Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Biggest game in 20+ years

January 29, 2022 08:52AM
Folks, this game is really, really big. Of course, all title games are. But there is so much more going on here.

First there is the whole AD window, which involves other vets as well. We blew it a couple years ago. But we were still relative newcomers to the scene and, frankly, AD was younger.

Then there is the matter of the FO laying all of those bets on Ramsey, Stafford, OBJ, Miller ... I don't fully buy the idea that it is now or never, but damn, we have staked a lot on short term assets.

Then there is McVay. He is the Wunderkind with feet of clay. If he once again allows the coach up north to beat him, his rep will take a major hit. I think he feels this and I hope to hell he doesn't freeze up coaching the game.

Then there is the competitive rivalry with that team up north. Many of us remember the long, long streak of losses to Montana and Young. Now, they were a better team than we were, but damn it's hard to get over the mental burden of a long streak.

And then there is the Socal/Nocal thing. You folks live it. (I live in MN.) But after the team was gone for decades, then returned to LA and now must share their killer stadium with the Chargers ... Damn. As D'Marco says this week in Between the Horns, this is a huge opportunity to root the team in the city. But lose and ... Ugh.

Lose and our year ends in disappointment. True every playoff year. But facing those people who have had our number more or less since the freaking '70s ... oh, Man. This is unbelievable. And all I have to do is watch.

The good news is that our lads will be pumped beyond belief. The bad news is that they will almost assuredly be tight, trying to quell those demons in their heads. I really hope Von can help them find the right edge. And, again, I am really concerned about McVay.

Well, I remember '99. A couple of you may remember that my alma mater--Div. 3--finally beat the Evil Empire up north of the Cities on the Saturday before the Rams-Creeps game. I remember posting feverishly that night about the game the next day. The stars seemed aligned, and sure enough, 24 hours later, Ike was convulsing in sobs on the bench as we slayed the beast.

Dare I hope for another day like that?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Biggest game in 20+ years

RFL207January 29, 2022 08:52AM

All that stuff....

JamesJM81January 29, 2022 09:25AM

LOL. I don't envy ...

RFL115January 29, 2022 09:36AM

LOL.. well, as I've said RFL....

JamesJM65January 29, 2022 09:41AM