Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MMQB: The Rams’ Best Players Stepped Up in the Biggest Moments to Win Super Bowl

February 14, 2022 12:30PM
MMQB: The Rams’ Best Players Stepped Up in the Biggest Moments to Win Super Bowl LVI

Sean McVay talks about the contributions of Matthew Stafford, Cooper Kupp and Aaron Donald as the team captured a championship. Plus, offseason questions for both teams and plenty of notes on the end of the coach hiring cycle.

ALBERT BREER

LOS ANGELES — Sean McVay strode through the bowels of SoFi Stadium with the edge of a high-wire Super Bowl finally wearing off. He’d traded his sweats for gray suit pants and a matching vest over a white button-down shirt. He had his defensive coordinator and close friend, Raheem Morris, flanking him and a vodka drink in his left hand in an oversize, silver cup emblazoned with the Rams’ logo.

And as he closed in on the team bus, taking him off to celebrate, the points he kept making about Super Bowl LVI only mirrored what he’s preached over five years in L.A.

“It epitomizes what’s great about our best players. They shine the brightest in the tightest moments when they’ve gotta do it,” McVay told me. “You hear me talk about competitive greatness all the time, being your best when your best is required. Matthew Stafford, Cooper Kupp, Aaron Donald. I thought [Andrew] Whitworth’s protection was outstanding. And they’re world champs now.”

The Rams—after elbowing their way through a tractor pull of a game and scoring a 23–20 TKO of a feisty Bengals team—sure are. And McVay wasn’t done.

“The best part about this team, Albert, is they played for each other,” he continued. “You bring in guys that are superstars like Von Miller and Odell Beckham [Jr.], and they were huge superstars that were instrumental in us winning this championship, but they wanted to win for their teammates as much as anything. I thought we came together as a team at the most important moments.

“That’s why this is so special, because everybody wanted it more for somebody else other than themselves.”

Over the last month, McVay talked about winning a Lombardi Trophy for Stafford. Eric Weddle talked about winning one for Donald. Everyone wanted to win one for Whitworth.

Which, really, is what McVay strived to build—we, not me—since he got the job in 2017.

FULL ARTICLE- [www.si.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2022 12:30PM by RamBill.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

MMQB: The Rams’ Best Players Stepped Up in the Biggest Moments to Win Super Bowl

RamBill186February 14, 2022 12:30PM