a while. That’s a very positive development.

But now the question remains, who will play on the left side?

The challenge with the LA Rams offensive line began with the multitude of injuries. But even as players have fallen, the Rams’ front office has continued to sign talented veteran offensive linemen in Oday Aboushi, Matt Skura, and Ty Nsekhe. But the Rams coaching staff continued to opt for practice squad center Jeremiah Kolone, and offensive tackle Bobby Evans in an interior offensive lineman role despite the fact that the Rams roster was loaded with talented veterans.

We pointed out how confusing the decision-making process for selecting which offensive linemen has become for the Rams, but inevitably many commenters suggested that the decision to start Bobby Evans at guard, despite his inability to block, was the right decision. I remain concerned.

Even if Coleman Shelton returns to the Rams’ starting offensive line, there remains the question of who will start at the left offensive guard position. For my part, I hope that the team sits Evans. He is an offensive tackle and has almost no reason to be playing at an interior offensive line position.

The Rams have options at left guard, with Oday Aboushi, Matt Skure, or even Chandler Brewer. I strongly believe that they are better options at guard than Evans. How do I know? Aboushi played quite well against the San Francisco 49ers. Brewer played quite well against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Evans struggled in both games, but he started over either of his teammates.

Yes, head coach Sean McVay is very good at designing offensive plays. And yes, he led the team to a Super Bowl LVI victory. But that does not mean that he gets everything right. The LA Rams offensive line is very problematic this season, but it needn’t have been quite as bad. If the Rams had given the recently signed veterans a chance, the Rams might be 4-4 now, rather than 3-5.

Perhaps the decision over who starts at left guard is a much more important decision after all?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

LA Rams restores right, now how will team fix left?

Rams43186November 11, 2022 06:54AM