Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Question, on Long's Pick 6....

January 17, 2022 11:36PM
Great question! So, I don't think they can assess whether you actually "see" your target (e.g. for all they know you could be throwing from memory or because you know what the routes call for)

If you suddenly throw the ball while under pressure, I think what they have to assess is whether the ball is thrown "in the area" of an eligible receiver, or if you have been outside the pocket on the play and the ball made it past the line of scrimmage*, or if contact between the thrower and the defense that began after the thrower had already started their throwing motion has altered the path of the ball.

(*Technically, if you're outside the pocket while throwing and are contacted by a defender - even if the contact was already initiated prior to you starting to throw - I think you might still be exempt from an intentional grounding call if that contact is regarded as the reason the throw didn't make it to the line of scrimmage)

For Kyler's situation, I think he was in the pocket and already contacted by a defender prior to beginning to throw, so I think his only way out at that point was to throw the ball in the vicinity of an eligible receiver. As you alluded to, I do think a lower trajectory would have been a better move, provided he could somehow still reasonably target a receiver.

That being said, I do think he was so close to hitting the ground that it would have been hard to fling the ball at the receiver on a low trajectory. (I'm sort of impressed he even got as near the receiver as he did, although it definitely came at a cost).

As an aside, football is awesome, haha. I am so fascinated by these high-stakes, split-second decisions that we get to see throughout a game (e.g. a safety deciding which deep route to cover, a qb trying to evade pressure, a cornerback trying to jump a route). These guys are awesome. Honestly, whether it even works out or not, it's just amazing seeing these folks try (and often accomplish) so much on the field.

Think Freely, Live Well, Be Kind

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2022 12:01AM by shepherd18.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Question, on Long's Pick 6....

JamesJM328January 17, 2022 10:38PM

shepherd18130January 17, 2022 11:36PM

Classicalwit86January 18, 2022 04:41AM