Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay - November 16, 2021

November 16, 2021 02:07PM

Head Coach Sean McVay
Head Coach Sean McVay
(On if there are any changes or updates to injuries)
“(I) don't have any of those. Not yet.”

(On his assessment of WR Odell Beckham Jr. and LB Von Miller’s debut)
“I think (Lcool smiley Von (Miller) did a nice job. You could see him kind of feeling his way around, and he made some plays, and you could definitely feel his presence. I think for (WR) Odell (Beckham Jr.) to even be able to get out there and line up is a real credit to him. We didn't even have one full speed practice with him. So, these next 12 days will be really important to get him implemented, get him up to speed, and figure out a plan of attack to maximize our offensive players, and to play better than the way that we have these last couple of weeks. That's where my focus and concentration will be over the next few days.”

(On how much he had to adjust during the half to be able to counter the Niners gameplan against WR Cooper Kupp)
“They did a good job defensively. I thought they did a really nice job controlling the football, maintaining possession. And then when we turn it over twice, that's a recipe for losses for us this year especially in those first halves. And so, (WR) Cooper (Kupp) made a couple plays, made a couple uncharacteristic plays, but really as a whole, we just haven't been playing well enough offensively. Give the Niners credit. They did a good job and they deserved to win that game last night”

(On his assessment of QB Jimmy Garoppolo’s Play Monday)
“He did a good job. (Qcool smiley Jimmy's (Garoppolo) a good player. They’ve won a lot of games with Jimmy behind the center. He sees the field well. He can speed up his release at the top and you see his teammates rallied around him. I respect Jimmy Garoppolo’s game. I thought he played a good game last night.”

(On what he meant by his post-game remark, “We are going to come back freaking swinging”.)
“My emotions got the best of me. I almost said the wrong word there and you guys would have been really bleeping everywhere. I don't know how to do anything else when our back is against the wall than just to come out and fight and really just work hard and try to be solution oriented. What I mean by that is we're going to look at the things that we need to be able to correct. I think the first thing is as a coach, let's look at some things that we can apply solution-oriented plans to try to be able to have some tangible results that show up on the field. We are seven and three, we've got seven games left. They never end the season after 10 games, but we do have to fix some of these things with some urgency. Guys have to play better. But I think the first thing that I always want people to do in our organization is to look inward within the framework of your role. And for us as coaches, that is looking at the film, figuring out what we can do to accentuate our player skill sets - whether that's utilizing different guys, putting them in different spots, having better game plans. And then it's our player's job to be able to go execute and apply these solution-oriented plans that we're trying to give them. And so, that's what I mean by ‘coming out freaking swinging.’ I was just a little emotional after the game last night.”

(On if there is concern of confidence issues when you lose back-to-back games like they have)
“I don't think so because I know my confidence isn't lost. I don't think our players is, but I think what you want to make sure is that you are demonstrating reasons to feel confidence, whether that's drawing on previous experiences, showing them when these things haven't worked to our favor, why is that? Is this something that we can overcome and giving them tangible evidence for why they should draw confidence on, ‘Hey, this is what we need to be able to go do. Let's go do it.’ But you don't just show up and say, ‘Yeah, I feel confident.’ You’ve got to actually have some work that goes behind that. And that's where I look at it as we are on the bye (week). The benefit is you can get a little bit of rest. I plan on taking today to kind of just catch my breath and then attack it the right way so that when our players come back, they feel that there's some real work that's been done that can provide them with a blueprint to go have success and play the way that I know these guys are capable of playing.”

(On if the 49ers minimized the impact of the pressure put on the linebackers and defensive backs to make plays and if there is anything they can do to maximize the impact of the pass rushing talent)
“You have to be more efficient on early downs so that you can minimize the opportunity for them to convert on shorter third downs in those windows. And then they did a good job creating after the catch but credit (to) them. They had a good plan. They came out physical, they were able to sustain drives, they were efficient on third down. I think because of that early-down efficiency, that led to them being able to keep in alignment with that game plan. Whereas if you look at it in some instances for us, you get behind the sticks, you're not efficient on early down, you take penalties or things like that, and now you're playing behind the sticks and the nature of which how you want to play is totally convoluted. They were able to stay on track. When we can get people off track defensively is when really things can be illustrated in a manner that's reflective of these guys really doing a great job rushing the passer, putting a lot of pressure on these offenses. To their credit, we weren't able to do that as frequently as we'd like, defensively.”

(On if he would like to see his best defensive backs in coverage more often against the other teams’ best receivers)
“No, I think there's merit to that. I think in order to be able to do that with (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey), you still have to have some other complimentary pieces that can go play elsewhere. Double D (CB Dont’e Deayon) has been a guy that's done an outstanding job being able to allow Jalen to have that flexibility these last couple of weeks. It was (Ccool smiley Darious (Williams) earlier in the season, it's been Double D as late. So, there's a lot of layers to it as (mentioned), but there are certainly some instances. And we had that in the second half where he was matched up on some of those guys, but whether it's (49ers WR) Deebo (Samuel), (49ers TE George) Kittle even (49ers WR Brandon) Aiyuk made a couple plays. Definitely want to try to continue to find ways to have Jalen at the point of attack or where you envision offenses want their point of attack player to be, but there are a lot of layers to it.”

(On if bringing Miller in and rushing with four guys provides more opportunities to use CB Jalen Ramsey more in coverage situations)
“I think you pick and choose your spots. And I think a lot of it is predicated on their personnel, their scheme, how they want to operate and how many different ways can we creatively find ways to get Jalen at the point of attack. This is all really geared towards the flexibility that Jalen enables us to operate with the different positions he can play, it's how many different ways can we give him play opportunities? And those ‘make a difference plays.’ Whereas if you're exclusively just playing corner on one side or the other, you can basically say, ‘Okay, he's going to shut out, or we're going to just be able to stay away from that.’ But he's not going to be able to impact and influence the game, even though in some ways it kind of does, but he's just such a physical, tough player that you want to try to have him around the ball as much as possible, take advantage of all the versatility he provides. And I think on a week-to-week basis, that's predicated on the opponent, how we want to utilize our personnel groupings. And so again, I know it's not really answering your question, but similar to (the question asked before) there's a lot of layers to it.”

(On if they felt like they had Ramsey in the ideal place selection considering the last two losses)
“Yeah. I think yesterday, I think against Tennessee, I do think, yes. I think he was in the right spots. I thought he made a lot of plays. You look at the first interception he makes on the first drive that they have offensively, that was a game-changing play that enabled us to go up 3-0. Yesterday I thought he made some plays, but I thought they did a good job of staying on schedule. And then, having Double D as a late inactive for us where we anticipated him playing, you have to make some late switches. Guys did the best job they could adjusting, but there (were) some instances yesterday where I think we would like to say we could get Jalen in some different spots, but again, there was some reasons for not having the flexibility that maybe we've had the previous few weeks.”

(On what he really wants to look at specifically over the next couple of days)
“I really want to look at the body of work – the 10 games. I think you especially want to really focus on these last two, because they've really felt out of whack for us. I think it's a balance of not really looking at things that are as simple as, ‘Hey, you've had two early turnovers that have led to 14-point swings.’ It's hard to overcome that. Yesterday's game was a different feel than the Titans game in terms of I thought their ability to be able to maintain possession of the football, but I think just the overall rhythm. And then again, you lose a (WR) Robert Woods. You want to get (WR) Odell (Beckham Jr.) implemented. And I think it's really just being able to figure out, ‘Okay. With the mindset and the mentality on playing good football – playing good, efficient, complimentary football – for our football team these last seven games. What does it look like from the first 10 games? Where are we at now? Who do we have? How do we make sure that we maximize the ability of our players and put those guys in good spots?’ And so it’s not one answer, but it's really looking at the totality of what we can do. I think because of some of the new personnel, because of some of the things that have occurred as of late how teams are wanting to defend us, there's a lot of things that I'm excited about attacking the right way. I'm confident that we can come out with some things that give us a chance to have better success than what we've had. And that's what I mean by ‘come out swinging.’ That's what we're going to do. (We’ll) catch our breath. I think it's good for the players to get away, like I've said, but I will try to do that while also making sure that I've got a big responsibility and obligation to a lot of people I care a lot about to try to make sure that they're getting my best for these last seven games that we’re guaranteed.”

(On QB Matthew Stafford’s performance over the past two games – how uncharacteristic is it, how much of it is his performance alone and what else is involved going on around him)
“I think it's a combination. I think (Qcool smiley Matthew (Stafford) can certainly play better, but I do think a lot of the things that occurred last night were a reflection of as simple as drops. He had a lot of drops. The one kind of careless play, but you could look at it and say it ends up being like a good, deep punt. He’s going to get knocked on his quarterback rating for a tipped pick for him when a guy drops a screen for him. That's not Matthew's fault. He put the ball in the right location. There was a lot of plays that I thought guys had a chance that they didn't help him at all either. It is the greatest team sport. I expect that he can play a little bit better. I think there's some decisions, but I didn't think he got much help from a lot of really good teammates that I know can play a lot better. And then there's definitely some things that we can do to put him in better spots. I think, rather than just looking at the rating or whatever, you've got to watch each play for its own entity and realize there was a lot more to it than maybe what a rating or just the stats simply say because you need some help as well.”

(On what the similarities and differences between now and two back-to-back “surprising” losses in 2018)
“That that was a lot later on in the year when those two losses occurred. We had a chance to then say, ‘Let's finish up this season.’ You win those two games, you end up getting a first-round bye in the playoffs. We got a lot more football left. This coincides with the bye. Last year, we had a tough loss going into our bye that was very frustrating and (I) thought our guys came out and they responded the right way after that. And so that's exactly what we're going to be looking to do. Football is such a unique sport week in and week out. You just look around the league at the different parody that exists. I want to look at the full 10 games that we played. I don't want to minimize the importance of ‘you are only as good as your most recent game’ as well. You got to look closely at those things that haven't been up to the standards. And then again, you got to really monitor how do we move forward with the players that we're going to be playing with and how do we fit those guys in the right way to ultimately lead to the best offense, defense and in our kicking game, those operations for a football team. We haven't played good enough complimentary football. We got to take better care of the football. We've got to start getting more takeaways. And if we do that, that's the main thing other than the points that leads to wins and losses. That's a very simplified answer, but there's a lot of things that we can do. I don't know how similar I can make when we ended up losing to Philly, in those back-to-back games in the ‘18 season. It's hard to draw on a comparison from that.”

(On if that instance was Xs and Os versus this time being execution)
“I wouldn't say that. Certainly, I think that players can play better, but I think there's a lot of things that we can do collectively to be better. I think that's all encompassing to X's and O's, execution, utilizing different personnel, player skillsets. All those things will be looked at to try to ultimately be the best football team that we can be when we come back for our 11th game against the Packers.”

(On his evaluation of the three phases in terms of both what he likes and what some areas of focus for him or the staff as a whole either during or coming out of the bye week)
“I think it's hard to say right now because it's so fresh off of last night. I'll probably be better equipped to answer that question for you in a manner that's reflective of taking the emotions of last night's game out a little bit later on - where you can say, let's take a step back, let's look at the totality of it. But let's also understand that there is a trajectory on the season and right now our trajectory is not going in the right way. Is that something that can be fixed? Without a doubt it can. It has got to be fixed and that's everything that we're going to focus and concentrate on over this next week. But we are seven and three and we're not an 0 and 10 football team, but we haven't played good enough to win. And I think in particular, we've got to play better offensively these last couple of weeks, to be able to be the team that I think we're capable of. Defensively, I expect us to get off the grass better last night. But I think you give credit to the Niners. I thought they did a nice job executing, but I know our players have a lot higher standards and our coaches for the way that we can play without minimizing the credit that I think is due for the Niners. And then the kicking game, I think we've been up and down. I've been really pleased with our field goal operation. I think (K) Matt Gay's has been a real bright spot for us and that's been a really important part of our team success this year.”

(On if he has been updated on the injuries)
“I haven't connected with (Vice President of Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) yet. I didn't have any immediate concerns afterwards, but guys come in for treatment and then after they get treated and things like that, or if there's anybody that came in where they woke up with something and they usually get a scan, so have not gotten with Reggie on that information yet. So, that's kind of why I don't have any updates. But there wasn't any immediate concerns after the game. Usually that's reflective of if there's anybody that's going to miss some time, but there have been times when guys come in the next morning and you say, ‘Oh man,’ get them a scan, and maybe it reveals something that is not good.”

(On if he has time to consider things like seedings)
“No, I mean, I know what's going on around the league. But I also know just like when we've talked about this over the last handful of years, when you've asked kind of similar questions - if we don't handle our business, those seedings become really irrelevant. We’ve got to figure out a way to play better football to even give ourselves a chance to be a part of that conversation after the 17 games that were guaranteed. And so, the only way that you even are relevant enough to be in those conversations is if you take care of your business in the present and this season has been especially relevant of that. When you just look at the scores around the league and everybody's meeting everybody. Really good teams are having surprising weekly results. I'd like to think that these are outliers that have occurred with us over these last couple of weeks. And I'm looking forward to seeing how we come back after this bye, and hopefully figure out a way to play better football. And I am confident with the people, the coaches, the players, that we can do it.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky255November 16, 2021 02:07PM