Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

20 random post-draft thoughts by AvengerRam…

May 02, 2022 05:10AM
Here’s AvengerRam…

1. Welcome to our 8 new Rams!

2. The Rams lost 6 starters from their Super Bowl winning team. Now that the draft is over, we can evaluate how those positions will be manned in 2022.

3. Left Tackle: Andrew Whitworth (retired). Joe Noteboom has been groomed to replace him. While I don't think Noteboom will ever be the player Whitworth was, he has demonstrated the ability to man the left side in this offense.

4. Wide Receiver: Odell Beckham (injured/unsigned). This one is complicated, as OBJ may return. The signing of Allen Robinson, though, ensures that this spot will be filled by a very capable player. If OBJ comes back, the WR corps could be stronger next year than it was last by the time we enter the playoffs.

5. Right Guard: Austin Corbett (FA/signed with Carolina). The Rams drafted Login Bruss from Wisconsin in Round 3, and re-signed Coleman Shelton. They are the most likely candidate to take over this spot. My money's on Bruss, who I think can provide the same level of play as Corbett.

6. Inside Linebacker: Troy Reeder (FA/signed with L.A. Chargers). The Rams signed Bobby Wagner. Massive upgrade.

7. EDGE: Von Miller (FA/signed with Buffalo). This was the one that surprised me. I thought that the Rams would target an EDGE rusher in Round 3 or 4. Instead, they waited until Round 7 to take Daniel Hardy, who is a developmental prospect at this point. There are two primary reasons for this. First, the Rams may believe that they have enough with Justin Hollins, Terrell Lewis and Chris Garrett. Second, the Rams could be targeting one of the veteran FAs still out there (Jadaveon Clowney, Melvin Ingram, Jerry Hughes). I could see this one going either way.

8. Cornerback: Darrious Williams (FA/signed with Jacksonville). I feel much much better about this spot now. In addition to Robert Rochelle, who is an interesting second-year player, the Rams added Decobie Durant in Round 4, Derion Kendrick in Round 6, and Troy Hill via trade. The Rams now have depth at the position, and some young players who could develop into starters who could exceed DWill's performance.

9. I'm not expecting Tyrann Mathieu at this point, but I won't rule him out. He'd be an interesting addition, but he's not essential.

10. I thought the Rams would take a RB in Rounds 3-5, but I had them targeting bigger power backs. Kyren Williams doesn't have that size, but he's a tough, hard-nosed runner who has the receiving and blocking skills to be an ideal 3rd down back. That could save a lot of wear and tear on Cam Akers and Darrell Henderson. I also love Williams' obvious passion fort the game.

11. I'm pretty surprised the Seahawks didn't take a QB.

12. I'm not impressed by the Cardinals' trade for Hollywood Brown. At most, he'll replace Christian Kirk's production.

13. The 49ers are in a bizarre circumstance. They were 15 minutes from the Super Bowl just a few months ago, now they have a lame duck QB waiting to be traded, an offensive MVP wanting to be traded, and a starting QB to-be who's barely played in the last three years.

14. If the Rams make it back to the Super Bowl, they might see the Bengals again. They've had a strong offseason.

15. I remember making picks in the first round... in the before time... In the long, long ago.

16. For our "UDFA most likely to, at least, make the practice squad," I'll go with Brayden Thomas, DE, NDSU.

17. It should be an interesting camp, with a rookie class of 8 prospects (plus UDFAs) competing with second-year players who had their rookie campaigns cut short by injury (Tutu Atwell, Jacob Harris, Robert Rochelle) or who were not able to consistently crack the active roster (Chris Garrett, Bobby Brown).

18. The lack of TE draftees suggest that Higbee, Blanton and Hopkins are likely safe as the depth chart for 2022.

19. There could be a flurry of FA signings after tomorrow at 4:00 (when signings no longer impact next year's Comp pick formula). Then, for the first time since last May/June... things will be quiet for a while.

20. And then... we run it back!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

20 random post-draft thoughts by AvengerRam…

Rams43398May 02, 2022 05:10AM

Re: 20 random post-draft thoughts by AvengerRam…

Thirtymac, The Intrepid Ram134May 02, 2022 05:27AM

droopy199May 02, 2022 05:29AM

Rams43106May 02, 2022 08:23AM

GroundPounder157May 02, 2022 05:36AM

Re: post-draft thoughts......

oldschoolramfan165May 02, 2022 06:15AM