Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay - November 8, 2021

November 08, 2021 03:55PM

Head Coach Sean McVay
Head Coach Sean McVay
(On any updates with WR Jacob Harris and if there were any other injuries sustained during the game)
“Just your typical bumps and bruises for guys. Unfortunately for (WR) Jacob (Harris), he got his ACL and his MCL (torn). So, he'll go through some prehab and then we'll eventually schedule surgery. But he will miss the rest of the year and kind of unfortunate on that freak accident. (A) bummer for Jacob.”

(On how is QB Matthew Stafford doing after rolling his ankle)
“He's good. We’ll take it a day at a time with him. It was a mild kind of ankle sprain that you guys saw, but he came back in and competed well. He was sore today, but (we) expect him to be able to kind of take it a day at a time. But I think he'll be good to go.”

(On if the Titans defense was applying a pressure on Stafford that other defenses hadn’t presented)
“No, it wasn't anything like that. You give them credit. They did a good job. Some of the earlier ones were some longer developing plays where we kind of just held it a little click longer and I called some plays that probably took too long to develop. And then there were some other times where you see (Titans DT Jeffrey) Simmons do a nice job of winning some isolated match-ups. They had some three-man movements internally, but wasn't anything different than what we had seen up to this point this year. You give them credit for the execution. I do think, kind of like I had mentioned after the game, I think some of the play selections and just some of the spots I put our guys in, you expect to be better for them.”

(On his team’s ability to bounce back after tough losses and how that’s led to success)
“I think, number one, it's about the players. I think we've got the right guys that have the mental toughness and the resilience to be able to channel the frustration in the right direction. We can't do anything about the frustration that occurred last night. Let's channel it in the right direction and use it as a positive way to attack our preparation while not being naive to some of the things that we need to fix and that I can do a better job of, or that we collectively can do a better job as coaches. But I think it boils down to the players. The mental toughness and the ability to be able to move on and not dwell on the past.”

(On how the decision-making process changes around high concepts when the quarterback is facing a lot of pressure up front)
“I think, again, it goes back to kind of isolated plays in particular. There was a handful of them where if you're going to play with a lot of deep presences, deep-to-short, you want to distribute the field in a manner that sometimes you might be able to hit some underneath completions where the catch-and-run ends up getting those explosives as opposed to always feeling like they've got to be those in the air – kind of those deeper yardage completed in the air. So it was a handful of different things. You look at the pressure they were able to create. Some of them were on some normal down-and-distances. Some of them were on some third down where they're moving and twisting and doing some nice things to get us off different edges. Every single play is kind of a little bit different answer, but I think the biggest thing is, making sure that we're distributing the field in a manner that's reflective of being able to find completions, guys are efficient running after the catch and then we're playing within the timing and rhythm of it. A big part of it is some of the play selections and having a feel for the flow of the game. That’s a thing that you want to try to take some pride in, as a coach, is just understanding the landscape of not exclusive to how the offense is going, but also how is the defense, how is the special teams playing and what is it going to take for us to be able to win this football game and not leaving ourselves susceptible to some of the mistakes that occurred that I think we kind of – they made those plays, but I did think we didn't help ourselves – made it easier on them in that regard.”

(On where he feels like he didn’t adjust but needed to after he watched the tape)
“The one call that stands out, I think the fourth-and-one when we were down 21-9 on a kind of similar play that we had run. We had (WR) Van (Jefferson) on a low crawl on a crossing route earlier on. Anticipated what the defense was. To their credit, they did a nice job, (Titans OLB Bud) Dupree did a nice job kind of reading out of it and enforcing (Qcool smiley Matthew (Stafford) to kind of get off of his spot and throw the ball earlier. But I thought there was a lot of better plays that I could have selected there. And then it's not even necessarily the play selection as much as kind of just the ways that you can help communicate the intent of it. Just being able to say, ‘Alright, we don't have to get everything back right here. We can patiently take completions and still get it in chunks. And if we're able to score in an efficient manner, it doesn't exclusively have to come through a 30- or a 40-yard gain. You can take 10 at a time or six and five.’ I think I just got a little bit impatient. And then like anything else, I think the execution and the standards that we have, and that our guys have offensively, and the confidence I have in those players, there were some instances where they could play better as well.”

(On choosing between being assertive or patient when it comes to reacting to defense)
“I think it's a good balance, absolutely. I think yesterday's game is a good reflection of that. I think overall, when you look at it in its totality throughout the course of the season, there's been a lot of instances where people are playing a deep to short type of thing. But there's still some different ways that you can try to manipulate coverage contours and get over the top. You've heard me say this before, ‘shot called doesn't necessarily mean shot taken.’ And I think it's the balance of wanting to be efficient, but also explosive and also knowing that the more times that you snap it, the more difficult it is to sustain drives and avoid the negatives and the different things. And that's what's really good. That's what the good defenses do, they make you snap it one more time. Credit to those guys. They did a nice job yesterday and it will be a good one for us to be able to learn from, look inward, and then try to make the necessary adjustments so that you're not having to make the same mistakes twice.”

(On how the schedule will change considering the Monday night game)
“We'll have our players day off tomorrow, which is kind of the standard approach. And then on Wednesday, we'll bring them in, do some meetings and a lift and then kind of get those guys out of there. And then Thursday, Friday and Saturday, we'll kind of represent what is a Wednesday, Thursday, Friday in a normal week for us. So, we'll kind of just use…basically the easiest way to describe it is Wednesday will kind of be a bonus day where we'll lift them and get some extra meetings in and an early intro to the game plan.”

(On Stafford’s ankle and what that means for his participation in practice)
“I think we're hopeful that he'll be able to practice this week. At what capacity? I can't answer that quite yet, but I'm hopeful that it's not something like last week where you're kind of basically not waiting until Friday to get going.”

(On how they will assess OLB Von Miller and if he is optimistic that he’s going to play against the 49ers)
“I think kind of similar to last night, it's kind of one day at a time. He’s doing a great job of attacking his rehab and his treatment with (Vice President of Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) and his group. I know he's really tough and I know he wants to get out on the field. I think it is partly my responsibility and our job to make sure that when we decide on that, it's when he's feeling good and he's feeling like the Von Miller that we've all grown accustomed to seeing play with the speed and the explosion in the twitch that makes him such a special and unique player. So, if he's able to go this week, that's definitely a positive for us. I think we’ll be careful, but I also think he's earned the right to be able to communicate that to us, but you're not naive to the fact that the Bye is after that as well, and so we want to make sure we don't put him at harm's risk for setting himself back. And those are questions that I kind of asked Reggie and his group and defer to them on helping give me that clarity. And then we'll ultimately, we'll make a decision collectively with Von and myself.”

(On if he has any concern on depth after losing former WR Desean Jackson and WR Jacob Harris)
“I feel good about those guys. It’s a bummer, I hate that for Jacob. And you were hoping to kind of getting him a little bit more involved. What that means as far as maybe we start mixing in some different personnel groupings-- and (TE) Kendall Blanton's played some snaps as of late, maybe you get into some different stuff like that. Those are all things that we'll explore, but I do feel good about those top five, like you mentioned.”

(On if there is any interest in trying different things in the second half of the season)
“There is. You're always looking at that. I think you do want to be mindful of just the workload that that takes on those guys when they're playing as many snaps. There's pros and cons to both, and so we will look at that. I do think that mixing in some different personnel groupings from time to time certainly doesn't hurt, even if you are a majority 11 personnel outfit.”

(On the status of RB Darrell Henderson Jr. and what happened with him during the game)
“He's good. He tweaked his ankle a little bit. In those running backs, it's such a physical game. I kind of didn't even really realize it until there was a point in maybe even the second half, I can't remember particularly when it was or specifically when it was, but I noticed it. He got his ankle dinged up and I think he's going to come back. And then the next thing you know, he was able to finish the game. I know he was sore today, but not anything that would pop up on the injury report that I expect to affect his practice status this week.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky264November 08, 2021 03:55PM