Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cooper Kupp: Chemistry with Stafford was big part of 2021 season…

June 05, 2022 05:45AM
Cooper Kupp: Chemistry with Matthew Stafford was big part of historic season

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

When you look at Cooper Kupp’s career numbers, his 2021 campaign immediately sticks out as an incredibly special season. He never had more than 100 catches or 1,200 yards in a season, but in 2021, he went out and caught 145 passes for 1,947 yards and 16 touchdowns – more touchdowns than he had in the previous two years combined.

The most notable difference from his first four years to last season was at quarterback with Matthew Stafford taking Jared Goff’s place. While on “First Take,” Kupp credited Stafford’s arrival as a big part of his breakout year, and not just because he’s a great quarterback.

It’s the chemistry they developed that led to a historic season.

“Having Matthew Stafford come in and the player that he is, but I think it’s a mixture of not only just the player he is, but in terms of the way a quarterback and receiver see the game in the same way,” he said. “When you’ve got guys that understand the game and see it in a similar way, and then also want to attack things, be able to spend the time to sync up and really be able to see the game through each other’s eyes, I think that’s what makes a huge difference.”

Kupp went on to say he “didn’t do anything different” in 2021 than he did in years past, he just tried to be a better player. However, he and Stafford did have breakfast together every day at the facility and went over film as early as 6 a.m. – much to the surprise (and delight) of Aaron Donald.

That rapport can’t be overlooked because it was such a critical part of the Rams’ championship season.

“You get this opportunity to play with Matthew Stafford, just in terms of us being able to see things the same way, I think that’s what really allowed us to elevate that production,” he said.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Cooper Kupp: Chemistry with Stafford was big part of 2021 season…

Rams43210June 05, 2022 05:45AM

Well, no kidding…

Rams4372June 05, 2022 05:53AM