Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A repeat of my Super Bowl Experience...

February 04, 2022 01:16PM
1980, season of '79. Rose Bowl.

Tailgating wasn't much of a thing back then... no matter, my brother-in-law, (who attended with me), and I didn't tailgate. We drove down the night before the game... didn't really need to do that but it gave "ME" something to other than pacing the floor and driving everyone around me insane. My brother-in-law was, (get ready to recoil), a Vikings fan.

Day of the game we got to the Rose Bowl hours before the gates opened. We watched the groundkeeper crew arrive, the TV crews. We were very early.

We were first in the gate, and began to circle the Rose Bowl - just looking around - and we saw some 'tailgates' setting up, and this was INSIDE the gates, not the parking lots. I'm guessing VIP's? It had to be because...

Some of the tailgates were very elaborate, (I'm coming to that), with tents that could seat a few dozen. So after a half hour or so of wandering the grounds one of these large tents was completed and the "VIPS" took their seats... it was catered. Ok, that 'elaborate' thing... get this, they had an actual whole pig with an apple in it's mouth, I kid you not. My brother-in-law and I were in awe. The center of the long table looked like the dinner scene from Harry Potter Movies.

We heard them discussing the game, actually football in general... and I heard two guys arguing about a point of football history, and placing a bet on it... but they had no way of confirming the answer to the question they were betting on. As I said, I overheard the question so not being the least bit shy I sauntered over and offered, "I know the answer to that question"..

The two gentleman both introduced themselves, then we shared a little small talk, (where you from, how long you been a fan, etc etc), and both agreed that they'd accept my answer to settle their bet. They shook hands, and I gave them the answer. You know this has a happy ending, right? laughing smiley

The guy who won the bet burst out in laughter, the guy who lost cursed under his breath but accepted my answer... then the guy who won told me and my brother-in-law to grab a plate and have a seat. THUS:

For my first Super Bowl, Ram's vs Steelers, I dined on roast pig, with an apple in his mouth, and no few glasses of champagne. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

just a PSA for the SoCal fans - re: Super Bowl Experience

Ramsrule321February 04, 2022 11:34AM

Re: Super Bowl Experience...Top 3 MUST DO's!

oldschoolramfan118February 04, 2022 11:47AM

Re: Super Bowl Experience...Top 3 MUST DO's!

Ramsrule124February 04, 2022 11:54AM

Super Bowl Experience is great for parents and kids

JimYoungblood53223February 04, 2022 12:54PM

A repeat of my Super Bowl Experience...

JamesJM51February 04, 2022 01:16PM

I have discount code for anyone who wants it 50% off…

Rampage2K-69February 04, 2022 06:25PM