Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mental Game and Discipline

January 25, 2022 07:59AM
One of the most fascinating aspects of sports is the mental game. Against the Whiners, we have a lot to prove against a team that has had the mental edge on us for years.

Now, in general, I feel pretty good about our mental game. We have proven in many games that we can remain focused and play pretty well down the stretch. That win against TB is the sort of thing that raises a team's competitive focus and makes them hard to beat.

However, there are 3 problems. First, we obviously struggle to play 60 minutes. Second, we make mistakes.

Third, the opponent is the Whiners. And they have a clear mental edge on us, proven by 6 straight wins, despite having in some ways the "lesser" team.

Folks, these guys KNOW they can beat us. They will not flinch even if we are soaring against them. They know we tend to break down and that they will be there, punching with discipline, for 60 minutes or more. There is no real mental weakness to attack there.

A big part of it all is their style of game. They have a restrained but relentless approach to football based on disciplined power. Jourdan talks this week about how they attack the middle level and they demand that an opponent tackle relentlessly, with fundamental discipline. Again and again and again. You can't beat that offense with big plays other than turnovers. QB pressure isn't the key unless you get the sack. And they make that hard to do. They just keep coming and you have to keep tackling them.

Um, we are not great at that. We just aren't. You know that as well as I do.

On offense, we can beat them, but, again, we struggle to execute well over 4 quarters. We can probably run on them better than we did against TB, but we can't just grind them down on the ground. And their pass rush is perhaps better than TB's. We will have good drives. But can we score in the RZ? Can we keep churning? If we get a lead, can we get that balance between milking the clock and remaining aggressive? Can Stafford keep his good streak going or will he relapse? Can he be accurate or will he have one of those off-synch games?

Can McVay manage his emotions and call sound game for 4 quarters?

All of this comes down to mental discipline. We have a considerably higher ceiling than they do. But they play at a level of discipline that is often above our heads. And they do it relentlessly.

We can't beat SF with passion and a thirst for revenge. We have to channel our passion into discipline.

Now, I believe that, as a team, we have grown a lot in these areas over the year. I think Stafford has grown in understanding how he has to play running a team with this much talent. I think Morris has learned a lot about how to coach this bunch and play to its strengths. I think Week 18 showed us that we CAN do what it takes to rise above this nemesis and assert our superiority. The 1st half was, I think, revealing.

But we then broke down. Not enough mental discipline. Not enough relentless toughness. And they re-asserted their mental edge on us.

So what happens Sunday? No prediction here, but I think I can see 2 possibilities.

If we play well for substantial stretches of the game ... we will lose. If both teams play, say, a B+ game, their discipline will beat us. Obviously, anything less than that will doom us. (I cannot see them playing less than a solid B game.) They possess a major mental edge against us as well as matching up well against our weaknesses.

To beat them, we need to raise our level of mental discipline by a major factor. Our defense, e.g., must play with disciplined containment. It will NOT be like the last 2 weeks. A guy like AD must range along the LOS making plays. Getting up field will accomplish little. Our LBs and DBs must be in position and then tackle surely and consistently. Over and over again. MS must keep making reads, walking a fine line between safety and precise execution. We must keep the ball moving--first downs will be almost as important as points. Beating them on both sides of the ball will require relentless patience and discipline.

(How many times have I used the word relentless here?)

I don't know if we can do that. We've seen signs of all of this in the last 7 games or so, even, for a half, against SF. And we have a lot of veteran leadership. (I think Miller is a major factor as a leader who is helping guys understand what winning playoff games is about.) I think we are just there, on the brink ...

But can we close the mental gap with Shanhan's team? Is Sean ready to take Shanny's soul?

I dunno. I don't. I fear not. And I cannot imagine what another loss to SF will feel like.

But, hey, I also remember '99. That early season game when we broke through. Ike sobbing on the bench. Maybe, just maybe ...

It's about the mind, folks. That's where the game will be decided.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Mental Game and Discipline

RFL95January 25, 2022 07:59AM