Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Transcripts 1-5-22

January 05, 2022 05:44PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford, OLB Von Miller - January 5, 2022

Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford, OLB Von Miller
Head Coach Sean McVay
(On what it would mean for WR Cooper Kupp to achieve the triple crown)
“It'd be pretty special. It's a great reflection of the team, but of his accomplishments within the team. He's been such a special player, not only this year, but really since we drafted him five years ago. (I) love (WR) Cooper Kupp. It’d be outstanding.”

(On what needs to happen on Sunday for them to beat San Francisco)
“We need to play better in that three-hour window. I need to coach better. We need to execute better. We need to take better care of the football - all the things that are indicative of playing good, clean football. They are a really well coached team. They've got great players, good schemes. So, we (got to) be on the screws, but we're excited about the challenge.”

(On how much pride and satisfaction he gets when he sees QB Matthew Stafford and Kupp beat a double or triple coverage)
“Yeah, it is great. In a lot of instances, it's also a good reflection of Cooper's versatility, and the ability to move him all over the formation, him knowing every single spot. But the best thing is that if some of the coverage contours or the looks dictate it, (Qcool smiley Matthew (Stafford) will get those other eligibles involved as well. So, they take a lot of pride in consistently producing and those two have done a great job with it, but it's also great to get those other guys involved as well.”

(On what has improved with the defense since the last time they played San Francisco)
“I thought in a lot of instances, the Niners are a really good offense. They do a great job of being able to control the pace of the game, being able to run the football, and then the actions and different things that come off of it. But, we've just (got to) play good sound football snap in and snap out. (We need to have) good execution. In a lot of instances too, it goes hand in hand with playing good team ball. We (got to) possess the ball. We (got to) be better on third downs. We can't turn it over. Those are all good team goals that in essence will help our defense be better as well.”

(On if RB Cam Akers practiced today and what is his availability for Sunday)
“Yeah, he did. Everybody else was at a jog through and (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) was at full speed, flying around. So, he's excited. He'll be ready to go and looking forward to seeing Cam make his debut this week.”

(On what a realistic workload is for Akers)
“I don't have that answer. I think we're working through that. He sure looks good. He looks like he could carry it and play a lot of plays, but I do think you (want to) be smart with an incremental approach. Is that 10 snaps? Is that 20? Is that 25? That's something that as the week progresses we'll have a better feel for, but definitely want to get him involved.”

(On what he learned after watching the tape of the first matchup against San Francisco)
“We kind of got behind early. They made some plays to kind of swing the momentum in their favor and then they did a good job of staying efficient and possessing the football. So, that's really what stood out. I can’t remember a time that I've seen a tipped screen (pass) go back the other way (for a TD), but they made the plays. They did a good job, but it was really just that initial early momentum. And then their ability to be able to possess the football and our inability to be able to execute on some of the third downs offensively.”

(On if any moment stands out from this season that is indicative of what Stafford brings)
“Yeah, the last drive the other day. That stands out. He's made play after play. There's a lot of highlights. There's a lot of really good things. But some of my favorite moments have been the resolve, the resilience that's been demonstrated, bouncing back from some occupational hazards that occur as a quarterback. But going 14 for 14 in the second half after it wasn't perfect in the first half, is a great demonstration and a reflection of the caliber player, the caliber person, the mental toughness and resolve that Matthew Stafford has.”

(On what his impressions were of DL Greg Gaines pre-draft)
“He was a really productive player at Washington. I thought, when you watched he and (S) Taylor Rapp they were really good defensively. They were always a fun team to be able to watch, but (DL) Greg (Gaines) just showed up snap in and snap out, really a complete personnel player. He's got a great personality too. He's a really productive player, but he's got a great way about himself. If you guys get a chance to get to know him a little bit more. He is really smart, he's really witty. He's just got one of those great demeanors that everybody loves Greg Gaines. What says as much as anything is when you guys ask (DL) Aaron Donald about Greg, the way that he speaks of him. Aaron isn't a guy that passes out praise easily. You earn his respect, and I know Greg has certainly done that. He's done a great job. I thought he battled back from that hand surgery and really made some big-time plays. I thought, arguably one of the plays of the game was on second down and two from the two, when he and Taylor Rapp ended up having that minus two (-yard) stop. There was under seven minutes left in that game. It was first and five. They get three yards on first down. Then, it goes to a second and two. He ends up beating the center, and then he and Rapp make a stop in the back field that got them to a third down and four. They take a delay. It goes to third of nine and that ultimately made them settle for a field goal, which is what gave us a chance to win that game. So, he's made play after play like that. Everybody loves Greg Gaines. He's earned their respect and then he's also a really likable guy.”

(On if agrees with Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris' characterization of Gaines as sarcastic)
“Yea, sarcastic, smartass, always challenging you. However, you really (want to) look at it. Greg probably punked (Defensive Coordinator) Raheem (Morris). That's why he said it, (laughs).”

(On where WR Odell Beckham Jr. is now in regard to his comfort with the Rams offense allows him to call the game differently than the first time they saw San Francisco)
“Yes. These are totally different circumstances. It never was an excuse before, but there was a lot of moving parts in a short amount of time. When we had signed him, that was on a Thursday. We had (been scheduled to) play on Monday night, but I don't even think he anticipated playing just because he still had some injuries and some things that he was working through. When Robert goes down, he was kind of forced into action. So, feels like that's been a long time since then, but we still (got to) go play a good game. But definitely can call the game that we (want to) play to be able to go execute at a high level.”

(On as he reincorporates Akers into the offense if it will be a feel thing in regard to balancing carries with RB Sony Michel)
“Yeah, I think it's a feel thing, because you definitely (want to) make sure you keep (Rcool smiley Sony (Michel) rolling. He's done a great job but being able to get (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) involved and get his feet wet is something that's important. And, he's a great player. We have a lot of confidence in Cam Akers. So, whether it's packages with both of them on the field or Cam kind of supplementing Sony if he needs a blow, that'll be a little bit of a feel thing. But I do think you (want to) be consistent in our approaches as far as, Cam's rep count - whatever we decide that is as the week progresses.”

(On any other injury updates)
“Yeah, we had a lot of guy guys that we just rested, kind of those veteran rest days. (Dcool smiley Nick Scott was limited with his thumb surgery. He's looking like there's a possibility that he plays, so that's a good thing. Everybody else was just kind of the veteran rest day approach.”

(On if WR Van Jefferson is healthy, in regard to his decreased snaps last game)
“No, he's feeling good. It was just kind of the flow of the game, but he's still a really important part. Nothing changed and you can expect to see a lot of (WR) Van (Jefferson) this week.”

(On what he liked about WR Ben Skowronek’s play last game)
“He did a great job. (He) did some really good things without the ball. I thought he made a key clutch-catch on the drive that ended up being the go-ahead TD. They were in a man coverage. He was kind of running a little stick nod route and (made a) big time catch. He did a good job without the ball, and you could see the game's not too big for (WR) Ben Skowronek. He's an added element, gives us some depth. Because we played in a lot of situations where we're playing with three receivers at a time, he ends up adding a fourth receiver that can really supplement all three spots as a way of kind of giving those three starters a blow.”

(On if there is any way Akers is not active on Sunday)
“Not unless there's a setback or a change in terms of how he's feeling. But he continues to progress and he is feeling good so I expect him to be able to play this week.”

(On what his memories and impressions are of the only other three WRs to ever win the triple crown - Steve Smith, Jerry Rice, and Sterling Sharpe)
“Incredible competitors, all three of those guys. To be mentioned in that same category is a true compliment. I know the respect that Cooper Kupp has for the history of this game and all three of those guys are so elite in their own right at playing that position. It's a testament to the production. When you start talking about catches, yards, touchdowns - it's unbelievable that he's mentioned in that same category. He has to go finish it out, but he has delivered in so many different ways for us and what he does without the ball is arguably as impressive. Those people that really love studying the tape, watching the intricacies of what he does snap in and snap out, it's pretty remarkable. You just feel fortunate to be able to work with a player like him, but all three of those guys that you just mentioned - what a special group that is. Amazing accomplishments that those men achieved. For Cooper to be mentioned in that same category and potentially be able to have his name alongside of those guys with the triple crown is a huge testament to the hard work he's put in. Then also, being surrounded by great teammates.”
QB Matthew Stafford
(On what would it mean for him as a quarterback if WR Cooper Kupp clutches the triple crown on Sunday)
“It'd awesome. It'd be cool to be a part of it. Obviously, (I’ve) never played with a player that's been able to do that, to accomplish that feat. It's pretty special, so we'll see. The biggest thing on our mind right now is going to play a really good San Fran team, trying to get a win. Winning at home, continue to find ways to win football games late in the season. But that's not something you get the chance to do every day or every season really. So (I’m) just happy for him and his success and sharing a little small part in that is pretty cool.”

(On if there’s anything that he has learned about Kupp since joining the Rams that has surprised him or that has stood out)
“A bunch of it stands out. I didn't know much about him other than what I had seen on tape. But just his ability to understand the game of football, go out there and execute and play at a high level - his consistency as a teammate and as a worker is all time. So, (I) just appreciate the opportunity to get to play with him. I think everybody in the building probably feels the same way and he does a great job of making all of us better.”

(On what he diagnosed from the first matchup against the 49ers that they could do differently or better this time)
“Yeah, definitely. We put ourselves behind early. Obviously, the first drive of the game, threw one that I probably should’ve just run or thrown away. And they did a nice job of controlling the ball after that, scoring a touchdown. And not too long after that, we had the unfortunate interception for a touchdown that was a play that felt safe about just happened. It's plays in football that happen, but I think just (we’ve) got to do a better chance of giving ourselves a chance and not shooting ourselves in the foot. That's something that has come up the last couple weeks on the offensive side of the ball. So, we got to make sure that we do a good job of making sure that we end every drive of the kick - whether that's a punt or a field goal or an extra point. We do that, we're going to give ourselves a much better chance.”

(On what it feels like playing 17 games in the NFC West and playing such competitive games down the stretch)
“t's fun. It's competitive. There were a lot of good years I feel like when I was playing in the NFC North, we had some great teams going back and forth that it felt a little bit like that. Obviously - different teams, different players - but it was a lot of fun going through it and still got a little bit more to go.”

(On how confident he is in the guys on defense)
“Very confident. Obviously, they've been doing it at a high level for a couple years now and this year is no different. They're getting after the quarterback, turning the ball over, stopping the run, doing all those things you want to do as a good defense. So, (I’m) just happy that I get to play with those guys and it's a great competition for us every day in practice to go against them.”

(On how he sums up the ups and downs of this season with the Rams)
“It's like a football season. They're all not perfect. (We) got to find ways to battle through them - whether it's losing a guy like (WR) Robert Woods or some of the guys we've lost on defense or bringing in an (WR) Odell Beckham (Jr.) or bringing in a (OLcool smiley Von Miller or having games where you struggle and don't score and don't win and being able to battle back from those. So just feels like a normal NFL season - obviously a successful one sitting at 12 and four after 16 feels good. But, there's a bunch of work left to do. And, starting with this week, against a good 49ers team.”

(On if the obstacles are what he relishes about a successful season)
“Yeah, I think so. Not many teams (are) at smooth sailing all the way through. And finding a way to get through some of those tough times, some of that adversity with guys in our locker room is what makes this game special, what makes football the greatest team sport there is. At some point or another, we're going to rely on everybody. We've had to do that this year and those guys have stepped up and helped us win football games. So, it's finding a way to get it done every single week, no matter who's available to play - whether it was COVID, whether it was injuries, whether it's hey, this guy just came in on a Thursday, he's going to try to play on a Sunday - whatever it is, we found ways to get it done 12 times and got a chance to do it for 13.”

(On what was the most unique thing to him about his first season with the Rams)
“I don't know. All of it's unique. I think doing a better job in overcoming it than I am in the past. I think 11 wins is the most I've ever had as a quarterback and (to) be able to get to 12-4 through 16, which is a traditional season, that feels good. But I don't know, there's plenty of work left to do. We're proud of where we're sitting right now, but we know there's a bigger goal in mind.”

(On the possibility of winning a division championship if the Rams win on Sunday and if he has ever been this close to winning one)
“Yeah, I've been close. I had chances to win it and didn't - whether it's all the way up to the last week of the season or not. But it would be accomplishing one of the goals that you set out at the beginning of every season. You want to give yourself a chance to make the playoffs. We've accomplished that goal. You want a chance to win the division. We've got that chance in front of us and get to do it kind of on our terms. We win the game, we win the division and that's one of those things that's a rare opportunity to get. And when you get that chance, you want to go out there and accomplish it. So it would be great. And then we know there's a bunch of football after that, hopefully, and hopefully we play at a high level.”

(On what would make matching up against 49ers CB Dontae Johnson, CB K’Waun Williams and DB Jimmie Ward difficult if they’re able to play)
“Well, I think I'm expecting all those guys to play. We expect them to be about as healthy as they can be coming into this game. But I think they do a great job of having a great marriage of rush and coverage. Their guys up front do a great job, so they can play aggressive on the back end. They do a great job keeping everything in front of them. They're sticky, aggressive. They understand concepts and do a great job in just triggering, turning the football over, getting their hands on football. So, it's a big challenge for us.”

(On what it feels like breaking records with Kupp nearly a decade after breaking the single-season receiving record with Hall of Fame WR Calvin Johnson)
“It's cool. It's a cool thing to be a part of. To me, it just makes me feel lucky that I got to play with two great players in different areas. But what (former Lions WR) Calvin (Johnson) did was really special and what Cooper's been able to do is really special. So, both of those guys would tell you they want to win all the games they’re playing and if they can have more receiving yards, it usually probably helps us win a game. There's no question about that. But both those guys are similar in their unselfishness and their desire for the team to do well. So, I'm happy that we're winning football games as well as Cooper playing as good as he is.”

(On how impressive Kupp’s route running ability is and how natural his feel is with him as a quarterback)
“It's really impressive. I think he does a great job, obviously getting open and catching the football, doing all those things. I think he's probably one of the more underrated guys in the league after the catch too. He doesn't have a lot of 80-yarders on tape where he is running away from everybody, but the first guy's rarely ever bringing him down. He's doing a great job with making people miss and get yards for our offense, which is huge.”

(On what is the comfort level of how WR Odell Beckham Jr. and RB Sony Michel are functioning in this offense)
“Those guys are more integrated into what we're doing. Odell - I think that was his first game here. He showed up on the Thursday and was able to play in the game on Sunday, which was really impressive and it’s (inaudible) to his ability to get ready to be a professional. But those guys feel a whole lot more comfortable going into this game as do I with them. And I think as seasons go on, teams evolve and change - both personnel and schematics. So, it'll be a different game than when we played them the first time. But, it'll still be a huge challenge for us.”

OLB Von Miller
(Opening Statement)
“Howdy guys, this is my favorite part of the week. We got a good San Francisco team coming up. I’ll start this off first, (we) got a really good San Francisco team. They've been winning lately. They've had our number. They’ve won the last five games. But I've only been a part of one of those games, so it doesn't really hit me that hard. I'm excited to play these guys. They got a bunch of tough individuals, led with (49ers T) Trent Williams, (49ers TE) George Kittle, ‘Juice’ (49ers FB Kyle Juszcyk) – number 44 – all those guys are tough. It's going to have to be a hard-fought game for us to be able to clinch the division.”

(On how much he thinks the Rams defense has evolved and grown since the first time he played the 49ers as a Ram)
“Honestly, like I know I say this every single week, but we have been so even keeled and so consistent with things that we do, how we prepare. When I was with the Denver Broncos, when we lose, it's time to double down on something. It's time to go harder, it's time to do something differently, it's time to watch more film, practice a little bit harder, lift a little bit harder. And these guys, they just got a formula. We come in, we do our stuff, we go home. And we trust our guys. We trust the stars on the team. We trust the foundational players. We trust the coaches. And honestly, we just come in and we do the exact same thing. When we we’re losing, we were doing the exact same thing. And when we're winning, we have the same exact mindset that we've had these eight weeks that I've been here. So it's been very consistent whether we win or lose.”

(On if he expects the same game plan from the 49ers)
“Yeah. It’s a copycat league. I think their first drive when we played them last time, they had 18 plays in the first drive. And if I was a coach, I would want to repeat that. We got – I'm just looking at it from the outside-in – all these guys. We got (Dcool smiley Jalen Ramsey, (DL) Aaron Donald, (OLcool smiley Leonard Floyd, (DL) Greg Gaines. You want to run the ball versus that look, especially if you got one of the best running offenses in the league. You want to run the ball first and kind of stem everything off of that. So I would just kind of expect they would start the game off running.”

(On if every ultimate competitor dreams of the opportunity to win the game and win the division)
“Yes, ma'am. That is exactly it. You want to go out there and win them all. The stakes that they have on it now, you want to go out there, you want to win it. You want to head into the playoffs on a really high horse for sure.”

(On how difficult he sees the 49ers offense)
“I think whether it's (49ers Qcool smiley Trey Lance or whether it's (49ers Qcool smiley Jimmy Garoppolo, they can win with either one of those guys. They're built to win with either one of those guys. They’re built to win in tight games. (I) think if you watched the last game they played versus the Houston Texans, it was a tight game. And that was Trey Lance. Trey Lance pulled them through. So either way it goes, even if Jimmy G plays, I would expect to see some Trey Lance. He’s just that versatile, that athletic. He is the future. So, I expect to see both of those guys and either way it goes, I expect him to come in here and compete. They both throw the ball pretty well. They both have a similar game. Trey’s obviously more athletic, but Jimmy G can get it done in a variety of ways as well. So either quarterback they pick, we're going to have our hands full.”

(On if he thinks everyone is communicating much better now on the pass rush)
“No, not really. I know it sounds crazy, but we really haven't changed much. And that's a good thing because when I came here, I just believed in the situation. I believe (in) having Aaron Donald, Leonard Floyd, Greg Gaines. I just believe that no matter what we do, we’ll be able to rush the passer, we'll be able to get sacks. I would say we've been jelling, but we’ve had the same mindset since I've been here. It just feels good to go out there and do your job. It feels good to go out there and rush the quarterback well. It feels good to make plays for your teammates and your coaches and stuff. Early on when we played the 49ers the first time, that was my first game (as a Ram) and we had a lot of good rushes in that game as well. We didn't get any sacks, but we had a lot of great rushes and we were close in that game as well. So like I said, we really haven't changed anything and it feels good to be confident in a group of guys that you have and confident in what you're doing.”

(On what excites him the most about the possibility to win the division at home on Sunday)
“I mean to clinch the division at home with the opportunity. This is a tough 49ers (team). We've lost the last five (games against the 49ers), so it is a tough game. We're at home and it'd be exciting just to think about it. Just think about the possibilities either way it goes, you don't want to go out there and lose. You want to go out there and win. So either way we think about it, it's motivating to have this opportunity to go out and play and win. I think whenever you start the season off – I wasn't here when the Rams started, but with the Denver Broncos and I'm sure with the majority of teams around the league – the very first thing that you set out to do is win a division. And we are one game away from it. Everybody's motivated to go out there and do it.”

(On if there are different things that he and the defense can do to continue to counter the 49ers offense or is it just about continuing to rush)
“You got to continue to rush, you can't let the quick-strike offense or the quick-decision offense kind of take you off your rush because when they drop back and they hold it for six or seven seconds, you're not in the right mindset to rush if you're thinking about batting a paw down. So, I think it's rush, rush, rush, but it's just to really take advantage of pass rush, you need like a lead or you need position on the other team. You want the game to be even, you want it to be a tie game or you want to be up slightly by three points. Or you want the offense pushing and trying to find answers. You want them to be pushing down the field and you want the quarterback to go through all of these reads and whenever a team is down, they're usually in those positions. So, we just got to play an even game. We got to score points and if we can get some positioning on this team, I like where we at. If we can get them in third-and-eight, third-and-long, any situation like that, I like our chances. Let’s be honest, they run the ball extremely well. You don't want to play the 49ers when it's third-and-three or you don't want third-and-three or third-and-two all game. So, we got to keep them out of those down and distances and we got to create some long second downs and some long third downs to really take advantage of our pass rush and the type of defense that we have. We got Jalen Ramsey, ‘D. Will’ (DB Darious Williams) and (S) Jordan Fuller, all of these guys on the back end. We got all these guys on the front end too. So we got to get them in a situation where they have the best ball.”

(On what personality traits start to emerge in a team that has it this time, even through adversity and through a tumultuous season)
“It’s just the feel. It's just the energy about it. I think we're starting to develop that. If you look at the last two games that we played, to overcome the odds that were presented in those games, like that's the type of confidence that you need in the playoffs. I remember (the Denver Broncos) playing the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2015 in the playoffs and all they had to do was just run down and kick the field goal. And (former Broncos Ccool smiley Bradley Roby just happened to create a fumble and we were able to get the ball and we drove down and we scored and the game was over with. But we were that close to being put out by the playoffs. The whole Super Bowl 50 and all that stuff would've been out the window. So it's those type of situations. It's that type of mental toughness that you have to have from all 33 guys that's going be on the field and outside of that as well. It's just a confidence that no matter what, no matter what odds are presented in this game, we're going to be able to win. And that's where I see us most similar to the 2015 Denver Broncos.”

(On if it’s still part of what he does in not allowing a free release or an easy release tight end to get off the line of scrimmage)
“With other TEs yeah-huh. Because (laughter) they’re just not as good, but you got George Kittle and (Chiefs TE) Travis Kelce. I’m familiar with Travis Kelce as well. (They’re) the two of the best tight ends in the league. One day one might be one. One day the other one might be one. It just depends on who the plan and what week it is and what defense they’re playing. But, you got to chip those guys. You got to do as much as possible to kind of throw those guys off and still that isn’t enough sometimes. They're both very talented. They're both very skilled. I have a lot of respect for both of those guys. It didn't start that way, but I (laughter) have a lot of respect for both of those guys and the type of players that they are. They’re two tough opponents, two all-pro tight ends. You got to really show those guys a lot of attention so they won’t wreck the game. I remember in 2019, George Kittle went for 280 yards on (the Denver Broncos) – it 250 or 280. And he did that in the first half. So, I'm very familiar with George Kittle. I'm very familiar with Travis Kelce. You got to get those guys a lot of attention to be able to win the game because they are wrecking for you. They are wrecking for you in a heartbeat.”

(On what he sees with 49ers WR Deebo Samuel, if it’s tougher to read his keys, whether it’s a run or a pass, or is he used to some of that type of movement that Samuel presents)
“For me, it is just tight end, running back, quarterback, offensive line. I don't really pay attention to the wide receivers, but (49ers WR) Deebo Samuel is so versatile. He does everything extremely well. (He’s) built like a running back, but he plays receiver. He plays receiver, but he has a running back’s mentality. He can block, he can break tackles. He's big, he's strong, he's fast. I'm a hundred percent positive that that presents all type of problems and distractions for DBs linebackers and even myself. He's an amazing player. They got a lot of amazing players over there and we’re going to have to be on our Ps and Qs and we got to play one of our best games to come out with the win to end this, what is it, six games? This would be the sixth game in this five-game losing streak that we have (against the 49ers).”

(On how much he knew about DL Greg Gaines before he got to L.A., what were his first impressions and what has Gaines shown him)
“I didn't know anything about (DL) Greg Gaines. I wasn't familiar with his game. I wasn't familiar with the type of guy he is. Just to be honest, I had never heard of Greg Gaines, but that changed the very first game that I saw him play – like not that actual game, but when you turn on the film. Greg Gaines is a red dot type of player. When you watch a film you have like the little laser pointer. They’re going to have the laser pointer on Greg Gaines whether he's making the tackle or whatever. He is such a great football player and I've been blown away with the type of talent that he has. When you talk to him, you see him, he kind of looks like a substitute teacher. But when he puts on pads and he's playing football, he's a whole totally different player. And Greg Gaines can play. He can play some really, really good football with the best of them. It’s an honor and a privilege to play with all of these guys, man. It’s been a pleasant surprise to get to know Greg Gaines and see the type of football that he plays. He's a tough guy, too. He's playing with broken hand. He's still out there. Sometimes guys get hurt and they kind of dread playing in the game. Greg, he was excited to play in this last game with a broken hand. And I've just been blown away with the type of guy he is, the type of character that he has and the type of football that he plays. It’s been a privilege.”

(On how a guy like Gaines starts out under the radar)
“I just think scouts, they don't get it right all the time. Scouts, GMs and owners, they don't get it right all the time. I think guys prove that every single year. Guys just fly to the radar or you get so caught up in an Aaron Donald or a (DL) Sebastian Joseph-Day or you get caught up in all of these big name guys that a Greg Gaines just kind of slips on the team, slips on a roster. One guy gets hurt, now he's starting and you're still not kind of looking for him, but you just keep seeing his 91 jersey fly around. My dad always told me when I was young, ‘You can't hide talent.’ And that is definitely true with Greg Gaines. He's a phenomenal player.”

(On if at this point of the season is he more reliant on his experience to rush the passer or is he trusting the scheme that he’s playing in right now)
“A little bit of both. I've always felt like no matter what team, no matter what scheme – I think I had four defensive coordinators with the Denver Broncos – I've always felt like, no matter what they want me to play, I'm a coach’s dream. If you want me to play cornerback, I'll go out there and play it for you. Whatever you want me to do, I'll do it. Coach me up. Coach me to the best of your ability and I go out there and I play to the best of my ability. I think at this point, I think it's just a little bit of both. We got a great scheme here that allows to rush. It’s led by Aaron Donald, which is good for me. I can just go out there and do my thing. And I trust my pass-rush ability. I'm confident in the type of football that I can still play. And I'm confident in this team. I'm confident in the scheme that we play here. So, it's a little bit of both and I'm excited. This is why they brought me here, for the playoffs, not necessarily the regular season. I want to make plays in the regular season. I want to do all of this stuff, but to come and have a similar playoff run that I had in 2015, that's why they have me here. And I want to go out there and do my job. It feels great to go out there and do your job for your teammates. I want to continue to do that.”

(On if his time in L.A. has seemed like it’s flown by or does it feel like he’s been here the whole time)
“Yeah, it does seem like it's been flying by extremely quick, especially in the extended season. It really does fly by really quick. It doesn't feel like I've been here that long, but when you look at it on paper, I played a lot of games with the Rams. I played a lot of games with Denver Broncos before that. This whole season is just flying by. I’m just fortunate and blessed to be a part of such an amazing franchise. And like I said before when I got traded, the Broncos did right by me by sending me to a winning team. To do the things that they had to do and to really eat some of the salary cap and eat some of my paycheck so I could go here and not just go to a team that would be done after this week, they love me over there and I appreciate them sending me to a great place like this to finish out my career (or) whatever the future holds. It's been an honor and a privilege being here. It's been an honor and a privilege getting to know all of these coaches and playing with Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey and (Qcool smiley Matthew Stafford. And it's really been like the Pro Bowl each and every week. The Pro Bowl, you only get one week with those guys. I've been here for eight weeks and it's been a blessing and an honor and a privilege to be a part of this.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Transcripts 1-5-22

Shaky355January 05, 2022 05:44PM

Love how Miller gushes about Gaines

NJRam71596January 06, 2022 07:26AM

Agree, also how he gushes about the team . .

stlramz78January 06, 2022 07:45AM