Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oldnotdead with some bold takes on Rams draft strategy…

May 18, 2022 07:02AM
Here’s oldnotdead…

Watch the draft room video. Watch how the Rams contemplated moving up to grab Bruss and how McVay worried he might not drop to 104. McVay mumbles something intriguing, that they view Bruss as a starter, IMO meaning this year, not a developmental project. A lot of evaluators feel that Bruss could easily be a day one starter at OG. All his weaknesses are coachable issues and can be addressed in OTAs and TC. We will know in TC if they indeed want him as a day one starter.

I think Garrett will be given an opportunity to take Okoronkwo's snaps and that made Obo expendable. I can see Lake getting rotational snaps at SS as well. If he plays well he will bump Rapp next year.

Troy Hill IMO was signed as injury depth. He's being paid basically vet minimum on a one year deal. The Browns just wanted him off the roster (buyers regret). The Browns saw how schematically limited he was after just one season. There is no guarantee Troy will make the final roster.

IMO Hardy's issues are technique related so he could see rotational snaps and could press Hollins if he can show coverage ability. Otherwise, he will be STs this year.

I see Durant pushing Deayon this year as Deayon is schematically limited. Durant gives Morris the option of moving Ramsey where ever he wants. Durant can play inside and outside and is schematically not limited as he can play man or zone. To begin with I think his rotational snaps will be at SCB which IMO will be his primary position. I love this pick because like Rochell he plays an aggressive style.

With the bye week being early it allows the Rams a few extra weeks to get some key rookies ready to play over the remaining stretch of games to finish the season.

I think the Ram's starters and rotational players are pretty set. That said I think Bruss is a day one starter at RG. By year's end if not sooner Durant will take Deayon's snaps. Williams should see spot duty with his snaps increasing after the bye. This draft was very focused on next year, i.e. replacing players like Hollins (Hardy), Rapp (Lake) and Deayon (Durant), Williams (Michel).

A lot could change after June 1 as I still think Snead trades for a splash edge. Also, a lot rests with how good Carter looks as a blocking TE/FB. It could mean that we could see more 21 personnel this year. This would open the door for signing OBJ with the expectation of a mid-December return. It would be interesting to see Carter lined up as a FB with Robinson (X), OBJ (Y) and Kupp (Z). If the box is light the Rams run, if the D plays with a stacked box then Stafford passes. That is how a FB can change this offense.

How does Williams change things? He's a better receiver than Michel. McVay can use his bunched WRs to the left to draw the SS out of the box, and influence the FS to the left. Stafford looks that way initially, but the play is really to Williams in the flats on the opposite side. If Williams can beat the single LB in coverage (i.e. the first tackle) he can break one. This would work if Williams establishes himself as a blocking 3rd down RB.

McVay is already using less pre-snap motion. With Stafford's ability to read, it's not necessary. The next evolution should be in the run game. If McVay wants to run a power run attack then he needs a lead blocker. That in turn opens up the return of the play-action pass game. This offense could change dramatically if Carter is indeed their FB.

We will learn more once TC starts. OTAs are where coaches experiment so people can't take what they see too seriously, i.e. Corbett as a center. What we see in TC will be pretty much what they expect to go to war with during the regular season.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Oldnotdead with some bold takes on Rams draft strategy…

Rams43291May 18, 2022 07:02AM

FWIW

3030184May 18, 2022 07:12AM

I like the read even though I disagree with the Hill eval

Stafford9114May 18, 2022 09:47AM