Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dangerous Pressures this Week

November 05, 2021 08:21AM
This will be a tough game. Anything less than focused, intense execution will compromise the game. Quite possibly lose it.

1st, we face a team whose identity is based on toughness and which has lost its core superstar, the foundation of its identity. Losing D H weakens them. There is no doubt about that.

That means that NFL Nation expects a S B contender to take advantage. Certainly, we Ram fans do.

Of course, the danger is that the team does as well and their focus slips a bit. Obviously, coaches and players know this and are preparing for a full effort. But, hey, we all know it happens.

And we also know that wounded teams can be very hard to beat. Consider the difference between DET and HOU. Last week, we faced a team that had quit. Look closely at 2 of our TDs. Kupp runs a short post and the CB stands there making no effort. Henderson slips through a seam at the LOS and a DB stands there, making no effort to fill. That team had quit.

A week earlier, DET fought us on every snap. They didn’t have the talent, but they nearly beat us. We all expected a blowout, but the wounded animal rose up and defied us. A focused NFL team with intent is a very dangerous opponent, hard to beat.

And that, of course, is the recipe for upsets and near-upsets. A favored team faces pressure that can impair their focus and execution if, as the saying goes, it “lets them hang around.” We have all seen this many, many times.

And in this case, the wounded team is very nearly level with us in talent and momentum, even after losing their workhorse RB. TENN is going to be tough to beat. Their running game will be lessened but it will still be strong, potentially lethal, especially against a team with a suspect run defense. Think of all the times over the years when we have let a lesser replacement for a star whup our behinds. I figure TENN’s running game will operate at 80% at least.

80%, that is, unless we break out to a lead. That’s certainly possible. Virtually expected … another source of pressure. Our offense has been damn good. But after 3 weeks of sub-normal opposition, we’ll be facing a really good team again. Their defense is uneven, all but suspect. But they have played well at times. Execute a bit less optimally and they’ll get some stops that add up and before you know it, that advantage will be gone. Again, the recipe for a mild upset.

So, you have all of that. Then there are the astonishing events of the last week. NFL Nation’s jaw dropped when we acquired Miller. The move is perceived by everyone as a play for the S B.

And it is resented by many. What Snead has done is a direct competitive challenge to the cautious conventions of standard league team management. People don’t know what to make of a move like this, and they really want it to fail. They want this front office Icarus to flame out after flying too close to the sun.

So we not only face a tough, wounded contender after 3 weeks of coasting, but we do this under the harsh lights of the Miller trade. And we do so on Sunday night with all of NFL Nation looking on. If we win and keep winning, OK. The accolades will rain on us.

But if we lose, if the acquisition doesn’t pay off, Lord, the brickbats will be vicious. Trust me … the whole organization knows it. The pressure is a palpable thing.

OK. What shall we expect? All of this pressure is real, but what will it do to us?

At a certain point, truly dominant teams rise above the pressure and take it in stride. It becomes routine and they can play without letting it impair their execution.

On the other hand, teams aspiring to the elite level can be very fragile, vulnerable to the corrosive wear of pressure. It can eat them up.

I think we are somewhere in between. We’ve been contenders for several years. We have, with 1 exception, faced pressure down well all year. We have veteran studs and a tough QB who can execute under play and game pressure. McVay is much more experienced facing pressure than he was.

But we all know the team’s weaknesses. Stopping the run. Getting stops against the passing game. Running the ball. S Ts. (I really hope we now have a competent punt returner!) And McVay losing perspective calling plays, especially in the red zone.

I figure we are NEARLY there as a competitive power that can be trusted to shrug off pressure. But I think we still have some gaps. We’re facing a lot of pressure this week, we must keep pace with AZ—more pressure—and I think we will be less able to master the game than perhaps we should be.

I can see us losing this game. But I think the most likely outcome is a narrow win in which we overcome adversity. Well, we’ll see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2021 08:29AM by RFL.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Dangerous Pressures this Week

RFL450November 05, 2021 08:21AM

Good post RFL

Ramsdude166November 05, 2021 08:31AM

The defense is the wild card

RFL153November 05, 2021 08:38AM

Re: Dangerous Pressures this Week

Killrazor137November 05, 2021 08:34AM

I've got Arizona losing on Sunday vs SF

BigGame81127November 05, 2021 09:28AM

Very well spelled out, RFL...

JamesJM226November 05, 2021 10:16AM

I think Von Miller elevates the entire team Sunday

stlramz141November 05, 2021 11:56AM

Certainly has that feel to it, doesn't it?

JamesJM165November 05, 2021 12:09PM

Re: Certainly has that feel to it, doesn't it?

merlin153November 05, 2021 10:11PM