Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

20 random pre-SB thoughts by AvengerRam…

February 03, 2022 05:24PM
Here’s AvengerRam…

1. Its February, and I'm still doing weekly "20 Random Thoughts" posts. That makes me happy!

2. My mood is so much different from last week. Before the NFCCG against the 49ers, I was tense, anxious, and dreading the possibility of watching our most hated rival celebrating on our field. Today, I'm feeling calm, confident, and really looking forward to Super Bowl Sunday. Don't get me wrong... I couldn't want one more win more than I do now, and I know there are no guarantees. But, right now, there is no fear, no dread... just anticipation.

3. In a lot of areas, I think the Rams' and Bengals' talent level are comparable. There are two areas, however where I think the Rams have a key advantage. The first, which many have pointed out, is our pass rushers should have success against their offensive line. The second is that, among all the CBs in the game, only one has the ability to truly shut down a No. 1 WR, and that's Jalen Ramsey.

4. I also think there is a home field advantage. Its not about the crowd (though I would think that, among partisan attendees, we'll have a bit of an advantage). Its more about (1) the benefits of the players being in their own homes, rather than on the road, during the Super Bowl week circus, and (2) the familiarity with the stadium and the field (the Bengals have never played in SoFi).

5. The week off is definitely a plus. Many of our key players, including Matthew Stafford, Andrew Whitworth, Von Miller and Leonard Floyd, have played through bumps and bruises. A week of rest has to do these guys good at this stage in the season.

6. Speaking of Floyd... I think he could be something of an X-factor in this game. With extra attention going to Miller and, of course, Aaron Donald, he could be do for one of his multi-sack games.

7. On offense, I expect the running game to be more productive than it was against the Bucs and 49ers. On straight running plays (hand-offs to RBs), the Bengals have given up 5.6 yards/carry in the playoffs. Their opponents, however, have run less than 19 straight running plays/game. The Rams, by contrast, have averaged nearly 27 straight running plays/game in the playoffs. I expect that McVay will look to establish the run early and will not abandon it.

8. If the running game is successful, the Bengals defense will not, in my opinion, be able to stop Matthew Stafford from having a big game.

9. I have to say, of all the potential AFC opponents, the Bengals may be the one I have the least emotional reaction to. We have no real history with them of any significance, and I don't have any real thoughts about their fan base.

10. They are, however, a talented team that has done a great job getting to the big game. I completely respect their team, and recognize that the Rams need to play a good game to win this one.

11. Pretty psyched about the modern throwbacks being the attire. Does seem like the bone jerseys will be short-lived.

12. I really hope Tyler Higbee can play. I have a lot of confidence in Kendall Blanton, though, if he can't.

13. If Cooper Kupp has 58+ receiving yards, he will have the second most receiving yards in a single playoffs in NFL history. If he goes over 160 yards, he will surpass Larry Fitzgerald record of 546 yards.

14. If could go back in time to October and make any prop bet I wanted to, I wonder what kind of odds I could have received on Cam Akers and Eric Weddle both playing in the Super Bowl this year...

15. List of Rams head coaches to lead the team to 2 Super Bowls: Sean McVay.

16. What to serve for the Super Bowl meal.... hmmm.....

17. Robert Woods won't be on the field. That makes me sad. If the Rams win, though, he'll receive a ring, and he will have earned it.

18. If Elephants had solid gold tusks, I guess they'd be poached more than McVay assistants. Maybe.

19. Earlier this year, I implored myself and others to try to enjoy the ride. There have been tense moments, and it hasn't always been easy, but I am enjoying this.

20. Just need one more win....
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

20 random pre-SB thoughts by AvengerRam…

Rams43268February 03, 2022 05:24PM

Re: 20 random pre-SB thoughts by AvengerRam…

Thirtymac, The Intrepid Ram63February 04, 2022 04:44AM