Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

some rushing stats

November 16, 2021 04:26PM
thought I'd peruse some rushing stats and see if what we think we are seeing actually corresponds with the actual numbers.

Rams are 23rd in rushing attempts a game at 24.3, last 3 games they have averaged 20.7. good for 28th over the 3 game stretch. TB is actually worse and also have lost a couple in a row. Houston, who is horrible is worse and Buffalo, who laid an egg 2 weeks ago.

in 2020, the Rams averaged 29.7 attempts a game. Good for 7th overall. 2019 they averaged 25.1, 17th overall. 2018 they averaged 29.0, good for 6th.

So they are indeed running less.

I also looked at run play percentage. Rams are 12th worst at about 38.9%. 2020 was 44.25% or 6th best run percentage in the league. 2019 they were unsurprisingly 8th worst at 38%. 2018 was 43.6%. good for 9th best.

So the Rams are on pace to replicate their 2019 run game. Attempts and percentage of runs vs pass are almost identical. That season ended poorly at 9-7.

This team has more talent, and I'm not saying they are heading towards 9-8. But if McVay is going to continue to ignore the run game, he is going to severely limit his own offenses effectiveness.

on a side note, Rams are 23rd in ToP, last year they were 5th. That 2019 season, they were...you guessed it, 22nd. 2018 they were 8th.

This isn't rocket science. And if a dummy like me can figure this out, I'm sure the Rams analytics team sure can or has.

I've got several theories or ideas about why McVay is more pass heavy this year.

1. Akers injury and Hendos injury history has McVay hesitant to run Hendo a ton.

2. McVay got his ultimate toy in Stafford, and he just can't help but to use it over and over. You don't but a Ferrari to drive 3 blocks for groceries and you don't trade for a franchise qb for him to hand off.

3. It's actually not as bad as the numbers suggest due to falling behind 14 quick points 2 weeks in a row and throwing to get back in the game against teams hellbent on dominating ToP.

4. Lacking a true 2nd TE due to injury, the Rams have been forced into 11 personnel almost exclusively and limits the Rams ability to go 12 and grind out some tough yards.

5. Imo, it's actually a combination of all of the 4 above. I'm sure McVay wants to unleash Stafford. I'm sure losing Mundt and Everett hurts in 12 personnel groupings, Akers is a huge blow, and frankly you can't go down 14 early against ball control offenses and run with regularity.

Problem is only 1 of those things can get fixed. Akers is gone for the regular season, Mundt is gone, Everett is gone and Stafford is here. So they need to stay out of holes early. I'd also love to see a 6th OL come in and play some inline jumbo TE and just try jamming it down some throats. Esp against teams like Baltimore, Minnesota, SF, and Green Bay. McVay would never do it, but it'd sure be cool if he did.

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

some rushing stats

Deadpool213November 16, 2021 04:26PM

Re: some rushing stats

Atlantic Ram113November 16, 2021 04:36PM