Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I’m not giving up on Rams DB Darious Williams just yet…

February 07, 2022 07:46AM
[ramblinfan.com]

I’m not giving up on LA Rams DB Darious Williams just yet

by Bret Stuter

The surge of LA Rams defensive back Darious Williams performance in 2020 defense was astonishing, just as is his fading away into anonymity this season. Something has changed, and many are puzzled by that drop. But before you grab your torches and pitchforks to mark on Castle Raheem Morris, let’s pause, take a deep breath, and dare to take a bigger picture view of the LA Rams defense this year.

Willams is a solid pass defender. He stands 5-foot-9 and weighs 187-pounds. Because he is not 6-foot-1 and 205-pounds, he must make up the difference of any shortfall in physicality with his above-average athleticism and agility. This year, he fell to an ankle injury in Week 5 against the Seattle Seahawks. He was on injured reserve through the rest of October 2021, not returning until Week 9 against the Tennessee Titans.

His return coincided with the LA Rams‘ longest losing streak of the season. The Rams lost to the Tennessee Titans in Week 9, to the San Francisco 49ers in Week 10, and to the Green Bay Packers in Week 12.

There are several reasons for the change in Williams’ production in 2021. Perhaps now is as good of a time as any to talk about it.

How have Winds of Change blown this time?

The first thing that comes to mind is the way that the LA Rams cover receivers this year. As you may recall, the Rams have been experimenting this year in various roles for DB Jalen Ramsey to get him more involved in the defense. In 2020, quarterbacks determined who Ramsey was defending and simply threw to a different receiver. This year, that has not been the case. Ramsey has migrated to the outside receivers, to the slot receivers, and even lined up against the tight end at times.

The result? Ramsey’s production has been amplified considerably. But Williams’ production, now playing against more formidable receivers, has dropped. But in terms of tackles? Williams/Ramsey combined for 88 tackles and five interceptions in 2020. The pair combined for 148 tackles and four interceptions in 2021. The production has been more of a shift than a drop after all.

But the other change is that with the Rams mixing and matching coverages with Ramsey, that has forced Williams into less-than-ideal matchups. Williams had to cover TE Zach Ertz against the Arizona Cardinals, TE Rob Gronkowski against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and TE George Kittle against the San Francisco 49ers. They all created matchup nightmares, which explains why Williams’ post-season grade with Pro Football Focus has plummeted to an alarming 43.2 grade.

Good matchup for Darious Williams

If we presume that Ramsey will primarily cover Ja’Marr Chase, then Williams will likely draw coverage on Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Tee Higgins or Tyler Boyd. Both players are better matchups for Williams because they are route runners who rely upon creating separation with speed and quick turns. Thankfully, that is right in Darious Williams’ wheelhouse, as he can be very velcro-like in his ability to stay close to receivers to deny them the football.

Even as Williams will give up some height, he is magical in his body control and leaping ability, and can time his jump to arrive at the right spot just as the football arcs into the vicinity of the receiver. Williams hasn’t lost his touch. He has simply run aground of some unfavorable matchups in the playoffs so far.

Williams is likely playing his last game for the LA Rams unless something drastically changes. As such, he will have every incentive in the world to put up one of the best games of his career against the Cincinnati Bengals. If that does not persuade the Rams organization to make a fair market offer for his services in 2022 and beyond, he certainly has the stage and spotlight to generate a bevy of offers from other NFL teams looking for a starting defensive back.

I’m not giving up on Darious Williams, folks. This game is a perfect stage to showcase his talents for the rest of the NFL. I expect him to put up one of his best performances.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

I’m not giving up on Rams DB Darious Williams just yet…

Rams43334February 07, 2022 07:46AM

Re: I’m not giving up on Rams DB Darious Williams just yet…

Classicalwit102February 07, 2022 08:24AM

I just don't agree with the premise....

roman18105February 07, 2022 09:26AM

I promised someone I would buy a Williams jersey…

sstrams168February 07, 2022 09:42AM

Article fairly written, and goodness the difference in tackles

alyoshamucci107February 07, 2022 10:25AM

Re: Article fairly written, and goodness the difference in tackles

Rams4358February 07, 2022 10:28AM

I'd use him on doubles

merlin77February 07, 2022 11:42AM

Re: I'd use him on doubles

SoCalRAMatic66February 07, 2022 12:03PM

Chase is like Kupp

merlin96February 07, 2022 12:43PM

Re: Chase is like Kupp