Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, WR Odell Beckham Jr. - December 31, 2021

December 31, 2021 01:02PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, WR Odell Beckham Jr. - December 31, 2021
Head Coach Sean McVay, WR Odell Beckham Jr.
Head Coach Sean McVay
(On if there is any specific plan in place with the quarterback room, specifically QB Matthew Stafford, in ensuring that he stays off the Reserve/COVID-19 list)
“Well, number one, we've really limited any of these kind of in-person meetings with the exception of going outdoors and staying socially distanced. It's kind of what we've done. We've had a lot of virtual (meetings), so we are taking really preventative maintenance – not exclusively for the quarterbacks, but really for all of our positions as much as possible. The exception of really the only last two weeks that we've needed it. Usually the weather is a little bit more tolerable to be able to have those out outdoor meetings and things like that, but we have done that with our team over the last couple of weeks. And we were one of the first teams to really get hit and hard by it, so we had to learn the hard way and then they all changed the protocols to help everyone else (laughter).”

(On any update on RB Cam Akers and if he’s going to play on Sunday)
“I would say it's more likely that he won't. We're going to continue to be smart with him. (We) haven't made that final determination, but I think next week looks like a more realistic kind of goal like we've always had along.”

(On if there’s a chance that DL Sebastian Joseph-Day is activated off the Injured Reserve list before playoffs)
“I wouldn't rule it out. That is something that I know he is done a great job. I have not really specifically talked about the exact timetable. There's been a lot of moving parts – more so than ever before. (I) certainly wouldn't be ready to rule that out of the equation, but I'll probably be able to have a better answer for you after this week.”

(On WR Odell Beckham Jr.’s comments about enjoying WR Cooper Kupp’s pursuit of record breaking more so than Kupp and his reputation of being a “me” guy)
“I would say this, I always make my opinions on people based on my own individual interactions with them. You see things from afar, different things like that, this guy's been nothing but a joy to be around from the very first time. I've had a little bit of interaction with him over the last couple years when I've run into him, whether it's through NFL events or even seeing him when he spends some of his off-season time in L.A. And this guy is a great guy. He's got great charisma, a great presence. He's an incredibly talented football player. And then, I can attest to this now, he's a great teammate. He really cares about these guys. He's been incredibly selfless. He's made plays when he’s had the opportunity. He's come in and he's really been intentional about learning as much as possible in a short amount of time with (Wide Receivers Coach) Eric Yarber and with (Offensive Assistant) Chris O'Hara. He's taken to his teammates. He's one of those guys when you're around him, you can't help but like him. He’s got a great presence, a great charisma – like I mentioned – and he's been a great teammate and I've really enjoyed working with (WR) Odell (Beckham Jr.) for the last month and a half or however long it's been.”

(On the possibility of clinching the NFC West, if it’s amazing to think that three weeks ago the Rams were two games out of first place up against the tiebreakers and where the team is at now)
“I would say this, it goes back to why you just stay in the moment and you just take care of what you can control. Things have worked out in our favor, but the reason that things have worked out in our favor is because our guys have handled the business that they're responsible for and that's playing well in the month of December. (They’re) doing a great job getting the results that we're always striving to accomplish, as our week of preparation goes. This league has been definitely a crazy one, but we're not there yet. We haven't done it yet. There's a lot of things that still have to take place. And we've got a great challenge against an excellent football team this week where our focus in concentration lies.”

(On the possibility of the Rams clinching the division when the team is traveling back from Baltimore)
“I would imagine unless they accelerate how quick we load things up, we won't be taking off yet. That thing takes a minute for us to get going, so we'll probably be still sitting there having a cold one if we're able to get the result that we want. If for whatever reason that game is far on and there's things close, I think we'll delay taking off. Unless, maybe, they figured out how to get the Wi-Fi on the plane so we can watch the game (laughter).”

(On if he would really delay the flight back to watch the game)
“Yeah! Oh yeah. Absolutely.”

(On what the celebration would be)
“Let’s put it this way, got a long way to go before that. That would be a good thing, but the only way that's even a real conversation is if we handle our business against a great football team in Baltimore.”

(On as the play caller, will he call the game in terms of helping players get records)
“No. I'll call the game in a manner that's reflective of trying to win the football game and do what's best for our offense. It just so happens that a lot of those things are in alignment with (WR) Cooper Kupp getting the ball. You always want to try to be helpful in facilitating those things. It’s probably one of the most sensitive subjects in terms of how you navigate and negotiate through that. We've talked about this even going back to my first year, where we decided to rest (former Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley III) when he had a chance for the rushing title. And so, I don't have the perfect answer for that. I know that Cooper is the most selfless teammate, one of the most selfless players I've ever been around. (I) would love for him to be able to do that, but I can promise you what Cooper Kupp cares about is playing a good game to try to win against the Baltimore Ravens. And if that so happens that he gets the touches that end up breaking records, then that's really cool and awesome for him. And so, the goal is number one, let's try to go win this game as a team, do a great job offensively with what he can do and how he can contribute. But it will not alter and affect the way that you call it, even though those are really cool things that I don't want to minimize what a big deal that is for Cooper to be able to accomplish that. I don't know if that makes sense, but (it’s a) very layered thing.”

(On what guys will practice today and any game statuses)
“The only guys that we’ll list as questionable right now would be (S) Taylor Rapp and (DL) Greg Gaines. But both those guys will be (available Sunday). Greg in a limited capacity, but don't expect anything to prevent him from being ready to go, just getting comfortable with that hand. Taylor will be full today. And then we're going to hold (DL) Aaron (Donald) out of practice just to give him a rest day, but you know Aaron's going to be ready to go.”

(On if DL Greg Gaines will have a club on his hand)
“I don't know that it's a club. The thing that he's been wearing the last couple days hasn't restricted. It's just, he's got a little bit of swelling in his knuckles and so shouldn't be too restrictive. He’ll find a way to make it work (laughter).”

(On the journey the special teams unit has had this year, what he’s learned about that process and how would he assess its entire curve up to this point)
“Number one, I think it's been a really cool example of just consistent approach day in and day out. And now you can start to feel some of the philosophical approaches that (Special Team Coordinator) Joe D (DeCamillis) and (Assistant Special Teams) Coach (Dwayne) Stukes want to take, what we want the film to look like, the way that we're pursuing, the way that we play with upper body violence, population to the football, all those things. Now it's starting to show up on the film. So, I think the guys are really taking to an understanding of what we're trying to get done, specifically in our coverage phases. I think (Practice Squad WR) Brandon Powell has been a tremendous shot of life in our return game. I think as a result of that belief, those expectations and what he's capable of doing, the other 10 guys are playing better, they're blocking better. It just looks like a better overall operation. And that takes all 11 on the field. It's a great job by Coach DeCamillis and Coach Stukes. And then I've been so pleased with our field goal operation. (K) Matt Gay, and deservingly so, being a Pro Bowl representative for the NFC, the consistency that he's kicked with. But I also think you can't minimize the entirety of the operation with (LS Matthew) Orzech, (P) Johnny (Hekker) as a consistent, amazing holder. And then the protection. You talk about a selfless down, go watch the way that these guys in field goal (protection) just sit there for some of these field goal rush ops that these other teams get. And it's a real appreciation for the team element, but I've been very pleased with the progression. And I thought last week was one of our best performances. And now let's see if we can build on that against a really tough outfit in the Ravens.”

(On the return man bringing electricity to the special teams unit)
“I think so. I think there's an element of, whether you realize it or not, there's always this kind of opinion that you develop when you're doing anything that you do. And I think if there's a real belief and an expectation that we can have success on this upcoming down because of the confidence you have in the person that's going to have the ball in their hands. Something comes with that. And I think it's very much equivalent to what you're saying as far as alignment and the way that they feel. I think there's no doubt about it.”

(On what happened in November that has allowed the Rams to get to this point now where the team is on the verge of clinching)
“I think sometimes that adversity can make you stronger if it's handled the right way and you have the right leaders in place. And that's certainly what we have with our players and our coaching staff. In its simplest form, I think the root of it was, we started playing better as a team. We started playing better complimentary football. Obviously we were taking better care of the football offensively. Defense was getting takeaways. Special teams just progressively got better and better. And then last week, I thought it was a great representation of guys picking each other up even in spite of some of the adversity. We had those turnovers (and) we were able to overcome it. But, I think guys have just gotten better. They've maintained a resilience and a mental toughness that helped us push through a tough month of the November and obviously get the results that we were desiring in the month of December. (It) hasn't been perfect by any stretch, even if the record was. There's a lot of things that we've got to be able to improve upon. And this week represents another chance to do that.”

(On what he’s seen from WR Cooper Kupp in his approach and how he’s handled breaking records this season)
“The best thing I could say is that I've seen the exact same guy I saw from the moment he stepped in here in Rookie Mini Camp four-and-a-half years ago. He's just so intentional about his everyday approach, his rhythm and routine. He loves football, he loves his teammates. He really wants to be coached hard. Nobody's harder on himself than he is of himself. And it's just been a great thing to be able to see the accumulation and that hard work paying off where he's doing a great job and he's been an instrumental part of a lot of the good things that have gone on for the Rams this year.”

(On as the play caller, is there any sense of pride that he can take in Kupp’s record breaking)
“I think (it’s an) appreciation is more than anything. The way that I would look at it is appreciative to be able to work with players like Cooper Kupp, like the (Qcool smiley Matthew Staffords of the world, like Aaron, (DB Jalen) Ramsey. There's so many special players and these guys make it come to life. I've heard (Patriots Head) Coach (Bill) Belichick say it before, ‘Coaches lose games, players win them.’ You just want to make sure you try to put these guys in the good spot as you possibly can.”

WR Odell Beckham Jr.
(On what has stood out to him about WR Cooper Kupp and how he has helped with his transition)
“You pretty much hit it all on the head. The work ethic, just the way he goes about it, the attention to detail-- all of those things add up and you see the results from what he's having. Along with being an actual phenomenal talent and football player and athlete and all those things, it’s the attention to detail for me. Just the very small things that happen in the game - which we say it's a game of inches - he's just right on top of them. So, I keep reminding him, I think it's 266. I need him to get to that 2K. So, just keep stacking the days, and I think the results will find themselves.”

(On what it’s like being in the end zone so frequently)
“It's been great. Over the last couple years, I felt deprived (laughs). I've definitely missed the end zone, for sure. It just hasn't been as easy and seamless as it could and should be. I'm someone who I feel like I should score once or twice every single game. I feel like I could get a hundred yards every single game. If you think about it, it's 25 yards in each quarter. So, I'm just happy that I'm at a place where I'm having fun like within myself just having fun, playing football again, and the rest is going to take care of itself.”

(On if he has picked up any “Hollywood” vibes since being here)
“I've been here for a bunch of off seasons and everything already, so I kind of know what the vibe’s like out here. Completely opposite of New York, but like I said, I've been out here for a while, so I'm kind of accustomed to LA and what it has to offer and just how it is.”

(On if he has had any celebrity friends come to the games to support him)
“Yeah, I think (rapper) Drake is coming to the playoff game. (Music artist and fashion designer) Kanye (West) was supposed to come to one of the games. NBA legend and Lakers forward) LeBron's (James) there. It's just pretty cool when you have all those things, but once you get out there, you don't exactly know who's there, but just always want to be the very best that I could be. (I) find ways, right now, to just lock in. (I) got a great opportunity. Like I said, find ways to lock in and win games.”

(On what it means to have the chance to play for division title)
“This is the first time in my career I think I've been in that position. So, it is definitely cool and it's something special to be a part of. I came late to the party, but still was celebrated like I've been here for the whole time. So, it's definitely a special opportunity - not just to win the division, but to go for it all. This is the only reason that you put in these hours of work in the offseason and sacrifice and dedicate our lives to this is for these moments.”

(On if the season is still amazing considering all of the ups and downs)
“Absolutely, it is. And it’s funny how you start the season off and you might lose your first two games, and then you go on these runs and then you come back in the middle of (the) season, you lose some more and it's like, each and every game is actually important because when it comes down to the wire, that one game that you didn't really care about at week four or week five, eight, whatever it is, comes back to be in play. And I think we've just done a phenomenal job when getting on a, I think it was two-game, three-game losing streak, and then finding a way to rally something off and put ourselves in a position we’re in now it's just-- coach talked about playing our best ball in December and in January and hopefully February as well. So, just finding ways to win each game is important. And it's always funny to see it come down to the wire at the end.”

(On if celebrating in an airplane is something he’s ever done)
“Never. Yeah, but not for football, but I've been celebrating up in the air before (laughs). It would be phenomenal. And just to be here, like I said, I came late to the party. But I know how much it means, and I feel a part of it, and like I say, I’m celebrating like I've been here the whole time. So, looking forward to it, and just finding a way to clinch.”

(On what the celebrations would be like in the air)
“I think it’ll be a moment that we all remember.”
(On how he’s processing being very productive but also under the radar at the same time)
“Man, I find it funny. All the talks and everything that's ever been said about me - ‘me guy’ and all this - and it's like people are going to say whatever, but just have no idea. And when I chose to come here, I'm knowing that (WR) Coop’s (Cooper Kupp) on pace to break a record. I didn't come here thinking, ‘Oh, I got to get my targets.’ Like that's just not being me. Yeah, I want the ball. I'm a competitor, but like I say, I came late to the party. I'm here witnessing history and greatness between this whole team, but specifically (QB Matthew) Stafford and Coop and it's just phenomenal to watch. I knew that I wasn't going to be the one--I'm not, like I said, like I tell you, I'm not getting 10 to 15 targets each and every game, and so for me, it's about--I just was having this conversation--finding ways to be locked in knowing that you're not specifically the guy, but I am going to be a threat and the option each and every play. And finding a way to stay within the game, play the game within the game and just win each and every route and run the route as if the ball is coming because you never know what's going to happen. It's just funny all of the backlash that I get about the type of person I am and this and that. I think you just see me in an atmosphere where success is around. And like I say, these people are on pace for history. I want to watch them break it. You know, I told him, I want him to get 2K yards so I can come and break your record. That's how it happens. Records are meant to be broken, and like I say, I think we're just witnessing something very, very special. I'm happy to be here firsthand.”

(On if there is a play made my Kupp that sticks out in his mind)
“You’re asking me to recall a memory? It would be very, very tough. I came in late, like I said, but it's just the small things. I think, who was it that we scored against in Seattle? Just an easy pass in the endzone, completion, or I don't remember exactly what it was, but they talked about this in practice. Right when he buzzes off and like that's how it's always been for me and how it's supposed to be, those details that come up in practice, they usually carry over to the game. So, he's had so many catches and plays and moments, it's all of them. And the reason that all of them are happening is because of that attention detail. So, I'm campaigning for the 2K. I told him that they're going to get rid of - rest in peace to (NFL legend) John Madden - I said they were going to get rid of Madden and then they're going to bring back NFL 2K because of Coop. So, we're witnessing greatness. (I’m) just hoping that it continues to set the tone for us all, lead us, and find ways to win games.”

(On if he is still counting down Kupp’s yard until he breaks the record)
“Yeah. I mean, I'm sure it might be more fun for me than him. He's counting, but it's way in the back of his head. You know what I mean? You know you're on the brink and I know that it's something that he wants to achieve, and I'll be that subtle reminder - the one in his corner, like, ‘Hey, 266, let's go.’ And like I say, we're witnessing greatness. So, (I’m) looking forward to it, continue to find ways to win these games, play complete team complementary football.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky320December 31, 2021 01:02PM