Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Troy Hill’s versatility was a big factor in Rams trading for him…

May 03, 2022 05:45AM
Troy Hill's versatility was a big factor in Rams trading for him

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

The biggest move the Rams made during the 2022 NFL draft wasn’t the selection of Logan Bruss in the third round or their trade up to draft Kyren Williams. It was the deal they made with the Browns to bring Troy Hill back to Los Angeles.

It was a trade that almost no one saw coming, and it happened right after the Rams selected Decobie Durant in the fourth round. Bringing Hill back solidified the secondary after losing Darious Williams in free agency, and it only cost them a fifth-round pick in 2023.

Knowing the Browns had great depth at cornerback, and then seeing them draft another corner (Martin Emerson) 68th overall, the Rams kept a close eye on Hill’s availability. They’re thrilled to have him in the secondary again, and his versatility is a big reason for that.

“He’s a guy that played really good football for us, especially in the first year we were running a version of this system when we first got Coach Staley. And then obviously Raheem has put his own spin on it. But I think just the overall production, the position flex, the ability to be able to play that nickel, that star position. Be able to play outside,” Sean McVay said after the draft. “He’s a guy we’re very familiar with and as they say, distance makes the heart grow fonder. So you appreciate Troy when you look back on how well he played throughout the course of his career since I got here, but I just think the overall instincts, the toughness that’s required to be able to play inside with the way this game has evolved where you are a part of the run fit, but you’ve also got great concept trigger, awareness, ball skills.”

In his final season with the Rams in 2020, Hill had his best year in the NFL. He picked off three passes and returned two of them for touchdowns, breaking up a career-high 10 passes and forcing one fumble. He also returned a fumble for a touchdown, giving him three scores on the year.

That ability to turn takeaways into points stood out to McVay, and hopefully that can continue in 2022.

“One of the things I remember most about Troy with his last year with us was just the ball production, but scoring,” McVay continued. “He has three touchdowns for us. He’s able to do a lot of different things. … Just the versatility. Being able to get him back, I know he was excited and the players are excited to get him back with us, as well.”

Jalen Ramsey was elated to learn that Hill is re-joining the Rams, and he should be. The two played well together in 2020, and now that Ramsey is playing in the slot more, Hill’s position flexibility makes it even easier for the Rams to move both players around.

He should be a big part of the secondary next season.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Troy Hill’s versatility was a big factor in Rams trading for him…

Rams43411May 03, 2022 05:45AM

Re: Troy Hill’s versatility was a big factor in Rams trading for him…

Ramstien149May 03, 2022 06:03AM

Re: Troy Hill’s addition only 1/2 of a great draft IMHO…

oldschoolramfan120May 03, 2022 09:50AM

Re: Troy Hill’s addition only 1/2 of a great draft IMHO…

Ramstien100May 03, 2022 11:29AM

just shows how the Rams regretted letting him leave…

Rampage2K-109May 03, 2022 12:57PM