Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell, DL Aaron Donald, CB Jalen Ramsey - November 12, 2021

November 12, 2021 05:47PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell, DL Aaron Donald, CB Jalen Ramsey - November 12, 2021

Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell, DL Aaron Donald, CB Jalen Ramsey
Head Coach Sean McVay
(On how many poker games he’s lost in his life)
“A lot. We’re excited about being able to add (WR) Odell (Beckham Jr.). I know there's going to be a lot of questions about it. I've always had a lot of appreciation for his game from afar. And I've gotten to know him a little bit over these last couple of years. (I’m) excited to be able to have him come in and watch our guys put their arms around him and help him kind of help our team improve. As far as any sort of expectations, we're going to get him in the building. We're going to see how quickly we can get him up to speed with some stuff. We felt like he makes us a better football team. It was a really unique situation being able to acquire a player of his caliber under these types of circumstances. I don't know if there's ever been a scenario like this that’s kind of been presented. I think a lot of our guys and players who are very important to me were excited about trying to be able to get Odell on board with us. But it's going to be a process. (I’m) excited to be able to kind of dive into that with him. I know (Wide Receiver) Coach (Eric) Yarber and the rest of our offensive coaches and the receiving group (are excited as well). As far as his status for this weekend, or on Monday night, we'll see. We're going to take it a day at a time. But if we feel like he can help us go compete against the 49ers, then we'll have him ready to go. And those will be conversations that'll take part between myself and Odell and the rest of the people that are involved.”

(On his comment last week about fixing up some personnel groupings, if adding WR Odell Beckham Jr. can offer a long-term opportunity to do that)
“I think there's not any limitations to his game. He's got the ability to play all over the formation. He can win isolations. He can win short, intermediate, down the field. His resume kind of speaks for itself. And so, that's an intriguing thing to be able to partner up with anybody that has that natural skill set. Just talking a little bit of ball with him, you can tell he's got great football IQ. Even just watching him over the last couple of years, you can see the game makes sense to him. But as far as exactly what it means, what that role looks like, this is something that's going to be developing as we go and we're going to try to get him up to speed as quickly as possible. But in a lot of instances too, you look at it, where we end up, you move on from (Raiders WR) DeSean (Jackson), you end up having injuries to (WR) TuTu (Atwell) and (WR) Jacob Harris. And so, you've got some receivers where a lot of these guys – you look at (WR) Van (Jefferson), you look at (WR) Cooper (Kupp) and (WR) Robert (Woods) – are playing almost every single snap. (WR) Ben Skowronek has done a nice job in the role that he's had when he's been asked to come in and play. And then (WR) J.J. Koski is a guy that we've seen behind the scenes do a lot of good things. But other than that, those are the receivers that were really talking about. And so, to be able to bring in a player like this was something we felt like gave us the depth and is going to make our football team a lot better and very excited about it.”

(On with how much he asks of receivers in his scheme, how difficult will it be to get Beckham Jr. up to speed)
“I think there's ways to try to navigate around that. There is a learning curve, but I think there's also the ability for the other 10 teammates in the huddle to be able to help communicate things and get him up to speed. When you've got a quarterback with such great command like we do, that is a huge bonus. He's a coach on the field. And really when you look at it, Cooper and Robert kind of represent that same thing with their experience and ownership and understanding of the things that we're trying to get done. So, that'll be something that you don't minimize the importance of that, but I also think what alleviates some of the stress on somebody coming in on short notice is the command of the other guys that he's playing with.”

(On if he has any concerns about the chemistry of the locker room after adding Beckham Jr.)
“I don't. I think you want to continue to communicate and make sure everybody understands what the expectations are and always make sure that we're having a clear understanding of, ‘This is the goal. This is why we're doing this.’ We've got a lot of our great leaders that are wired the right way. I think they all want to work in the same direction and expect these guys to be able to accept Odell with open arms. And that's the sense that I've got from our team.”

(On what was accomplished in the conversations he had with Beckham Jr. before he committed to signing)
“Really just talking to him as he's working through his situation. To his credit, he had a lot of options, a lot of different directions that he could go because people wanted to be able to partner up with him. And so, it was more about listening, being able to answer some things, but then also say there's a lot of questions that will be answered based on, ‘Hey, here's the commitment that we can make to you. We expect you to come in, work hard and do everything in your power to be the best player that you can be.’ And as far as that, that's kind of really what the conversation entailed.”

(On if his mind is rolling with ideas now that he has all these other options offensively)
“You’re definitely excited about the potential of what he can bring to our offense. Anytime that you add a player of his caliber, he's going to be able to do some different things and you'll be able to utilize his skill set and in an exciting way. But I think it all came together so quickly. There is an element of a ‘we're focused on the 49ers.’ Is he going to be a part of that or not? I think that's going to be determined over the next couple of days, but we've got a lot of confidence in the guys that have been here, that have been going to work, that have put us in a position to try to go get our eighth win after 10 games. And so it is exciting, but you want to make sure you're kind of prioritizing how to navigate through all of this in the right way with the roles and responsibilities that I have to this team.”

(On if he just keeps Beckham Jr. static this week or if he does play, will he be put in all the motions and things of that nature)
“He’s got a good feel just based on the way he was utilized with the Giants and even with Cleveland. In a lot of instances, if you're kind of given a couple of extra coaching points in the huddle, that's where (Qcool smiley Matthew (Stafford) really helps with that. I think the easiest thing is sometimes if you're saying static, but I'm definitely not going to say that's all we'll do with him. How we onboard him and how we get him up to speed as quickly as possible, that could be a possible approach that we take. But I do think, like I mentioned earlier, Matthew, some of the other skill players can really help get him up to speed faster than maybe another scenario would allow.”

(On if the autonomy that WR Cooper Kupp and WR Robert Woods have built is something that he sees WR Odell Beckham Jr. being drawn to)
“Yeah. Cooper and Robert have both earned the opportunity to get more chances to really (say), ‘Hey, how am I recognizing this?’ And ‘Do I have a couple of decisions where I could run a variety of different routes?’ They've earned that. Odell certainly looks like he has the skill set to be able to do that. But I think that takes some time. That takes rapport. And then as far as when things break down off schedule, certain guys have a good feel for open areas. And then you have your standard kind of scramble rules. And so that'll be something that again, I've gotten to know him a little bit, but haven't had any interaction with him being in the building just quite yet. And so there's a lot of things that you want to get up to speed as quickly as possible, but we're working through in the midst of it.”

(On his first thought when he heard that Beckham Jr.’s might come here)
“I was excited. I knew that there was a possibility because anytime that you have some of the players that we have in this great city and a good organization, I think you're going to attract some guys. But I think this is a real credit to our players. He wanted to pair up with some of these great players we have on our roster. Where guys are focused on, ‘Hey, let's be the best football team that we can be. Let's try to put ourselves in a position to do some special things.’ You only do that one day at a time. And our focus is ongoing and attacking a great opportunity to try to get a divisional win against a really tough opponent. And if he's able to play, he's going to help us with that, but I was excited about it. And I think he's going to help us.”

(On when he assesses a player of Beckham Jr.’s caliber, what traits he values and looks at the most)
“Yeah, that's really important. A big part of the types of people that we want are the guys that love football. They're great competitors, but they're also resilient, mentally tough to be able to push through certain things. Odell has done that with injuries and so that's an important part of it. And that was an appealing part of him as well.”

(On how instrumental if at all was CB Jalen Ramsey in terms of recruiting Beckham Jr.’s to L.A.)
“I would say very. I think you could see (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) cares so much. Whether it was when we get a chance to bring (OLcool smiley Von (Miller) in, whether it's Odell in a little bit different circumstances because you're trading for one player and then the other one has the availability to kind of pick and choose, where he's in essence a free agent in the middle of the season. I don't know, since I've been coaching, if a scenario like this has ever presented itself. But I think the respect, the relationships they have, whether it be with Jalen or with Von and then some of our other players on the team, I think it was definitely instrumental.”

(On if he is enjoying the all-in approach and risk of this season being labeled a failure without a championship)
“Yeah. I don't really look at it like that. We want to be inside out. I'm not necessarily worried about the outside in approach. These moves, when you look at acquiring Von and you look at acquiring Odell, were reflective of what we felt like was going to help improve our team. And try to do things where we're putting ourselves in a position to be relevant. Everybody wants to throw the Super Bowl and stuff like that out. We got to win our eighth football game before we do anything else. And we got to be where our feet are planted. I think it's really exciting to be able to partner up with great talents and great players, but we want to make sure that we're building the right team the right way. I'm not naive to the fact that the narrative is out there, but all of these moves were a reflection of what we felt like upgraded our football team. And then you guys have heard me say it before, this is the greatest team sport that there is. We felt like both these guys will offer something to help, defense with Von or offense with Odell. And so, it's our job to make sure we help put it all together the right way. And then the players to be able to take that ownership and autonomy that I think the great teams do.”

(On his impression of Beckham Jr.)
“(I am) really impressed with what just a quality person he is. I've run into him and gotten to know him a little bit just from him being out in L.A. a lot of these off seasons. And then just watching him as a competitor. So, I've really gotten to enjoy getting to know him and I really like him. (I am) looking forward to really getting to know him under these settings and these circumstances. But I've enjoyed talking to him over these last couple of days and really excited about building that relationship with him.”

(On what he learns of Kupp and Woods when presented with a chance to acquire Beckham Jr.)
“It's why I think it's very rare that you see receivers with “C” (captain) on their chests and both those guys have it. And I think it's a reflection of who they are as people. Number one, they're great competitors, but they're all about the right stuff. We talk about this ‘we, not me’ being a big part of how we want to operate. And I think those two guys epitomize it as good as anybody. And being with those guys is one of the best parts about coaching. And seeing their reaction, I think it's also a reflection of their security within themselves and knowing that, ‘Hey, if this guy can help our team continue to do some of the things that we want to do,’ they're all about it, and that's why you love those guys.”

Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris
(On what his reaction was to WR Odell Beckham Jr. signing)
“Excited to acquire another football player that can help your football team, and it's always good to get those guys any way you can. When you bring them around these kinds of guys and this group of guys, you know it’s going to work because of the people here. (Head Coach) Sean (McVay)’s did a great job of promoting a people first environment, and the guys here certainly embody that at the highest level. So, I was excited.”

(On what he sees in Beckham Jr. as someone who has coached wide receivers and has schemed against him)
“I can't wait to see him. I still got bad memories from 2014. I was coaching for the Washington Football Team. I think he was a rookie or even a second-year player and he went off on us and had a heck of a day. It was one of the few people I know that could take a slant to the house. It was very exciting. His movement skills, his double up skills, his ability to release off the line of scrimmage and win one-on-one battles. Just knowing from him his separation skills and the things that you covered from being a wide receiver coach is certainly some of the things that you’d get excited about certainly adding to our group. Same type of philosophy on how you want to separate, same type of philosophy how you want to get open and the timing of the play, with our Head Coach Sean McVay, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell, those guys, they'll all speak the same language and be able to communicate the same way along with our quarterback; A guy that can throw the ball at just about anybody. I look forward to seeing these guys practice together first, before anything.”

(On how much of a challenge it is to work in an offensive or defensive player in the middle of the season)
“I think the biggest part about it is the guys here. It’s not just the coaches working them in. The players around those guys working them in. If you talk about our side of the ball and (OLcool smiley Von (Miller) last week, Flo (OLB Leonard Floyd) was just a big of help as working into Von as any coach on our staff. We got a great Outside Linebacker Coach in Thad (Bogardus) and he did a wonderful job with those guys getting ready for whatever packages that we had planned for those people. (Defensive Line/Run Game Coordinator Eric Henderson) ‘Henny’ is another guy that's able to communicate with a guy like Von and you’re able to team up on those guys and give those guys all the information that they need to be successful. And when you're talking about these types of players that have had success in our league, they know how to win. They know how to fit in, they know what to listen to and who to listen to and we got the guys to be able to give them direction. (Ccool smiley Jalen Ramsey was another guy that was strong and instrumental in how Von fit into our building and our locker room and everything that we got to do from a defensive standpoint. So just having those types of strong influence in those types of people and our organization just makes it a lot easier to do that.”

(On if people are jokingly calling Jalen Ramsey ‘GM Ramsey’)
“I don't know. I just know when you're a really good football player, great football player like Jalen, you have great relationships with everybody across the league from a respect standpoint. And when you have that type of respect from your peers, it’s always going to help out when it comes to communication with these players. It's the basketball model. LeBron James didn't only just recruit people, he moved people to different cities. He was able to move different cities, take different cultures, form cultures wherever he went. Jalen Ramsey is that type of a guy. (DL) Aaron Donald's that type of a guy. Those guys, they embody cultures, they formed their own, and they formed these relationships with guys that people respect. And when you got that kind of a name and that kind of a power, it's always great to use for your organization and for your team, especially when you use it the right way, and he has obviously in these situations.”

(On if already having superstars on the team makes it easier to incorporate another one)
“You never want to say easy, you want to say that these guys respect their peers. When you feel like a guy's your peer, like no different than when Jalen got here and was able to respect Aaron Donald--and still to this day, he calls him the best player on the planet and the best player in our football team--and a lot of us, we can argue that all day. Who cares, right? When you’re able to get those guys in your football team and accept those guys, I just think those people respect each other, they respect the opinions of their peers and they call on coaches. Every player in this locker room before I even got on campus had talked to somebody from Atlanta or the Washington Football Team or Tampa Bay or somebody that they played with, like an (former Rams Ccool smiley Aquib Talib. It's no different than what the players do. They know each other, they know who they want to play against, they know what they want to play with, and they know what a good player looks like. These guys are going to go recruit players that win, and no other reason.”

(On what kind if progress Miller has made this week)
“We got to see. Today we’ll go out to practice, get a chance to move around a little bit. He looked a lot better in walk through than he even did last week. And like he says, his common goal to me is I feel better than I did yesterday. So, I'm going to go with that same catchphrase.”

(On the interior pressure of the 49ers)
“With the protection system that we know pretty well, you got to have short hitches in the pocket. (49ers Head Coach) Kyle Shanahan's probably preaching that right now over a bag or doing something to take a short hitches in the pocket, small hit, just playing with a wide base. He's gotten better and better throughout the years, but when that breaks down and you're able to create that pressure up the middle and make people step to the right to the left, like we all talk about getting the quarterback off the spot, the percentages go down, particularly when you work the middle of the field as much as those guys do with either their route concepts, where you’re placing the ball, where they want to go with the ball based on their play action pass, their keeper game. I think all those things contribute to creating pressure and getting them off the spot. And getting them off those spots are what you want to do every single week. I think the first time I talked to our media group here was one of the keys to winning the football game was affecting the quarterback, and we have been able to do that. So hopefully we can continue to do that this week and effect this quarterback to get us a win.”

(On what the 49ers can do in terms of their catch and run plays)
“They have, not in a funny way, but they have joker-type players that are able to do different things. (49ers WR) Deebo Samuel, is he a running back? Is he a receiver? Is he a guy that can line up at quarterback? Possibly. You just never know what the type of skills that they have. And then you go to (49ers TE George) Kittle and what he's able to do. He lines up as a wideout, he can line up as a tight end. He can line up as a conventional fullback. He can move anywhere around the field and the same with the full back. He's one of those guys that can get out of the backfield, be a normal traditional fullback, lineup as a tight end. And they create so many windows and so many avenues just based off probably one personnel group and that could look like three. And those are the things that make those guys special, especially when they get the ball in their hand. And the ability to run with the football and create extra yards in space is impressive and it's impressive to watch.”

(On how he retains the philosophy of being patience)
“We have to get our jokers going too. We got a couple of jokers as well. Jalen Ramsey, is he a linebacker? Is he a corner? Is he a nickel? Is he a safety? Is he a star? Whatever the case may be, we've got to move those people around. Same with Aaron Donald. Is he an end? Is he a D tackle? And we got to keep those guys guessing as much as they keep us guessing, be able to keep these guys in front of us, tackle them to get them on the ground. And we got to wait for somebody to make a mistake and on their bad play.”

Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell
(On his reaction adding WR Odell Beckham Jr. to the offense)
“I was obviously pleasantly surprised. But I've always been a huge fan of his. (I) played in the division against him for a few years and watched him do a lot of really special things. From afar, we haven't crossed over with them since I've been here, but you're always seeing their tape and seeing the stuff he's putting on tape, winning, and his ability to separate, and lead catchability, contested catchability. At this point in the year, we feel really good about (WR) Van (Jefferson), and (WR) Cooper (Kupp), and (WR) Robert (Woods), but at the same time to add a player like (WR) Odell (Beckham Jr.) was for me specifically, I was excited about it.”

(On how working him into the offense will be different or similar to Raiders WR DeSean Jackson)
“I think it's a different situation just ‘cause the timing of it and the fact that we are in the middle of the season at least right off the bat. But at the same time, what I think has made that group special this year - even down to some of those young players that we've talked about after those kind of first three - is everybody's kind of carved out their role. We run concepts, so everybody lines up every which way based upon what we think is best versus that defense and it'll really be no different for him. And obviously off the bat, there's a lot to catch him up on and get him up to speed and there's ways we can obviously rely on the guys around him, rely on the quarterback, and rely on having a purposeful plan for him. But, it'll be a process from day one and we're looking forward to getting started with him.”

(On how he continues to expand a plan that includes Beckham Jr. while also complimenting the other receivers)
“It's a combination of all those things. I don't think there's any one answer to it. I know it's a long season and we do play quite a bit of three receiver groupings. That's an understatement. So there's always snaps here and there where the guys just can't play every snap anyway. And that would have been the case whether Odell was here or not. So now we just get to incorporate a really unique talent in maybe some new and different ways, but maybe fitting right in with what we've been doing already.”

(On if he is able to run a lot of the themes and concepts that have been done in the system of Head Coach Sean McVay and if they can be run out of four personnel groupings since McVay said he wanted to mix things up a little)
“It's not a dumb question first of all, it is a good question and you can. Whether that's four receivers and a tight end, and we keep (TE) Tyler (Higbee) on the field or it's four receivers and a running back. Those are two different things to the defense and what they can schematically do against those things when you don't have a back in the backfield versus when you're only having a tight end with those four wide outs. Are they expecting you to be empty? Are they expecting you to only have five-man protections? And you’ve got to have answers for the countermeasures that will come against that when you cannot have like the traditional 11 personnel checks and balanced system for us offensively to handle what people do defensively against that. So, there's also not a lot of clips to watch. There's some teams in our league that are playing more 10 personnel than others and if that happens to be in the breakdown or clips we can go find to study, that's something we'll definitely do. But all those things are on the table. When you add a guy like this, you're going find that the unique and different ways to use, not only him, but continue to add to the skill sets of the guys we already have, who we love.”

(On seeing if there are possible margins to be able to take advantage of down the stretch since there’s not a lot of ten)
“Absolutely. And it goes back to your first question. I think the first thing you do is find out what fits in your base offense. What can we do from a standpoint of just exchanging out a tight end for a fourth receiver? That's a little bit easier than taking the running back off the field and adding a receiver on the field with (TE Tyler Higbee) Higs. And I think the other thing too, is we've got some dynamic guys where maybe we can ask Robert Woods to do some different things, or Cooper Kupp, or even Odell himself. It (the signing of Beckham Jr.) was yesterday. We're finding that out and it'll be a process here as we move forward to this game. But then the rest of the way we'll be constantly trying to do exactly what you said. You're tinkering with things, or you're trying some things out, trying to get out in front of the potential problems that could show up and give your players a plan that they can just go out and play fast and execute.”

(On what kind of advantage it is to have a receiver like Odell that is diverse in his route running)
“Yeah, the first things first as we can go back and see whatever carry over that there may be. And if it's just something as simple as, ‘Hey, we want them to run that exact same route. They called it this, we call it that,’ That's an easy transition for when it's just words and the techniques and fundamentals can stay the same. It's just learning, like any other young player that may come in here. But the big thing is identifying those things. And like you said, there's a lot he can do really well. So, we're hoping that there's a smooth transition and we can really identify some things for him right off the bat. But at the same time, this isn't a short-term thing. This isn't just for one game, one week, two weeks. We'll have some time coming up here as we move forward where we can kind of build, have a package, but continually build on it. And then it's really from there, I think he can take it from there and it'll start being easy for us to try to say, ‘Okay, he can handle more. He can do more. We can move them around.’ And then really our existing group working, where can they go? Where can they move around? Knowing that they've got a lot of reps logged in their own specific spots. So, there's a lot, definitely.”

(On what their challenge is this year facing the San Francisco 49ers)
“Well the first thing, they play really hard. They play really good defense, such a sound scheme. But they’ve got really good players at really all levels of their defense. They're strong. They're physical upfront. They're explosive upfront. One of the best linebackers in the league in (49ers Lcool smiley Fred Warner. And then we've got a lot of respect for them on the back end. I know they're a little banged up right now, but we're expecting a lot of those guys to play and we're preparing accordingly. So it's one of those things where we’ve got to play well, and we got to have a tight plan, and know how we want to attack them. But at the same time, be ready for situationally game plan wise, the things that they do to cause you problems as an offense and have a good plan for that. And then going back to last year - I mean if you looked at especially that second game - the early turnover. I think we fumbled one early and then we had some red zone chances that we let get away from us. So, it's about finishing drives. It's about playing with great ball security and really that's something coming from our last game against the Titans that we're really focusing on. And we know how much that hurts the team and hurts our chances when we have those early turnovers. It's really happened in both of our losses. So, definitely something that we're emphasizing. How aggressive can we be without exposing ourselves to those potential negatives?”

(On if he is surprised that the receivers and some of the players from the team helped to recruit Odell)
“No. I think like everyone out there and like us - a lot of times as coaches - they're very much aware of his ability, and the things he's put on tape as a really dynamic player in the league. So it doesn't surprise me, But, you do start learning and finding out like the relationships guys have - whether it's at training facilities or I know he spent some time out here before, around some of our players. So it doesn't surprise me. And especially with our unique group, we have very, very high goals. So if there's a player out there that we think can help us in some capacity, normally those guys are as excited as anybody to get them here.”

DL Aaron Donald
(On his mood in light of the WR Odell Beckham Jr. signing)
“(I’m) definitely excited. Anytime you add great pieces to the puzzle to add on to what we got, you can be excited about that. Give us more opportunity to do things. So I'm definitely excited to have him.”

(On what it’s like working out with OLB Von Miller)
“It’s been good just seeing him work, us talking to each other, asking him little things as far as like when it comes to rushing and certain things he does, how we can play off each other. So, it’s been good.”

(On if he envisions what they can do once game day comes)
“A hundred percent. One-hundred percent.”

(On what recent acquisitions have told him about the Rams organization)
“We’re trying to win now. That's what it's about. When you see them making moves like this, bringing players and high talent players, like how we bring it in with the talent we got, it’s like sky's the limit. Everything's in front of us to take it and accomplish these things. We still got to go out there and make it happen. But I think we're in a great position with great players, with great coaches to do something special this year. So, we’re trying to win now.”

(On the excitement in the building)
“Yeah. Yeah. Everybody, you get amped up. You’re excited about it. Gives you a little bit more juice. So I know when teams see us, they’re like it's a lot of people you got to prepare for and get ready for it. So it's a headache for a lot, but it's good for us.”

(On if there are guys around the league asking how they can get to Los Angeles)
“Look, it’s L.A. and hot team, good team, good coaches. Who wouldn’t want to be here? So, that's how it works. But, if somebody else wants to come, they can come (laughs). We’re trying to make something happen.”

(On how they deal with becoming a bigger target to other teams with so many stars now)
“Our mindset is the same thing. Obviously, we’re expected to do big things when you bring players in like this, but we’re focused on a goal. We’ve got to do what we got to do. We know we’ve still got to go out there, and compete, and win the games and make it happen. So like I said, it looks real good on paper, but we still got to make these things happen. We still got to go out there and put the production out there. So, you don't let that put too much pressure on you. You just play the game.”

(On what has been the issue with the 49ers the last four times they faced them and what will be different this time around)
“It just got the best of us the last couple of times. It's a new year, a divisional game, two opponents that know each other. So, it’s going to be a dog fight like it always is. So obviously we want to win off. Obviously, they want to win. So we’re going to see.”

(On if there is anything particular to the 49ers that would characterize why the Rams lost)
“It's always back and forth sometimes. It was a couple of years where, a couple of games where we just didn't start off good if things didn't go our way. But anytime you play a divisional opponent, it’s going to be that type of game – a back and forth game, a physical game and that's how we want it.”

(On what it’s like being with a player like CB Jalen Ramsey that can leverage his friendships to bring big players here)
“It’s good. Anytime you can add pieces to the puzzle – definitely guys with a lot of talent that have been productive in this league and add into what we’ve got – you'll be excited about that. So like I said, we got a great opportunity to do some great things.”

(On of he was one of the guys that talked to Beckham Jr. to get him to come to the Rams)
“I (didn’t) talk to him.”

(On if he knows Beckham Jr.)
“Yeah”

(On what about Beckham Jr. that will allow him to fit right in)
“He’s a guy that works. Just honestly, we came out the same year. We trained together a couple of times, but when we came out as rookies. I always heard good things about him. I know he’s got a work ethic. Obviously, he's not expecting nothing. He's going to work and earn everything. So when you’ve got a bunch of guys like that, guys feed off that. Guys want to see that. I know me, personally, I like guys that got work ethic. They’re going to work their (expletive) off or work their butts off to get what they want. So, I'm excited.”

(On if he remembers the Giants taking Beckham Jr. right before him in the 2014 NFL Draft as the 12th pick overall)
“Let’s talk about 12. Yep. Yep. I remember that (laughs).”

(On if he was angry)
“No, I wasn't angry. I wasn't angry. I wasn't angry at all. I was just waiting for my opportunity and at the time St. Louis Rams called me and gave me an opportunity. (I’ve) been with the Rams since.”

(On if he has ever gotten any tackles on Beckham Jr.)
“No, I never got no tackles on him (laughs).”

(On if Beckham Jr. ever cracked him)
“I know we played a lot of ping pong when we trained together. I think I got the best of him in ping pong games. Y'all talk to him, remind him about them ping pong games (inaudible). I got the best of him in Arizona.”

CB Jalen Ramsey
(On his role in getting WR Odell Beckham Jr. to sign with the Rams and about the process of it unfolding) 
“I'm not sure, honestly. I don't know. I want to be teammates with anybody who I feel is good. In certain instances this year – when I've had like personal relationships with the two guys that we've gotten in these past couple of weeks – I just so happened to be talking to him, as we usually do, and figuring out what may be a possibility and kind of throwing it out there a little bit, trying to see if they were rocking with it or not. Just trying to make it all happen, I guess, just trying to speak it into existence and make it happen. So, kind of that's all that happened. And then once it like really, really almost came reality, then I had to close the deal for sure. But like I said, I want to play with all the good guys in the league.”

(On how far back his first relationship with Beckham Jr. goes)
“Probably like my junior year in college or something like that, around that time.”

(On why he felt Beckham Jr. would be a good fit with the Rams)
“Just knowing him personally. He reminds me of like myself, but like offensively. Just his mentality, his will and ambition to be great. And then obviously, he's gifted – like God has gifted him. I know he's a hard worker as well, it's not just that he has the talent, but he has the will to develop it and make it a strong skillset for him. So as a receiver, he can do everything. It reminded me of our receivers that we have here already who can do everything. Knowing him and knowing his ambition to win and want to be the best, usually those type of guys like being surrounded by other guys like that. So yeah, that's kind of where that’s at.”

(On if he’s ever thought of a post-playing career as a general manager)
“Definitely not. That will not be me. I will be hopefully coaching high school football somewhere, winning state championships.”

(On his skills and ability to reach out to people to get them to follow his lead in coming out to play for the Rams)
“Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know. If you don't try, you can't succeed. So, I just try it. I'm still working on other people too. You never know (laughs). I'm trying to get (Chargers S) Derwin (James) in here next (laughs). You never know. So no, I'm just joking, but I'm not.”

(On how OLB Von Miller has been fitting into the defense)
“Good. I think we all know what he's capable of any way, regardless of what we may or may not see on the practice field. But when I do see him out on the practice field, I see him doing extra. I see him hustling. Whenever his time comes, he'll take advantage of it. We're not worried about that.”

(On Miller taking some extra time to have conversations with people)
“I definitely have. I’ve seen that from him out here and especially like in the building when y'all can’t see. Some things y’all can't see in meeting rooms and just around the locker room and whatever. He's definitely doing that. And we have a pretty welcoming culture here anyway. So, I feel like it's easy for everybody to vibe.”

(On how coming into the Rams culture as a star help bring out the best in him)
“First of all, I didn't look at it that way. I don't view myself as a star. I just view myself as just another piece of the puzzle. I view everybody else in the same way. Everybody's a piece to the puzzle that we want to be and it's not really bigger than that to me, honestly. I try to put things in perspective – like my daughters, they don't care that I am a football player. They care that I’m daddy. I like to put things in that perspective. I’m not bigger than the team or I’m not bigger than the world. I guess just that having that mindset, one, and then culture here is super welcoming, even before I got here, everybody was welcoming. And we all got jobs to do at the end of the day. We got roles to do. And I think everybody respects the guys who come in here and try to do that role at the highest level that they can and be elite.”

(On if the team can stay healthy, how does he like the chances of them making it to a Super Bowl)
“I would bet on us if I were a betting man. That’s the confidence I have in the guys. Even if we do have an injury or two down the stretch, which Lord forbid, but even if we do, I'll still give you the same answer because I'm just confident in what we can do around here. And I'm confident in our vibe and especially my teammates, but the coaches as well.”

(On playing a team like the 49ers who have players that can play different roles and play for a team that match that)
“It can be difficult at times, but it's fun. It's challenging and that's what you love about the game. That's what you love about these types of games is that type of challenge, especially in a division game. So, very excited for what's to come on Monday night. We’re getting ready and taking the steps that we got to take to hopefully do our thing out there and come away with a victory.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky242November 12, 2021 05:47PM