Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Transcripts 1/14/22

January 18, 2022 12:48AM
Los Angeles Rams vs. Arizona Cardinals Transcripts - Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Rams QB Matthew Stafford, Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury, Cardinals QB Kyler Murray - January 17, 2022
Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Rams QB Matthew Stafford, Cardinals Head Coach Kilff Kingsbury, Cardinals QB Kyler Murray
Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(Opening Statement)
“First of all, what a great job by our team. I thought our guys were ready to go. Defense was outstanding from the jump. (OLcool smiley Von (Miller) made his presence felt right away making a couple sacks. I thought (Ccool smiley David Long's (Jr.) touchdown to be able to put us up 21-nothing was how huge for us. Special teams was great. I thought we were able to sustain possession, being able to get both (Rcool smiley Sony (Michel) and (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) going in the run game. I thought (WR) Odell (Beckham Jr.) made his plays early. (Qcool smiley Matthew (Stafford) made great decisions. That was exactly what we wanted to be able to do. A lot of respect to the Cardinals. They had a good year, but our guys were ready to go and now we got to get ready for the Bucs on a short week. We're very pleased with it but now it's time to move on.”

(On any injury updates)
“You know what, I don't have those yet right now.”

(On how the offense was able to get settled with a balanced run game and pass game)
“Yeah, I think it was the early down efficiency. I thought our guys got great removal upfront. I thought our backs saw the lanes the right way. I thought Matthew when we did throw the football made great decisions, threw the ball accurately, got a lot of different guys involved. That's exactly what we want to be able to do and that's where you can be tough to defend.”

(On WR Odell Beckham Jr.’s long pass)
“Well, he threw a touchdown pass off that same play a couple years ago when he was in New York. So he's a very talented guy. We got a couple guys that can throw.”

(On if this was the defense’s best performance of the season)
“I think so. I mean, they played really well overall I think. But, what they did in the first half, I think they held them to 40 yards. I think it was one of the best performances in playoff history in the first -- you know, being able to hold a really explosive offense like that, to be able to get a defensive touchdown, a couple turnovers. Just so pleased with those guys and got a great challenge going against (Buccaneers Qcool smiley Tom Brady next week.

(On what he saw from RB Cam Akers today)
“It's unbelievable. And, really, I don't think the stats tell the story for how good he looked, leveling some runs off. He got a couple big time runs called back. Also, thoughts and prayers are with (Cardinals S) Budda Baker. I got tremendous respect for him. I'm hopeful that we'll get some news that he's going to be okay. But I thought Cam was outstanding. He did a great job. And he's only getting more and more confident. And you know what I love the most about him is what a confident, secure individual he is. A play I think he would want back earlier in the game and then he makes a great catch off the double pass in kind of that same spot. That thing hung up like a (Seahawks Qcool smiley Russell Wilson moon ball. It was great plays by those guys.

(On what they were able to do defensively in the first half that they weren’t able to do in the first matchup this year at home)
“Well, I think we were able to do some similar things the second time we played them like that. But any time you're able to apply pressure, kind of eliminate and knock out the run game, get them into some of those known passing situations, I thought we came out with just a great look in our eye. I thought the coaches put together a good game plan but ultimately the players executed. And there was a lot of guys that contributed, and the defense was phenomenal.

(On DL Marquise Copeland’s interception)
“You know what, you'll have to ask him that. But that was awesome. To be able to get that many guys involved in making those kind of plays, that's what you love.”

(On if we saw more success in a zone or man defense tonight)
“Yeah, I thought our guys did a good job playing and a complete game and that's what we wanted to be able to do coming in here. I loved the way we responded from obviously a tough one last week. Our guys are really mentally tough and now we got to be able to stack another block next week against the Bucs.”

(On QB Matthew Stafford getting his first playoff win)
“Yeah, I thought he did a great job leading the way. He's still the same great player to me, and he always was before this game as well. I think it's good so you guys don't have to talk about that anymore so he can get that one out of the way. But really proud of him. Just so lucky to be able to do this with him. He's our leader. We wouldn't be here without him.”

(On how the team was able to play under such control)
“I think it was a combination of everything. I thought he did a great job, number one, but we were able to stay in those manageable situations. I thought it was a really good, complementary football game that we played as a team. So many guys got involved and we were able to kind of control the possession.
Defensively was smothering all day and kind of enabled us to be able to operate like that. And Matthew did a great job with the opportunities he had throwing the football. And he really managed the run game well as well.”

(On what kind of challenge Buccaneers QB Tom Brady poses for our team next week)
“You just said it. It's a great challenge because they're a complete team. They looked outstanding against Philly the other day. We know what a great football team this is. They're a complete team. And they do an excellent job in all three phases. And certainly, we've got our work cut out for us. A lot has changed since Week 4. We’ve got a lot of work to do in a short amount of time to get up to speed and put together a good plan to try and put our players in the best spots on Sunday at 3:00 o'clock or whenever the game is.”

(On putting together a signature win with a lot of chaos around the team with injuries in the secondary)
“Yeah, I mean, first of all, what a credit to (Dcool smiley Eric Weddle and even (Dcool smiley Blake Countess being ready to go and be available as well. But Eric is such a special player. I think it's a credit to the creative thought process from our defensive coaches, (Secondary/Pass Game Coordinator) Coach (Ejiro) Evero, (Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Raheem) Morris, being able to say, ‘Hey, this is a guy that if there's anyone capable of doing what he did…’ Anyways, it was unbelievable what Eric Weddle was able to do. And then come in and contribute. He's one of those guys that just elevates. We talk about igniters all the time, you make everybody around you better. That's what Eric Weddle is. I think he's only going to build on this for next week.”

(On how he copes with the chaos of the week and dealing with injuries in the secondary)
“Yeah, it's really the people. I think we’ve got the right people. Hopefully we'll get (S) Taylor Rapp back. Obviously, it's a big loss losing (S) Jordan Fuller. I thought (ILcool smiley Troy Reeder did an excellent job being able to have the dot (mic) today with great communication. Eric's a special guy. I'm not in the least bit surprised but you’re certainly grateful that he was available and willing to do what he's doing.”

(On playing on Martin Luther King Day today)
“Yeah, I think it's special to be able to be the first team to be able to play on this special day with such a special man that had such an impact on the way that we operate moving forward. It's amazing to be able to kind of have a tribute to him and I thought our guys did a great job recognizing him with the way they played today and, really, as a connected team. That's the most important thing. I think one of the things that great leaders do like Dr. King, they make all the situations they're a part of and they bring people together and that's what I think our team demonstrated today.”

Rams QB Matthew Stafford
(On getting the first playoff win of his career)
“Yeah, I mean, I'm just excited for our team to get the win. Obviously, what a team effort. I mean, our defense played outstanding tonight. Special teams basically set up a score with (P) Johnny (Hekker) pinning them down there. Did a great job on field goals. We were good enough on offense to score some points and come away with a win. Just happy to be moving on.”

(On if a playoff win means anything to him personally)
“I think it means a lot more to you guys and all that. I just want to be a part of this team and help us win. I trust in myself, trust in my abilities, trust in my teammates. I'll go out there and play and let the chips fall where they may.”

(On how special the environment was with the fans at SoFi Stadium)
“It was awesome. They did a great job. There was definitely, when our defense is out there, pretty awesome, you know, the way they responded and the way they came out and cheered for us tonight. Our defense did a bunch to keep them cheering, which was great. Just happy to get a win at home.”

(On WR Odell Beckham Jr.’s throw down the sideline to RB Cam Akers)
“Yeah that’s a play we practiced this week. (WR) Odell (Beckham Jr.) is a super talented guy. He made that throw right-handed, he could probably do it lefty, too. He's a freak. But just really well executed. (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) did a great job walking underneath it, made a play. Kudos to (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) for calling it that time. It was an awesome call. I thought Sean did a great job of setting us up for success really all night and we made some plays when we had the chances.”

(On what the team learned from last week and how they implemented those lessons in tonight’s win)
“Yeah, I thought we had a great plan coming into the game. There were a couple wrinkles that they showed that were a little bit different. Some of the stuff on third down they were doing but we were still able to execute and make some plays. But Sean, again, came up with a great one. We went out there and executed it well and moved it up and down the field. We had a short field a bunch. Our defense scored. Those kinds of things are huge in any game and in a playoff game, it's going to be magnified even more. Just proud of our team.”

(On the offensive line creating large holes for the running backs tonight)
“Yeah, it was outstanding. Both in the run game and the pass game. That's a tough front we were playing. That's a really good front seven. They can really get after the passer, they can stop the run, they can do all of it. Just proud of those guys the way they played. They played great all season, to be honest with you. Did a great job of keeping me clean, giving me chances to work the ball down the field. And then in the run game, moving guys out of the way and our backs did a great job of reading the creases.”

(On his initial thoughts about playing Tampa Bay next week)
“A huge challenge. Going into their place, a tough place to play, a place they've been really good this year. Obviously, a fantastic quarterback, great defense, a really good football team. It will be a big challenge for us. I think their team is different than when we played them last, and I think we are too. I think both personnel and scheme a little bit as you always evolve throughout the season. It'll be interesting to see what they look like here as of late and we'll go out there and attack and see what happens.”

(On how he felt about his performance tonight)
“You know, I felt like I was putting the ball in the right place for the majority of the night. I had to throw one away towards (WR) Coop(er) (Kupp) one time. But other than that, I felt like the ball was going to the right place in a pretty good spot. Our guys made great plays. That's how I expect to go out and play every game. It doesn't always happen that way. But just felt good out there, felt comfortable and our team played great.”

(On Beckham Jr’s performance tonight in his first playoff win)
“Yeah, he did great, both catching and throwing. He had another one that was called back too from a holding that was going to be a 25-yard plus gain that was great. He was separating all night. Making strong-hand catches doing what we know he can do. And just the more we have guys step up, (WR) Van (Jefferson) catches the deep one there late in the game for a big momentum play as well and then Cooper, what an unbelievable catch on his touchdown. They brought a full out blitz at the last second and had to get it out quick and he did a great job making a catch and then he iced the game in that four-minute drive with his couples catches and runs. So just a great team effort. (TE Tyler) Higbee got us started, it was everybody, both backs. But Odell definitely played really good football. That's two games in a row against the Cardinals that he's played really well.”
(On if it gets bigger in the playoffs then playing Buccaneers QB Tom Brady)
“No I mean, it's just the next step in the journey. He's an outstanding player. He's been doing it for a very long time. They've got a great football team. Their defense is really stout. They played really well this weekend, so we'll have to go and look at that. I'm not playing against him one-on-one, but I understand that he's a great player and he's going to get his team in the end zone so I got to do my part as well.”

(On what trends he sees from defenses and what he expects of Brady in the postseason that he will need to prepare himself for heading into next week)
“Yeah, absolutely. I mean, as a veteran quarterback, to be honest with you, I get that just about every week. Just about every week, teams are showing me something that looks like they did last week and it comes out to be a little bit different. This game on third down, some of their stuff they had not shown at all this year too. Got to just go out there and figure it out and go play. (Buccaneers Defensive Coordinator) Todd (Bowles) an unbelievable defensive coordinator. I've gone against him a bunch of times in my career. He gives you a lot to look at and they've got talented players so it will be a big challenge for us.”

Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury
(On how he explains what happened)
“You come out against a really good team and don't do anything right for the first two quarters, that's what's going to happen. We got to give them credit. They played a great game and we didn't do much right coaching or playing the first half.”

(On why he feels like the team performed the way they did tonight)
“I'm not sure. That's something we got to figure out. That's what those guys are talking about in the locker room. (We) got to use this as motivation and come back stronger from it because that's not indicative a of who we want to be. And unfortunately, that showed up tonight.”

(On what kind of message he tells his team after a game like this)
“Obviously, it starts with just appreciation for the season. It's a great group in that locker room that worked really hard and made some steps in this organization, but we're all just disappointed that we didn't play up to our potential. And once again, you got to give L.A. a lot of credit. They handled that game well and the atmosphere – you take your hat off to them.”

(On what he tried to do to get the offense moving forward)
“Early on, we missed a couple things that were close and just got out of rhythm. When you're dropping back against that group, it's not a good recipe. And that's where we found ourselves in. So, it just made it for a tough night.”

(On what he thinks went wrong not just tonight, but in the last several weeks)
“Just crucial mistakes at the wrong time. I'm not sure if we were pressing or not accustomed in that position. Whatever it was, we've got to look at it this offseason and figure out how we can get better down the stretch.”

(On how he feels Cardinals QB Kyler Murray was in the moment)
“I just think overall as an offense we were just out sync. (We were) close on a couple things early that that could have changed it, but never got into a rhythm and they made some big plays.”

(On how S Budda Baker is)
“(He) had feeling in everything. He is at the hospital being examined now, but seems to be positive news that I've got so far.”

(On if Baker is going to fly home with the team or stay)
“I'm not sure yet.”

(On how he feels about Cardinals DE J.J. Watt’s performance in his first game back from injury)
“I’ll have to watch the tape to see exactly, but anytime you have him around the guys and on the sideline, it's definitely good energy. Just, my hats off to him – how hard he worked to be able to come back. Everybody said they'd never seen anybody do that. So, it's a credit to the type of athlete he is, the type of person he is.”

(On if he can recall a game where Murray was contained to the degree he was today)
“They did a tremendous job. I'm not sure off the top of my head if I can think of an instance. I thought they flew around and did a great job of taking stuff away and containing us that entire first half.”

(On how he gets over the hump of what’s happened in the second halves of his seasons as Head Coach)
“We just got to keep looking at it, keep trying to find new ways to improve later on in the season – whatever that may be. That’s definitely a priority of this offseason.”

(On how hard was it to stop things when it started to spiral)
“It’s tough against a really good team. There's no doubt. I thought (QB Matthew) Stafford, once again, was efficient, didn't make any mistakes. (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) did a great job mixing up the play calling. And so, when you get behind and we were kind of playing on our heels at times - offensively and defensively - it just makes it tough to right the ship.”

(On what this team needs to go further)
“I think experience is a big part of it. There’s only one way to experience playoff football and that's to go through it. And unfortunately, we didn't play our best game and I thought L.A. played a great game, had a great plan, and out played us, and out coached us. But I think you just got to go through these moments and learn from it and grow from it and use it as motivation.”

(On if he finds the Rams to be legit contenders for the Super Bowl)
“I do, yeah. I think they can play with anybody when they're hot – protecting the football, running it, throwing it. They have some great weapons and a great defense.”

(On how this game in particular affects how he looks at the season as a whole)
“I'll have to look back and kind of digest it. I hate that it comes to an end with this group of guys. Like I said, I appreciate all their hard work, that they showed up week in, week out - through injuries, through COVID, through all that. Always businesslike and handled their business. So, I hate that I won't get to work with this group again.”

Cardinals QB Kyler Murray
(On how he would describe today)
“Disappointed. (We) prepare all week, all season to be where we are, and then again weren't competitive at all. It’s disappointing that we didn't make it a game and come out and play the football we know we're capable of playing. That's really the most disappointing part. Losing is one thing, but when you don't even make it competitive, it's another thing. So, that's just disappointing.

(On how he would assess himself)
“Obviously, I put a lot on my shoulders, put a lot on myself. Like I said, to dream of this moment and then to be in the first game of playoffs and then to play the way I did play, the way we did, it's like I said, it was disappointing.”

(On the Rams keeping their passing and running game down)
“I think it got out of hand early. It was one of those things where we have to be able to run the ball against those guys. You get into a drawback game, and they have three of the best rushers and passers along with good players in the back end, it's tough. They’re a good team, a good defense and we didn't execute our game plan.”

(On his thoughts on the season being a failure as DE JJ Watt said)
“I agree. I play in the Super Bowl. That's the goal, that's the mission, is to win the Super Bowl. Not to make it to playoffs or go to the second round. The goal is to win the Super Bowl. We felt short of that. So, yes, I agree.”

(On what he thought happened the last five weeks of the season and then today)
“I wish I could tell you. I wish I could tell you.”

(On if he thinks the Rams are Super Bowl contenders)
“I don't know. Obviously, whoever plays the best next week or whenever. I'm not too worried about what they're doing, to be honest.”

(On his frustration at the end of the season)
“Obviously just losing, I haven't really thought about the future or anything like that. Trying to soak all this in. There's a lot of emotions. Proud of the team, proud of the way we fought. Like I said, it was definitely a lot of disappointment, failure throughout the season and to end the season. But there's definitely a lot to build on as well. Like I said, I'm proud of the guys. It's just unfortunate. We didn't play our best tonight.”

(On what this team needs to get over the hump)
“Again, I think that's one thing we'll address going forward. But right now, I don't really have any words about the future, right now.”

(On it being tough with so many of his teammates hitting free agency)
“Yeah. I mean, again, that's one of those things that it won't sink in until maybe a couple days or whatever. But hopefully we can get some of those guys back, if not all of them. When you build relationships with these guys, that's always the tough part about sports is here one day, gone the next. So (inaudible).

(On having a good week of practice but that not translating to the game).
“Just again, we didn't execute. The plan was got away early. That's really all I can say. And then we didn't play well at all, so.”

(On what he was trying to do on the pick-six)
“At that point being sacked, it was safety. But I was just trying to get it out of the endzone. Guy happened to be there and pick it off, so it's a tough situation.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Transcripts 1/14/22

Shaky341January 18, 2022 12:48AM