Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Allen2 McVay has some thoughts on the asst coach hirings…

February 22, 2022 09:15AM
Here’s Allen2McVay…

Despite losing their Offensive Coordinator and the TE-coach / passing-game-coordinator, I am really liking the Rams' Offensive Staff. Adding Liam Coen and Greg Olson, plus an experienced coach in Jake Peetz would seem to more than just off-set the losses, including offensive-assistant Chris O'Hara who joined O'Connell to MN.

When Coen first joined the Rams as an assistant-WR-coach, I thought he was a little goofy-looking, and did not give him much thought over the next three seasons. My Bad (I'm the goofy-one). When O'Connell was rumored to be a candidate for several jobs, I started thinking about who could replace him; and like many others, thought about Coen. So I started reading, and found plenty to be impressed about. Coen has at least as many credentials and as much of a resume (if not more) than Matt Lafleur, Zac Taylor and Kevin O'Connell when they were first joined the Rams.

The one thing Coen lacks is coordinator-level-experience in the NFL. That's where I really like the Greg Olson addition. Add-in that Olson has worked under McVay with the Rams, and I would expect a seamless-transition. Now I don't know Peetz at all but he has NFL experience; and has worked with McVay. Both plusses.

Factor in the return of well-regarded Thomas Brown, a top-WR-coach in Eric Yarber, an OL-coach that I think did well in his first season in Kevin Carberry and another young offensive mind/former-QB in Zac Robinson ... and ... that's a formidable offensive-staff. And the Head Coach is OK too.

A little more…

Love the Offensive Staff right now but would like to see another solid addition to the Defense.

Morris is set at Coordinator. Henderson is a terrific DL-coach (fingers-crossed he stays). Shula seems solid (and on really good terms with McVay). Expecting Cooley to get bumped-up to DB-coach. Beake seems like a good addition that could fill a couple roles. The only defensive-assistant (Lcool smiley is Thad Bogardus, who has been around for a while. I think that's it right now.

Figure Henderson will get an assistant-DL-coach to replace Dixon but would like to see another DB-coach. Loved the combination of Aubrey Pleasant and Ejiro Evero from 2017-2020; and hated to see Pleasant go last off-season (but was happy for him).

Feel the same way about Evero. Hoping Jonathan Cooley will be great but would like to see another experienced-DB-coach added. I guess someone on the staff could be re-assigned; and since Raheem Morris was a DB-coach, maybe the Rams don't feel it's necessary to add someone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2022 09:17AM by Rams43.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Allen2 McVay has some thoughts on the asst coach hirings…

Rams43222February 22, 2022 09:15AM