Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay - October 29, 2021

October 29, 2021 02:47PM

Head Coach Sean McVay
Head Coach Sean McVay
(Opening Statement)
“First of all, I'm sure the first question will be about (WR) DeSean (Jackson). We had a good conversation this morning. We're working through some things with him. We are allowing him to be able to look into some options for himself and because of that, he won't play this weekend.”

(On why WR DeSean Jackson is wanting a trade)
“I just want to keep those things in house. We've kind of talked about it, but I think really what it boils down to is opportunities that I think he's deserving of and the situation and some of the circumstances that surround it. That’s really all I'm going to talk about with regards to DeSean.”

(On the Rams signing Jackson for a specific reason, his deep-threat game, and what has led to this situation that Jackson wants to be traded)
“Like I said, I'm not going to go into it anymore. I'll have more information following up. But as of right now, that's all I'm going to say on DeSean. So, that's all I'm going to say on DeSean.”

(On Jackson being a high-profile player and if this is another attempt to clear salary cap space)
“Like I said, we'll revisit this conversation when I have more information to be able to give you. As of right now, I don't have anything to add on that.”

(On if this situation leaves a whole in the offense)
“No, I don't think so. No. I think he's a tremendous player that has a great track record and resume. I think that all the circumstances surrounding that, that want to be able to be open-minded. This hasn't exactly been probably what he envisioned. I think he deserves an opportunity to be able to see if there's better options out there for him. And that's where we're at and that's where I'll leave it.”

(On if Jackson is still welcomed back to the Rams if there aren’t better options out there for him)
“I'll have more information on that moving forward.”

(On if this was a mutual decision or if Jackson came to him with this request)
“Again, there's always ongoing discussions that that take place so it's hard to say.”

(On if he’s confident that WR TuTu Atwell can step in and fill Jackson’s role with his skillset)
“I think we'll see. He hasn't done anything. DeSean is a potential Hall of Fame player that's got a resume that speaks for himself. When you look at it, (we) feel really good about the guys that have played a lot of snaps for us. You look at (WR) Cooper (Kupp), you look at (WR) Robert (Woods), I think (WR) Van (Jefferson) is an ascending player, (TE Tyler) Higbee, our (running) backs. Some other guys might be asked to step up. (I) feel good about that and always want to try and make decisions that I think are in the best interest of our team, and also with consideration to our players. This is one of those. And again, what I would say to you guys is, this is all very quickly developing. So, there's stuff that we're recently just kind of working through. And I genuinely do want to be able to let us work through a couple of things over the next couple of days to be able to fully answer your guys' questions. But what I can say is, as it affects our Houston Texans preparation – which is where my focus and concentration is – he will not play in that game.”

(On the trade deadline coming up on Tuesday, if this situation and the former ILB Kenny Young trade frees up space to make a big move)
“This is kind of independent of that.”

(On if his image of the passing game has changed since he went into the season with Jackson being one of the main threats)
“I think it's always ongoing and evolving every single day. I think we're learning about through the seven games that we've had and now we'll get a chance to see it kind of unfold with our eighth game this season. But it is something that you never really know. You always have plans. They don't always work out. What I'm not afraid of doing is trying to address things, move forward, be solution oriented. That's going to always be the case.”

(On injuries and CB Jalen Ramsey missing yesterday’s practice due to illness)
“So with (OL Andrew) Whitworth, he'll be out this week with his knee. We’ll hold him out as well as (DL) Sebastian Joseph-Day with his peck. Both those players will be out. (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) will still not practice today, but I don't anticipate that affecting his game status. He's just still sick. (We) want to make sure that he's as fresh and healthy as possible. (S) Jordan Fuller and (DB Robert) Rochell are going to practice today. We're going to have a little bit better feel for their game status afterwards. Then other than that, everybody else should be good to go.”

(On if Ramsey’s illness is COVID related)
“No, it’s not COVID related”

(On if OL Andrew Whitworth’s knee is anything to be concerned about)
“I'm not. He got a treatment that (we) wanted to be able to be smart about that. We feel like he's responded really well from that treatment, but we knew when he took part in that treatment, that it was probably going to eliminate him from this game. But he's feeling great and looking forward to him most likely returning the following week.”

(On what knee Whitworth injured and how it happened)
“I'm not sure which knee it is. It's just kind of wear and tear. It wasn't anything like a specific injury that occurred.”

(On if Whitworth’s injury was related to last year’s injury)
“No.”

(On if snap count lead to frustration on Jackson’s end)
“No, I think the frustration is he's got a lot of skillsets. He's got a lot of great ability to offer and he just wanted to be able to help a little bit more than what he's been given the opportunities. I think that's really what it boils down to.”

(On WR Cooper Kupp’s production and if McVay tries to balance players going for records in game with protecting their health)
“Yeah, not too frequently. Usually, those things go hand in hand, where our player's success usually means it's best for the team. And I'm always interested in what's best for our football team. With regards to that, I was aware that Matthew had a chance to go over 300 career touchdown passes, but that didn't affect the way we were calling the game. Cause when he's throwing touchdown passes, that means good things for us. So, as far as those things go, you're aware of it but I'm most interested in our team production. And if that ends up coinciding with guys having individual success, then all the better for us.”

(On if he has even been in a final game of a season that had statistical implications for a player and team implications)
“Yeah. My first year it was really difficult because you want to see guys have success. We ended up kind of already clinching our division with a week remaining. And (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley III) was in a potential chance to win the rushing title in 2017. And we thought he pretty much had ensured. Then (Chiefs Rcool smiley Kareem Hunt ended up playing when I didn't think he was going to play for the chiefs. And so Kareem Hunt ended up getting a couple more yards than Todd, and those are the things that are hard because the most important thing for our team was to have Todd healthy and ready to go for the first round of the playoffs. But you also want to see guys achieve some of those individual accolades that are always a good reflection of the team, but that means something to guys and doesn't go lost on me. And I think that's one of the more challenging things to kind of navigate and negotiate through. It's always about the team, but if you can try to help guys accomplish individual success, that's a reflection of the other 10 around them and things of that nature, then that's something that you want to be mindful of. But as far as those things go, it's always about the team first.”

(On if this is the first time he has had a player publicly come out and request a trade)
“Yeah, here's what I would say. I always feel like the best way to make decisions are if you're thinking about it through the other person's perspective. And when you look at this guy, how successful he's been, what an amazing player, all the different things that he has to offer. I don't think it's wrong for him to want to feel like, ‘Hey, I want to be utilized more. I think I've got more to be able to give.’ And if there's another team that's out there, I can understand that. And so we have a long standing relationship. This is not easy for me either, because I would have liked to have done a better job of figuring out ways to get him involved. It hasn't unfolded in the way that you had hoped. And really, I look at myself and there's nobody to blame for that other than me. And so you own that, you move forward. But I do think that in the best interest of the team, allowing him to be able to do that and then see what the moves are afterwards. If we don't find that partner, it means for our football team and I'm always going to do what I think is best.”

(On the balance between him wanting to make sure that he is taking care of a guy who he cares about and balance the things that are working in his offense)
“There's been a lot of explosive (plays). A lot of guys have created explosives. And so those are the things that you weigh and there's a lot of layers to it.”

(On if potentially losing Jackson means they would be losing what they had envisioned for him)
“He's a great player and there are a lot of layers to it.”

(On what it has been like seeing the elevated play of S Nick Scott)
“It's been great. Just watching guys take advantage of more opportunities that have been earned and being able to step in when other guys are banged up. (S) Nick (Scott) is the epitome of that. You originally draft him out of Penn State with the visions of him being special teams player. And all he's really shown is, ‘Hey, I'm a great football player that has the ability to contribute on special teams. When I get my ops on defense, I can be a really productive safety.’ He does an excellent job in the deep part of the field. He's really closed out three games for us if you look at it. Closes out the Indianapolis game making a great tackle on the far sideline, ends up having the interception against Seattle, and then last week the interception (against Detroit). So he's been the closer for us. He's done a great job.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky228October 29, 2021 02:47PM