Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay - November 1, 2021

November 02, 2021 12:45AM

Head Coach Sean McVay
Head Coach Sean McVay
(On how the trade for Broncos OLB Von Miller trade came to be)
“There was a possibility the last few days that there was a willingness on their part to move him. This had kind of been for the last couple of days, the possibility of it. We kind of got our ducks in a row to figure out how to make it happen and then you have to measure if you feel like what they were looking for and what we were looking for was kind of in alignment. I think (Rams General Manager) Les (Snead) and (Denver Broncos General Manager) George Paton did an outstanding job working collectively to be able to get something done of this magnitude, but also keep it quiet. I think it's a real credit to both ends of it. I think he brings an element – obviously an incredibly unique football player that not only is a great pass rusher, but he's a complete football player that can really affect and influence an offense in a negative way on all three downs. You can utilize him in a variety of different ways. I think when you look at he and (OLcool smiley Leonard Floyd on the outside, obviously (DL) Aaron (Donald) inside, the continued maturation of (DL) Sebastian Joseph-Day. (I) thought (DL) Greg Gaines was really good yesterday. (I) thought (DL) A’Shawn Robinson's playing better. So, you look at what it takes to be successful defensively and it's about affecting and influencing the quarterback and this guy does it as well as anybody over the course of his career. We felt like it was a really good thing for our team. I know a lot of players are excited about being able to add (OLcool smiley Von (Miller) to the mix and can't wait to get him here and get going.”

(On him previously saying not to expect ant splash moves but never say never)
“And that's exactly right because at the time that was the truth – exactly what I told you. ‘Never say never,’ things change. Here's what I'll tell you that I've learned over these last five years, I'm always honest with you guys in the moment about how I'm feeling, but things inevitably always change. And so that's why you want to say, ‘Never say never.’ If you had told me when you asked me that question a couple of weeks ago, if I thought there was a chance of acquiring Von Miller, I would have said, ‘Are you kidding me? Hell no.’ Right? And then when it becomes a reality, you say, ‘Well, let's look into it.’ And one of the things that I think is good about the approach, and it might not be for everybody, is if we feel like it upgrades our football team, we've got an owner that is willing to do that. (I) couldn't be more grateful for (Owner) Mr. (E. Stanley) Kroenke and then Les and I and (Chief Operating Officer) Kevin (Demoff) and (Vice President of Football & Business Administration) Tony (Pastoors) feel really strongly about if it fits. There's been some agility on our front office’s end to be able to figure out how to make some of these things work, but everything we do is what we think is in the best interest of this football team. And there's still a long-term vision in mind as well, but very excited about adding Von.”

(On if there are any updates on WR DeSean Jackson seeking trade)
“As of right now, no. There's no updates on that. Then as far as the injuries, just because I know probably somebody will ask about this, couple of guys. (WR) TuTu (Atwell) got his shoulder pretty good. He's going to need surgery. We're going to put him on IR. (ILcool smiley Travin Howard got his hamstring pretty good. We'll also put him on IR, but we expect them to return at some point. TuTu’s going to be done for the year. Those are the guys that are immediately affected by their injuries from yesterday. I do expect to get (OL Andrew) Whitworth and Sebastian Joseph-Day back this week. We'll take it a day at a time, but the goal and the anticipation is that they will be able to play against the Titans. And then also we'll start that 21-day clock on (S) Darious Williams, being able to get him back and whether he goes or not, I think is going to be a reflection of how he's feeling and how he responds to the week of preparation and practice.”

(On if he has any concerns from the Texans scoring 22 points after the Rams being up 38-0 and rotating in the second-string players and if he’s looking to have another quarterback other than QB John Wolford playing in those situations)
“No. (Qcool smiley John Wolford is a guy of tremendous confidence. I think he's been in some really tough situations. You look at yesterday and the New York game, I think it's really hard for a quarterback to get into the flow of the game. Really when you look at that yesterday, those are champagne problems to be up 38-0. And basically what you're doing is, very seldomly do you have the opportunity to almost put in all your reserves that you can really get in there based on the 48 that you have up. So, I have all the confidence in the world in John Wolford as our backup quarterback. (I) think he's proven that in real situations and do I expect him to do a little bit better with some of those things? Yes, but I also think I can help put him in some better situations and so that's not a concern. I want to see us play good ball. There was a couple of loose plays that we gave up and we were very regulated offensively, which I didn't really give us much of a chance to do anything, but you'd like to see guys perform better. But I also think you want to take the circumstances and the situation with a grain of salt. And also, I wanted to make sure that 16-and-half point spread and held up. That's a joke. I'm kidding.”

(On if he sees LB Justin Hollins playing inside linebacker when he comes back)
“I think when you look at the versatility that (Lcool smiley Justin (Hollins) provides. I think he really established himself as a legitimate outside backer. But his versatility was one of the things that was so enticing that (former Defensive Coordinator) Brandon (Staley) had a really good feel for when we put in a claim for him last year and I thought he only built on his role. And so now you're saying right, (OLcool smiley Leonard (Floyd), Von, you bring Hollins back into the mix, there's a lot of excitement with some things that you can draw up in ways that you can utilize ways to get our best 11 football players on the field, specifically defensively. When he does come back, whenever that is at some point this season, we'll definitely be able to find some creative ways to utilize his skillset in addition to those other guys that'll be out there with him.”

(On how his philosophy has evolved and advanced in terms of his defensive gravitating towards getting players that exploit the mathematical advantages on offense and what will OLB Von Miller lend to that philosophy)
“It’s a really good question. I think it's all about you're playing 11-on-11, but how many different ways can you change the matchups or find matchups that are favorable changing that math and then finding some of those ISOs? Sometimes it might be getting guys 1-on-1, sometimes it might be, ‘Okay, you've got a (Ccool smiley Jalen Ramsey that you feel so good about, so now you can tilt coverage and change the math that way and isolate him in certain coverage contours that we're playing.’ Any way that you can do that is exactly what we're looking to isolate. You look at it defensively, we're activating a variety of personnel groups. We're finding different ways to attack protections. I think when you're specifically talking about adding guys that can apply pressure to the quarterback, it's looking at, ‘Alright, how do they want to protect? How are the ways that we can create those matchups, put them in conflict?’ Sometimes it might be changing the math as well. You see a big influence of some of these simulated fire zones. It might be finding a way to use the back rushing four. Now you're playing 7-on-4 on the back end by canceling out the back, but you're still playing loaded zone behind it. So there's a variety of things, but anytime that you have to account four players, usually you want to commit with those edge players. Usually, you see a lot of teams – it's not necessarily you might slide to guys, but you're going to get that nudge presence form. Well, now when you do that, you eliminate that player's ability to really go vertical on the timing and rhythm that you want. So, how does that affect the way that you want to be able to change the math on the back end? He can do so many different things. I know I'm kind of all over the place, but it's matchups, it's being able to get him isolated. I could tell you another guy that's really excited about this is Aaron Donald because what does he know is that when you have other great players like Von, like Leonard Floyd, these other guys that are starting to assert themselves as legitimate players, it's going to allow him to be able to get some of those matchups and take a little bit of stress off of him when everybody's looking at him. I think that'll still be the case, but at some point, you're still playing 11-on-11 and we feel really good about some of those things. Again, we haven't played a single snap with him yet either. So, we want to be able to see him come in, expect him to contribute and play a role. What that looks like against the Titans will be evolving, but you do feel good about the comfort. There's a lot of similar verbiage and vernacular just with him being in (Broncos Head Coach) Vic’s (Fangio) system. We’ve kept a lot of the same verbiage that Brandon had. There'll be a couple little things that'll be new, but, ‘Hey, this is what we call it, this is what you called it.’ I know he's a really smart, instinctual player and I anticipate him being a really quick study.”

(On some of the creative things the Rams’ front office did to make the Miller deal)
“They’ve done a great job. I think you look at Tony and his ability to be able to figure out creative ways to make it work. (It’s) such a credit to him. Kevin is obviously excellent in that arena as well. And then I think there's a willingness and a relationship that Les has a vision. You talk about ‘we don't value picks.’ That's not true at all. We do value picks, but there is a formula to a lot of the things that we're doing behind the scenes. That there's a vision in place. We feel like it fits for us and it might not be for everybody, but I think it's been a real credit to those guys to have the agility and the flexibility to figure out creative avenues of being able to onboard a player of Von Miller's caliber and saying, ‘Okay, we'll give you these picks. You take a certain portion of the salary.’ There’s a lot of nuances to it, most of which are way above my head, but, hey, let's go.”

(On what it’s like working with General Manager Les Snead)
“It's been great. I think the longer that I work with Les, the better our relationship has gotten. I think we see the game through a very similar lens. We're very similar philosophically. I think that's why it's been such a good partnership. And then I think there's an element of trust. That's the most important thing. He trusts me. I trust him. I can't think of really any time that we haven't been in alignment on a decision that we're making, but now it's figuring out those avenues. ‘Okay, how does this fit? What does this really mean in the long-term for what we have to do or who it might affect and influence down the line?’ But, I think it's great. I love the fearlessness. I love the aggressiveness. I think that approach and that philosophy has kind of been ongoing and evolving. Really, (I’m) very lucky to work with Les. We have a great relationship, great partnership and (I’m) very grateful for him.”

(On how it feels to just have to focus on football and not have to worry about the other stuff because Snead has it all under control)
“It’s great. There’s always a dialogue – that's part of his job and that's still part of my job. You want to focus on football, but having a feel for the roster and the landscape of the league in particular is still, I think, a really important part of my job. In order to be able to feel like these are decisions that we want to be able to make, I still think you have to have an understanding of what you're doing, why you're doing it and what are the consequences of when we do it, or if we don't do it, and being able to work through all those avenues. I do just focus on football, but there's still a lot of dialogue that goes on behind the scenes. Our rapport and our relationship, I think, is instrumental for things to be able to flow smoothly. Everybody’s like, ‘This puts pressure on you, stuff like that.’ Every single week in the NFL is pressure. So, anybody that says those types of things, this doesn't change. We’re trying to do what we think is the best way to try to go win football games, be competitive week in and week out. We’re not afraid of whatever those consequences are because we're going to go attack the opportunity to be successful. And that's the approach. And that's the mindset that I think we have as an organization, as a team and in our building.”

(On reports that Miller had some slight ankle issues and if he expects him to play against the Titans on Sunday)
“I do. We were aware. I know we've kind of connected on some of those things. There was a possible chance that he was going to play yesterday. If this thing continues to progress the way that we expect, there is the hope and the expectation that he plays against the Titans. We'll get him in tomorrow for a physical, but we were aware of those things and it was something that we felt comfortable making the trade, even though you are aware of that ankle injury.”

(On if he sees LB Von Miller playing right away)
“I think a lot of it is going to be predicated on coming in, how is he feeling? I think that there's going to be a lot of things that'll be quick studies for him, but I think a lot of that is predicated on what's the game plan? How many different personnel groupings based on the different situations and circumstances? And so, very similar to when we acquired (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) a couple of years ago, never did I expect him to play as many snaps as he did against the Falcons. And so, we'll have a plan, but a lot of that, I think when you're talking about a veteran player of Von’s magnitude, you want to make sure that you're inclusive with them, get a feel for how he's feeling, where's that comfort level at, and figuring out what that sweet spot is as the week kind of unfolds. Probably have a better feel for that as we get closer to the game.”

(On if he recalls what his initial reaction was when the Von Miller trade was brought to him)
“Yeah, you got to be (explicit) me (laughter). I'm like no way. And then you start to really unpack it and understand the ramifications and what's it going to take and what does that look like? What does that potentially do and how we envision him fitting into our football team. (It) became more and more of a reality really over the last week. Again, can't say enough about just a great job by (Broncos General Manager) George Paton and by (General Manager) Les (Snead) to be able to kind of work through those nuances and to be able to kind of wrap it up and finalize it today. It was good, but really these last couple of days is when the dialogue kind of started. And again, similar to what (was asked earlier), my focus was solely on the Texans, but then you kind of know that this is a possible thing in the background. Having that trust in Les, but still being involved and inclusive in how it's kind of unfolding is really helpful--and that's why I think we work well together. But I was very surprised that this was a possibility, and I was glad we were able to get it done.”

(On if he has been in contact with Von Miller today)
“I have, yes. I spoke with him earlier this morning.”

(On what his conversation with Miller was like today)
“I've gotten to know Von just through crossovers and he's a great guy. Really, he's got great energy. He's got a great way about himself. Obviously, I have tremendous respect for his game and watching him over the years. And so, just told him how excited I am to be able to get him here and get to work. I know he was processing a lot of things in a short period of time. I spoke with him probably right after he had got done speaking with Denver. He's a legend. He’ll be a hall of fame type of player, he'll be a ring of fame type of guy for the Broncos, Super Bowl MVP. So, there's a lot to unpack there, but we're certainly excited to get him rolling and get him going with the Rams.”

(On if he’s concerned about depth considering WR TuTu Atwell being on injured reserve and the WR DeSean Jackson situation)
“We're working through that right now. There's some different avenues, whether it's guys out there or practice squad. And that's kind of something that, Les and I, we're kind of working through. This is kind of consistent standard operating procedures based on injuries every single week, and so it is something that you want to be mindful of. But I'll tell you what, I was really pleased with some of the younger guys coming in and doing a nice job. I thought (WR) Ben Skowronek really came in and handled a couple targets really well. You could see he's got a good understanding of what's going on. It was good to get (TE) Jacob Harris involved. Really pleased with (WR) Van's (Jefferson) production and continued maturation, and we obviously know from that position that (WR) Cooper (Kupp) and (WR) Robert (Woods) have been doing it at a really high level for a long time for the Rams.”

(On if the Rams and Broncos were discussing Von Miller at the time of the Kenny Young trade)
“I can't remember this. It's the last couple of days is when this thing kind of started unfold. Here's the thing I would say, Kenny did a great job for us. There was a possibility that that financial flexibility that moving on from Kenny or trading Kenny to the Broncos freed us up, and it wasn't exclusively with the Von Miller trade in mind, but it was really to be able to alleviate some different things. And something as simple as being able to flex guys up from your practice squad on a weekly basis and then you do have a little bit more freedom of if an opportunity like this does present itself, it gives you the chance to be a little bit more aggressive. So that was kind of how these last couple of days, but it's been a very busy last couple of days, but there was a lot of things in mind with the Kenny thing, very difficult situation. I was pleased to see that he did a really good job for those guys yesterday. And then for our team, I was really pleased with (Lcool smiley Ernest Jones stepping up and delivering a big way.”

(On if Von Miller brings the same things as he did during his Super Bowl MVP peak or if he is a different player now)
“He’s still a great player that can really affect and influence the game in a variety of ways, like I was talking about. Obviously, he got banged up in that Thursday night game and then missed yesterday, but his production early on, his ability to be able to get after the quarterback specifically in those first few weeks of the season was definitely on display and want to continue to try to do a good job as a team of earning our defense opportunities to really get after the quarterback. And most of those are presented by being efficient on early downs, but also with the offense scoring and getting the lead and trying to make teams one dimensional because they're having to play from behind.”

(On if there is a mental and emotional element that they have to look at considering Von Miller was very emotional leaving today and if he’ll be ready to play on Sunday)
“I think the biggest thing is getting to know him, really communicating with him, understanding exactly how he's feeling about things and listening to them. And I think when you've got players that have this type of experience, you trust those guys, you lean on them. I think one of the best things about this team in particular is we've got really strong leaders that you can truly lean on where it really is about coaches and players working in unison, making sure that they have some ownership and autonomy with how we operate and I totally expect and anticipate that to be the case with Von. Getting some insight into exactly how he's feeling once you're able to be physically present with him, then kind of just unpack it a day at a time.”

(On when his initial reaction took place and how hard it was to keep this secret)
“Yeah, it was a couple of days ago. It was in within the last few days where it became a possibility. The one thing that I would say to you guys, and I'm sure you're aware of, but I've definitely been really made aware of it over these last few years, is conversations and things of this nature take place all the time, especially because you're always really exploring avenues to try to be the best, most competitive football team that you can be. So, you're always taking things for what they are, but also understanding that, hey, things like this come up and then it can be like, okay, nothing really ends up unfolding as a result of some of the dialogue that goes on behind the scenes. This was one of those that you always want to be measured with your expectations of, ‘okay wow this is a real possibility’. And then as it gets closer and you start to really work through the specifics of how it really gets done, I think you realize that, okay, this is real and you get a little bit more excited about the possibility of it. And then when it actually happens, now it's like, okay, let's continue to make sure that we do everything in our power to make this a good decision and put Von in a good circumstance and situation with the team that we do have.”

(On how challenging it is to onboard a player mid-season and how past experiences help)
“There's no doubt. I think it does help because we've been in these situations and scenarios. There's definitely a thought process behind the fact that alright, there's a lot of similarities philosophically with how we want to operate, how we envision utilizing him and how we see him fitting in. So, because of that experience, whether you look at doing that with a (Lcool smiley Dante Fowler (Jr.), doing that with (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) a couple of years ago, those have been things that have worked out well for us. It's a huge reflection of these players being able to handle it too. Everything I know about Von and we've got people in our building, (Assistant Linebackers Coach) Thad Bogardus who's working most closely, he's coaching the outside linebackers. He was with Von when they won that Super Bowl. (Special Teams Coach) Joe De Camillus was with Von when they won that Super Bowl. And so, you've got a lot of guys that have really spent a lot of time with Von, speak the world of him. But you also trust that he's a really smart, instinctual, intellectual football player that you anticipate it being a quick study. And so those do make you feel more comfortable with making moves like this after eight games in the season.”

(On how gratifying is it as a coach to know your front office is willing to take a big swing)
“Yeah, I think it's great. You're not fearing failure. You're not afraid because when you do stuff like that, well, that's followed by expectations. But we have expectations in house. We try to be inside out, like I've talked about. But I think it's a real credit to those guys. I think it's a real credit to (Owner) Mr. (Stanley) Kroenke for being able to allow us to make these moves and that makes you feel good. And that makes you want to work that much harder to try to just make these decisions right. And certainly, I'll be the first to tell you guys I haven't always been right on some of the things that we've done, but you try to be more right than you are wrong. And usually when you have good players like we're acquiring, you just get the hell out of their way.”

(On what lead them to focus on acquiring an OLcool smiley
“It is a credit to (General Manager) Les (Snead) and his group. You're always kind of just feeling out the landscape of the league and what are the different avenues of upgrading your team. And certainly, that position where you're talking about really that front, whether it's interior or on the edge, has the ability to influence and affect the quarterback. And as a result of when you apply pressure to the quarterback, all of a sudden you become better on the second and the third levels. And so, because of the way that that position in particular, in a player of Von’s caliber, can help raise the level of play or alleviate, you can move the hard downs a little bit around. That was what was enticing about it. I also think it's awesome that we've been able to establish some depth opposite (Lcool smiley Leonard Floyd. You've seen (Lcool smiley Terrell Lewis play a significant amount of snaps, (LB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo) Obo has done some good things. We all know what a great job (Lcool smiley Justin Hollins did before he goes out with that Peck injury. And so, to be able to have this many good players that you feel like have played beneficial, meaningful snaps, it's a real exciting thing for our coaches and our defensive staff in particular, to figure out ways to try to make it difficult on offenses on a weekly basis. And that was kind of the thought process and why we felt good about trying to add Von.”

(On how RB Derrick Henry being out for the season and the subsequent signing of RB Adrian Peterson will affect this week’s matchup)

“First of all, like I've said on multiple occasions, I hate that because he's a great football player. He's a dominant player. I love watching the way this guy has competed and really done so many special things for that offense over the last handful of years, and really from his career, even dating back to when he's winning the Heisman at Alabama. And so, I hate that part of our game. Anytime as a competitor you want to be able to go against the best and he's been by far the best running back. You just look at the production and the next leading rusher in the league is not even at 600 yards, this guy's almost at a thousand. So, I feel bad about that. I hate that. Obviously (RB Adrian Peterson) AP is a guy that's established himself, one of the premier all-time backs in this league. They're a very physical outfit upfront. (OL) Roger Saffold has been balling for them since they signed him in free agency. I think (WR) AJ brown is one of the best receivers that people don't know about. I love this guy's game. He's physical. He's tough. He's as good as anybody after the catch. (QB Ryan) Tannehill does a great job of executing their offensive system, that dates back to what (Offensive Coordinator) Arthur (Smith) has done the last couple of years. And then I think (Offensive Coordinator) Todd Downing's done a really nice job kind of picking up where they left off with how good and how prolific they've been offensively. As far as how it affects the way that the game is unfolding? I'm not really sure. We got to really figure that out. We got to look into it. I still think they'll probably keep a similar identity, but Derek Henry, he's one of one the way that he's played these last handful of years. And so, as you guys know, once I finish up with you guys kind of represents where we really start to dive into that preparation, but I hate that as a competitor. And I feel sorry for Derek and hopefully that he has a good surgery and has a fast recovery.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky230November 02, 2021 12:45AM