Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ernest Jones feels his role gas grown, even with Bobby Wagner stepping in…

September 05, 2022 06:25AM
Ernest Jones feels his role has grown, even with Bobby Wagner stepping in

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Even after drafting Ernest Jones in the third round last year, the Los Angeles Rams couldn’t pass up the opportunity to sign Bobby Wagner as a free agent this offseason. It wasn’t an indictment on Jones’ lack of development, either. It was all about the chance to add an All-Pro to a star-studded defense.

One would assume that Wagner’s arrival would negatively impact Jones’ role, but he doesn’t feel that’s the case. Jones feels his role has actually gotten bigger with Wagner stepping in.

Buy Rams Tickets
“In a sense, I think my role has gotten bigger with him coming in,” Jones said, via the Los Angeles Daily News. “I think we both established that there are two good linebackers on the team that they want to keep out here on the field. But in a sense, I don’t feel like my role has lessened. I feel like for me it’s just getting better, just continuing to grow. And when I’m out there with him, let’s go dominate.”

One of the best ways the Rams can utilize Wagner and Jones together is by creating different rush packages. Both players are good blitzers, which we’ve seen throughout Wagner’s career and which Jones displayed in the Super Bowl when he was sent at Joe Burrow multiple times.

That sounds like something Jones expects to do a bunch, rushing off the edge and hopefully getting mismatches against running backs.

“I think me and Bobby have done a great job coming in, doing the things necessary to rush the passer, just create mismatches and allow us to go out there and win,” Jones said. “Effect the game in not only run defense and pass coverage, but also rushing the passer from outside position to rushing versus running backs.”

We’ll get our first taste of the Wagner-Jones tandem on Thursday night when the Rams host the Bills in the season opener, and it’ll be worth keeping a close eye on how Raheem Morris utilizes both players.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Ernest Jones feels his role gas grown, even with Bobby Wagner stepping in…

Rams43225September 05, 2022 06:25AM

How will the pass rush change?

David Deacon174September 05, 2022 06:36AM

Re: How will the pass rush change?

Thirtymac, The Intrepid Ram140September 05, 2022 10:48AM

SoCalRAMatic169September 05, 2022 10:53AM

mtramfan92September 05, 2022 10:30PM