Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, WR Odell Beckham Jr. - December 11, 2021

December 11, 2021 02:21PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, WR Odell Beckham Jr. - December 11, 2021
Head Coach Sean McVay, WR Odell Beckham Jr.

Head Coach Sean McVay
(Opening Statement)
“Injury wise, (OL) Brian Allen will be listed as doubtful. (Dcool smiley Robert Rochell will be out for the game. (OLcool smiley Terrell Lewis will be questionable. And then (Rcool smiley Darrell Henderson (Jr.) will not participate today because of an illness. (I) don't have any more information on that. Once a guy's not feeling good, we run some of the standard testing and we haven't gotten any of that stuff back as it relates to COVID and things of that nature.”

(On with OL Brian Allen being doubtful, where the team feels with OL Coleman Shelton)
“I feel good. Obviously, you'd love to be able to have Brian, but I think if anything, (OL) Coleman (Shelton) played the whole game last week with the exception of the opening snap. I thought he did an outstanding job. Got great command, great poise. I thought he played tough in both phases. And so, (I’m) very confident in Coleman's ability to step in and lead the way up front.”

(On RB Darrell Henderson Jr.’s status given he’s been limited at practice all week due to his thigh and now an illness)
“I think he's been here. And really, even though he has been limited, he's digested the whole game plan and he's taken part in some of the reps. So, Fridays are – it's Saturday but it's a Friday in our head, so we're such creatures of habit – typically kind of just above the neck and we get a little bit of work so it's not a huge deal. You don't minimize the importance of every single thing that we do, but that's not something that would totally concern me. But we'll wait and see exactly what his status is.”

(On if the way RB Sony Michel ran against the Jaguars gives him more confidence in what Michel can do)
“I wouldn't say increase. I had a lot of confidence in (Rcool smiley Sony (Michel) before then. I thought it was great for him to be able to get that amount of work, show that, really, he just gets stronger as the game goes on. And so, (I) felt good, but that's been something that he's done when he's gotten those opportunities throughout the course of his career. I think he's a really good back. (He’s) complete, tough, physical, does an outstanding job. He's really smart. (He) understands everything that we're asking of him. And so, (I) do feel very confident if it means that Darrell is limited in this game or not available.”

(On what he would say the identity of his offense is)
“I think we're working through that. I think, really in a lot of instances, it's a product of the players, first and foremost. We've had some personnel adjustments. We've had some guys go down that have been really key members of this offense. And so, it forces you to alter and adjust your plan. And it's always about the players first. I think what we're going to get to really see in the month of December is, I'll probably be better equipped to answer that. But I think the challenge for us as coaches is, (I have) such confidence in (Offensive Coordinator) Kevin (O’Connell) and our offensive staff to really be able to put together a game plan that's reflective of maximizing our players skillsets and then the players bringing it to life. And I think it doesn't have to necessarily be one approach or the other, it’s what's the most efficient way to be able to attack the opponent, utilize all of our personnel and ultimately put points up on the board. And so, last week I thought we did a good job of being physical, changing personnel groupings, being able to run the football, kind of dictate the terms. And then things came off of that. Whether or not that ends up being the narrative for this week is to be determined.”

(On if there is an ideal week he would have liked to know the vibe of)
“I think the good teams have the ability to alter their identity based on the nature of the game. I referenced it earlier this week, but you just look at, I think New England's been a really good offense that's had the ability to run it or throw it. And based on the situation and the circumstances in Buffalo, they say, ‘Hey, we got a lot of trust in our rookie quarterback (Patriots QB Mac Jones), but the best way we feel like to win this game as a team is to be able to run the football, sustain possession, take advantage of the change in the directions on those quarter changes.’ And so, it's about us playing as a team and how do we complement one another. You hear me talk about that complementary football a lot. What that looks like this week, hopefully when I'm talking to you guys after the game, we're saying, ‘This is the identity that we wanted to show, and it ended up leading to a good result for us.’

(On how close LB Justin Hollins is to being moved onto the active roster)
“(It’s) very likely that he’ll be available for us this week.”

(On if Hollins is available, what does that give the team)
“I think he did a great job really asserting and establishing himself as a legitimate dude opposite Flo (OLB Leonard Floyd). We came into the season, and you knew he was going to be a big part of what we wanted to do, where he just continued to get more reps as the season went on last year. But then, I thought he really established himself as not only a guy that can play on the line of scrimmage, but off the line of scrimmage. He can really be an every-down player on the line of scrimmage at that outside (line)backer position, as an outside rusher and oh, by the way, he's a Jokeresque type of skillset that can be able to play in coverage on the first or second level of the defense. And that really creates a lot of advantages for you. And so, now you add him into the mix with (OLcool smiley Von (Miller) and Flo, it's an exciting thing for us.”

(On if he feels like DL Aaron Donald in thinking this upcoming game is like a playoff game)
“If (DL) Aaron (Donald) says that, I agree (laughter). I do. I understand exactly what he said. What he means, though, is there's a heightened sense of awareness and urgency. You're not naive to the fact that a lot of the goals too are, ‘Hey, let's put ourselves in position to try to win the division.’ And if you don't take care of this game, you put yourself way behind the eight ball because they're three games up with four to go. And so, it is very important. It's the next game, but there's no doubt about it that there's a lot of ramifications that are very important to us. And I think what you also say is, this is the team with the best record in the NFL through 12 games, they've won 10 of 12 games. They've done an outstanding job. They're really a complete football team. They're well coached. They have great players. And as a competitor, this is what you love and can't wait for the opportunity to go compete. I think our players are excited about it. And so, I definitely understand and agree with what Aaron's saying.”

(On if he says anything differently or sets a different kind of tone leading up to a game like this)
“I think we try to be consistent, but there's certainly specific things that we say based on the matchups and the things that are important for us to go get it done. So, there's always a specific approach geared towards the opponent, but the urgency - you'd like to stay consistent with that week in and week out. But you're also aware and understanding of the fact that hey, if you continue to play relevant games in the month of December, they become that much more important because of what's at stake. And that's a positive thing where both teams have a lot to play for.”

(On if he has any questions about how good the Rams really are when you look at his record against teams with winning records and if he is measuring where the team is at)
“Every week is a great opportunity to measure yourself. And there's no doubt about it that with the previous three games, we didn't play good enough. I like the way we got back on track. And I think we're really going to get a chance to measure ourselves. I also think that we're really getting a feel for the best way to utilize this team. It's amazing when you go through, okay, who are the 48 guys up and active - how different that conversation is. And this is no different than any other team, but how different that conversation is right now compared to what it was before we opened up against the Bears. And so that agility, that adaptability is necessary. But I think every week offers an opportunity to really measure yourself. But I also think you can't ride that emotional wave in that rollercoaster, because you look at just how much changes on a week-to-week basis. And so, I do believe in staying totally and completely present. But without a doubt, this offers a great opportunity to measure ourselves and I think we'll get a good feel for where we're at and have to be able to react accordingly based on what happens.”

(On how Arizona’s pass defense compares with others he has faced and what makes them so good)
“I think they've got great players and they've got a great scheme. I think (Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Vance) Joseph does an excellent job being able to mix it up. They can put pressure on you with four, five-man rushes. Sometimes they'll send six players. I think they've got competitive guys. They play a lot of different structures and coverages on the back end. But you can see they see things as one. They do a good job of playing off of one another. And then they've got guys that have the ability to come up and match up. I've been really impressed with you look at (Cardinals CB Marco) Wilson and (CB Robert) Alford on the outside. (Cardinals CB Byron) Murphy (Jr.) has the ability to play inside and outside. I mean - you watch the way that this guy's game has progressed over the last handful of years - I think he's an outstanding player. (Cardinals S Budda) Baker is as active a safety as there is. I think he's really done a great job of really being able to have a lot of ball production. He's always been a great tackler and being able to make unbelievable plays in space, but now he's making a lot of plays on the ball as well. I think (Cardinals S Jalen) Thompson is an underrated safety. They've got underneath guys that are versatile pieces. (Cardinals LB Jordan) Hicks comes into the season where they use a pick on (Cardinals LB Zaven) Collins and he just shows why he's a great football player. He's got the dot, does a great job, and I'm seeing (LB Isaiah) Simmons really continue to progress. And so, you see why they are one of the top pass defenses in the league. It's a combination of rush and coverage. And I think Coach Joseph does an outstanding job with their scheme.”

(On the importance of getting off to a fast start, talking with the players about it, and the what the point of contention is to make that)
“I think it's really emphasizing the key points for us to be able to execute in each phase - whether that's offense, defense, or special teams, and how those things - those points of emphasis - are on are going to be really important to come to life against the Cardinals based on those matchups and things like that. And so, I think it is very important because I do look at it - you look at your track record, you say, ‘Okay, based on the way that our 12 games have unfolded this year, what are some of the themes that are consistent when we're getting the outcomes that we want? And then when we're not?’ and usually it's because we're not starting fast and we're turning the football over. And so, those are always key points like we've talked about a lot here. But there's no doubt about it, that a fast start is important against a really explosive, complete team like the Cardinals.”

(On how much of it is mental preparation)
“Huge! I think it's a combination of both and I think that's why the week of preparation is so important, so that guys can go into the game and compete with a quieted mind, knowing that, hey, adjustments are always something that does come up. But in a lot of instances when you're 12 games in and you're playing your 13th game, there's going to be a lot of things that, hey, you can trust the tape, trust your preparation, trust your fundamentals and techniques, and then go play to the best of your ability and enjoy doing it.”

WR Odell Beckham Jr.
(On how he is)
“Good.”

(On how practice was for him this week)
“It's been good. Everything's starting to come around. It’s that December time of the year. This is where teams really start to mesh and jell and have to play their best football. So, I'm looking forward to just being able to continue to work and find ways to put these games together and win.”
(On how he is feeling health wise)
“I'm good. I'll be alright.”

(On his touchdown celebration from the Jaguars game)
“Just an original. Pretty much everything I do is original, but it's just from Call of Duty. Sometimes you get down in life and it's always good to have a self-revive, so I had to go ahead use a self-revive, get back up. Just having fun.”

(On if he rehearses things like that in his house or does it just pop up on game day)
“I remember I told someone before the game. I called them, I was like, ‘Man, what should I do when I score today?’ because I knew I was going to score and it's something I used to do a lot when I was in New York. I remember I'd go home and be like, ‘Man, I'm scoring three touchdowns. What should I do on the first, second and third one?’ And I feel like by having that, it allows you to be in your game plan more and to know like, ‘Okay, this is the play that I'm going to score on. This is exactly how it's going to happen.’ You visualize it happening before it happens. And not all the times, but usually good things work from that.”

(On if his teammates knew what he was going for)
“Yeah, they knew. They knew after what I was doing, but I think Coop (WR Cooper Kupp) thought I came down wrong or something. Y'all could mess with him whenever you see him, but I dunked on him. So, I think he thought I came down wrong and he was just kind of worried for a second, but I (was) just having fun.”

(On if Call of Duty players would recognize his celebration)
“Oh, they know they all know.”

(On Head Coach Sean McVay not knowing what was going on with the celebration and if McVay asked him about it afterwards)
“I can't remember if he asked me something after on the sideline, but like I said, definitely (I was) just having fun. (I’m) just happy to be playing football again. Like I say, it is important to find ways to win these December games and make sure we handle our business.”

(On the Rams not traditionally taking part in touchdown celebrations, if that’s something he wants the locker room to get more involved in)
“I just want people to have fun. You can celebrate and not celebrate as long as you are scoring. Points go up on the board the same way. I definitely don't mind trying to get Coop maybe to get one in before, but who knows.”

(On what he’s seeing from the Cardinals defense and what challenges they present)
“They’re one of the best teams in the NFL. They’re great all around. They play good complimentary football. They (have) great defensive backs. Up front they’re good. And they're just fundamentally sound. They have a great offense as well. So, it is definitely a tough challenge, but I'm looking forward to it. I lost to Arizona once this year already and there's definitely a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth. So, I'm looking forward to it.”

(On scoring two touchdowns in the past two games, if he feels like he’s getting into a rhythm now)
“Just finding ways to help out if I can. I think I'll start to see progression as the season goes along. I’m very happy to be back in the endzone, very happy to get a win. I hate losing more - not more than anybody, just as much as anyone else who really hates losing. It’s all about winning right now and I know that touchdowns will help us win, so (I’m) trying to score as many as possible.”

(On if he has any preference when it comes to catching a ball)
“It doesn't matter. Anytime you get an opportunity to score, it's always a great opportunity. (Head) Coach (Sean) McVay and these guys, they just get it, you know? You get down there, your receivers, they haven't had that kind of day that they want to have and you throw 'em a little fade ball and score a touchdown off it. It's great. They just get it. So, I love any 50-50 ball. I feel like ten times out ten, but I'll say nine times out ten, like I'm going to come down with it. So, it's just great to have opportunities. Great to have opportunity to play football.”

(On the impact of RB Darrell Henderson being placed on the COVID reserve list)
“Next man's up. Everybody's got to step up. It's unfortunate, but it is going around and that is part of the world and we do have protocols and all that. So just abide by the rules. Let him get healthy, pray for his health, his safety throughout all that. Yeah, just got to have the next man up. Everybody's got to step up and play.”

(On his confidence in RB Sony Michel especially after his performance last week)
“I mean, I watched him when he was at Georgia, I watched him in New England. He's more than capable. I even told him before the game, I was like, ‘You're going for 120 today.’ Like just nudging him every time I get in there, like ‘You’re going for 120.’ He's a guy (that) could do it all. So, like I say, he has his opportunity, he's going to step up and he's going to do what he does.”

(On if he is a big Call of Duty guy)
“You know, the new Call of Duty just came out. It's one of the only games I've ever played as much as I play. It's just the best game, so yeah. I love Call of Duty. I've been thinking about that celebration for a long, long time. The whole plating up thing, the whole symbolism behind self-reviving and plating up, it just was very fitting.”

(On if he knew Former Broncos WR Demaryius Thomas and how have they tried to support former Broncos teammate OLB Von Miller during this time)
“Just be there. (OLcool smiley Von’s (Miller) a brother to me. We've had this relationship for years. I've known (Former Broncos WR) Demaryius (Thomas) for years, hung out with him multiple times and it's just sad. It’s very heartbreaking and a subtle, soft reminder of how precious life is and how to just be present and value each and every moment. So, my prayers go to his family, ones who loved him, the ones who are hurting through our community, Broncos - it's a tough loss.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky218December 11, 2021 02:21PM