Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

20 random thoughts by AvengerRam…

September 19, 2022 06:23AM
Here’s AvengerRam…

1. Seriously... can't we have one relaxing Sunday?

2. Okay... let's start with what I liked... the mix.

3. The OL, with new starters and players dropping like flies, is not ready to stand on an island. McVay realizes this, and knew he had to mix it up.

4. Mix it up by involving receivers other than Cooper Kupp, particularly early. Nice production by Higby (7 receptions, 71 yards) and a better showing for Allen Robinson (4 receptions, 53 yards, 1 TD, one waved off due to oddly timed injury whistle).

5. Mix it up in the running game with Darrell Henderson and Cam Akers taking turns running the rock, with an interesting twist of Ben Skowronek lining up as a FB in the I formation.

6. Speaking of the running game, while the numbers won't jump off the page, I thought we used the run much more effectively this week, in part because, unlike last week, when we ran on 8 of the first 10 first down plays (effectively telegraphing) there was greater a greater mix in first down play calling.

7. Stafford was really good, except when he wasn't. On both interceptions, he took needless risks and tried to hit receivers who simply were not open. While I'd never want to stifle the aggressive gunslinger approach that makes him great, sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

8. The new mix on the offensive line, which had to absorb a new change when Tremayne Anchrum went down on the first series, did a fairly good job. Stafford had time to throw, and there was reasonable room to run between the tackles. Of course, Atlanta is not a top defense, but I'll take the improvement.

9. Ultimately, Cooper Kupp dominated the target count once again. Kupp has been targeted 29 times in two games, which is kind of crazy. He's also caught 24 of those passes, which is kind of amazing.

10. I can't be too mad at Kupp for the late fumble. Sometimes, the defense just makes a play.

11. Particularly hard to be mad at Kupp when I remember the incredible block he made to spring Henderson on his TD.

12. I'm finding it hard to evaluate the defense on this one. There was definitely some good. They allowed only 261 yards and 4.7 yards per play. Those are very good numbers. They also made a great 4th down stop and forced 3 turnovers. But...

13. I was really disappointed with the effort on the drive after the Rams went up 31-10. As later became evident, it was way too early to jog around at let the Falcons march down the field. That was the drive where I would have liked to have seen the Rams teeing off on a one-dimensional opposing offense and putting the game away.

14. The pass rush is not there yet. I think it can get there with the players we have (and I certainly would not be shocked if we add a pass rusher later), but I'm not seeing enough pressure at this point.

15. Of course, in the end, it was Aaron Donald collapsing the pocket and Jalen Ramsey making the pick to seal the victory.

16. Cobie Durant (he seems to have dropped the De from his first name?) is looking like a playmaker. I'd like to see more of him (and we probably will with Troy Hill hobbled).

17. The Rams have forced only one punt in two games. While some of that is due to forced turnovers, that's, in a word... bad.

18. Trey Lance is out for the season. In the long run, this could be a disastrous development for the 49ers, who paid a King's ransom for Lance and won't be seeing any returns for another year at least. In the short run, however, did they just become a more dangerous team?

19. I don't want to overreact to the 4th Quarter near-collapse. It was bad, but we got the win. It's a long season, and style points don't get you to the playoffs. Wins do.

20. Cardinals and 49ers in next two weeks. The battle for the NFC West begins in earnest next week. Buckle up.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

20 random thoughts by AvengerRam…

Rams43291September 19, 2022 06:23AM