Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stafford is Brett Favre. My advice for squeamish fans: choose another team

January 03, 2022 03:19AM
People forget that the white knuckle ride we get with Stafford at times resembles a first ballot HOF guy named Brett Favre. 508 TDs, 336 INTs. Only Stafford's TD to INT ratio is far superior to Favre's.

The thing Brett did was to win games.... somehow, some way.... often after it was he who caused the crisis in the first place. But that style of play was who he was. And he had no conscience. He so believed in himself and in his arm (and in his teammates) that he just kept fearlessly chucking the ball. Even if his coaches didn't always love him for it, his fans did.

Favre was fortunate to have been mostly on good teams so he could win championships. This is the first good team Stafford has been on in his career.

One other thing: McVay is really really smart NEVER to lay the blame for Stafford's miscues on Stafford. Gunslingers are finicky folk. They are well aware of their short comings, but the nature of a gunslinger doesn't allow for thinking too deeply about it. Otherwise they'd lose their twitch.

You live and die with a gunslinger the same way you live and die with a home run hitter. If the coach or organization can't stomach that roller coaster, then they need to get a different player for the position. If a fan can't, it's time to take your loyalty to another team. This is Stafford. This is the Rams. And it's going to be for probably another half decade.

Jourdan put it this way:
I can also appreciate that there’s a little more nuance to the conversation than allowed on social media: McVay believed so thoroughly that the previous situation was untenable that he welcomed the risk, welcomed the chaos Stafford demonstrates through some of these games if it meant that package also came with the arm’s other personality, the clear multiplicity they could build into their offense with it, and Stafford’s calmness in crisis, even if self-inflicted. There was not another realistic upper-echelon quarterback for whom to trade, and McVay both genuinely wanted to work with Stafford, and he was not sticking with his former one.

Snead, McVay, and Stafford are all of the same mentality. Swing for the fences. Take risks. Always go for the Gold. Participation trophies are for losers.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Stafford is Brett Favre. My advice for squeamish fans: choose another team

RockRam330January 03, 2022 03:19AM

Favre DID throw TONS N TONS of WTF passes!

Ramgator197January 03, 2022 03:22AM

Re: Favre DID throw TONS N TONS of WTF passes!

stlramz92January 03, 2022 08:20AM

Re: Stafford is Brett Favre. My advice for squeamish fans: choose another team

moklerman176January 03, 2022 08:13AM

I think the point is that Stafford is what he is. Forget changing.

RockRam148January 03, 2022 09:04AM

Re: I think the point is that Stafford is what he is. Forget changing.

moklerman88January 03, 2022 09:28AM

Re: Stafford is Brett Favre. My advice for squeamish fans: choose another team

oldschoolramfan80January 03, 2022 09:41AM