Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OntarioRam with a devastating critique of McVay…

October 30, 2022 06:38PM
Here’s OntarioRam…

McVay is the problem.

He abandons the run game early and often, and often does not stick with it even when it is working.

Even when he had a prime Todd Gurley, he would rather go pass-happy with Jared Goff. Come on. I still think Goff is a much better QB than people give him credit for, but prime Gurley was a generational talent.

It appears that McVay does not even care enough about the running game to put in the requisite effort to try and scheme something up on the ground, because if he did, the Rams would be doing much better than their current league-laughing-stock running attack. The o-line with Allen back at center should now be good enough to run the ball a bit. The narrative of "we are down to all backups!" was reasonable weeks ago. It is not any longer. Especially considering that Jackson is easily among our best 5 lineman. So his insertion into the lineup is actually an upgrade.

Look at how Shanahan schemes up runs for the 49ers, and how damning that contrast is.

Even McVay's personnel and roster-building decisions disrespect the running game: a general neglect of o-line investment, featuring Rivers of all RBs today (!), and when he does address the o-line, leans very heavily to pass protection abilities over run blocking prowess. He and Snead won't even draft a true guard (Bruss notwithstanding)! And then fans wonder we why can't get push inside. This o-line is overwhelmingly stocked with tackles by trade, often converted to play guard.

I am not saying that the Rams' running game should be dominant with this RB room and o-line room. Perhaps even league average might be unrealistic, as even our better offensive linemen are more so built for pass protection. But we are in the absolute basement. There is no excuse for that. Especially as teams should still have to respect the Stafford and Kupp connection. We have enough weapons that McVay should be able to make teams respect the pass and not stack the box. Our o-line is healthy enough that injuries cannot be a crtuch. Everyone has injuries in the trenches. Henderson is a capable albeit mediocre back. He can hit some holes and has in the past.

Cam Akers apparently had some choice words for Sean McVay regarding the running game approach. Perhaps, he was not incorrect, even if he was out of line.

McVay has only himself to blame, and his hot pursuit of McCaffery tells me he lacks self-awareness and is looking for a scapegoat. "If only I had the pieces!". "My RBs and o-line just are not good enough". Excuses, excuses. Look around the NFL. Does any team make less with more on the ground than the LA Rams?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

OntarioRam with a devastating critique of McVay…

Rams43408October 30, 2022 06:38PM

Re: OntarioRam with a devastating critique of McVay…

Ohiorams145October 30, 2022 07:31PM

Classicalwit191October 30, 2022 07:34PM

Stafford9191October 31, 2022 04:37AM

Wasn't that one of Martz's downsides, as well…?

sstrams93October 31, 2022 04:41AM

Turning into 2.0.........nm

Arkansas Ram56October 31, 2022 07:33AM

Rams RB averaging 3.2 YPC

LMU9372October 31, 2022 04:30AM

Ramstien75October 31, 2022 04:48AM

21Dog155October 31, 2022 05:05AM

Ramstien134October 31, 2022 05:07AM

Stafford963October 31, 2022 05:09AM