Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oldnotdead with some thoughts on Rams playoff chances…

December 23, 2021 07:40AM
Here’s oldnotdead…

Hmmm, glass half empty? Not in my mind. I've been saying it since TC. The only team that can beat the Rams are themselves. If they play a clean game they can beat anyone.

Look at their losses. They came because of turnovers, bad penalties, and a DC who played too soft. When all of those are corrected they win, usually going away. This is a championship roster if it's played like one.

McVay has a real weakness in that he tends to go away from what's working. He gets too cute sometimes and outsmarts himself. He also struggles to make halftime adjustments. His adjustments are merely tweaks and trying to clean things up and sometimes it's not enough. It was clear Michel was the better RB so why was he continually taken off the field? Most of the time Henderson goes down at first contact. It's no coincidence this offense is better with Michel. Defenses have to respect Michel's power running. He's more than proven he can get chunk yardage.

Morris also tends to go away from what is working. Once they have a lead he backs off allowing the opposition to stay in the game. He did it again with Seattle and could have cost them the game. Why was the Ram's slowest LB Jones (4.78) in man coverage with Dee Jay Dallas (4.58)? Why wasn't Hollins or Floyd or even Reader, all of whom have the speed to run with Dallas in coverage? If you are going to play man coverage then have players capable of playing it on the field. Just because Jones can play in zone doesn't mean the rookie can play in man coverage when he's the slowest LB on the field. Morris kept rotating Ramsey off of Metcalf...why? Staley understood you play your strength against their strength. Morris is like McVay in that sense. He goes away from what is working.

If McVay and Morris clean up their act they have the players to dominate in games. McVay needs to take what is given and ride Michel as his bell-cow RB. Morris needs to play tight defense from beginning to game end. I say again if the Rams don't beat themselves they can beat anyone.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Oldnotdead with some thoughts on Rams playoff chances…

Rams43163December 23, 2021 07:40AM