Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford - October 27, 2021

October 27, 2021 05:36PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford - October 27, 2021

Head Coach Sean McVay, QB Matthew Stafford
Head Coach Sean McVay
(On the biggest difference he has seen in WR Van Jefferson between his rookie year and this year)
“Just the ownership of what we're asking him to do. He's really worked hard. You can see he's a really conscientious player but understanding how to work edges on guys versus bump, aggressively attacking the football, and then really just having an ownership of the system, the things that we're trying to get done, where he fits within the framework of the different concepts. He's getting better and better. He's making a lot of plays that should give them a lot of confidence, and then there's still things that we can continue to just improve on to really be at the upper echelon. But I feel really good about (WR) Van (Jefferson). I think he's making a lot of really good progress.”

(On how it has been going for WR DeSean Jackson and the vertical passing game)
“In a lot of instances, he does dictate where people are aware of him and sometimes, they'll put safety help over the top, because of that vertical threat. So even though sometimes you might not see the individual production, he's opening up some things. He was in on a play action, and it ends up opening up (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.) for a good check down that he ended up converting for a first down. So, I know that he's going to want to get more involved, just like any player would. But he's doing a good job with the things he can control.”

(On if there is any plan to get him on the field more than he has been)
“Yeah, we'll see. Each week kind of is its own entity.”

(On what dictates that each week)
“Game plan. Yeah, that’s what it dictates.”

(On if there is any update on OL Andrew Whitworth’s health)
“Yeah, he's making good progress, just a little bit at a time. I think I'll have further clarity as the week progresses. He's a little sore as you would imagine, but I think he's making good progress.”

(On how he saw OLB Leonard Floyd change coming into the new environment of L.A. after Chicago)
“I can't speak to what went on in Chicago. I just know that since he's been here, he's been a real bright spot for us. That's why we were so adamant about wanting to get an extension done with him. I think he earned the right to be paid, with the way that he played, the leadership, the production, he's brought so much. Just when you look at a relentless competitor snap in and snap out that, ‘Hey, let's just put the tape on. Let's highlight (OLcool smiley Leonard Floyd and watch the way he plays every single snap, both in practice and in the games’. All the things that he brings to the table. He's a mentally tough guy. He kind of keeps to himself, but he's very observant. He's taking everything in. He's extremely smart. The game makes sense to him. I've loved working with Leonard for these last couple of years but can't really speak on the Chicago experience.”

(On if Floyd is viewed as underrated)
“I think he is, but I do think around the league, maybe not from a media perception, but I think the way that he's seen amongst players and coaches in the league. I know he's gotten tremendous respect. That's reflected in all the attention that he got in free agency. There was a lot of teams that were in play for him, and fortunately we were able to get him back.”

(On if he has any defensive concerns heading into Week 8)
“I like how tough they are. I like the way that they just continue to fight, and make people snap it one more time. We've had a couple, really a handful of critical stops in the red area. Whether it's turning the ball over, stopping somebody on fourth down. We've got the ability to really play complete in both phases, both in the run and the pass. I want to see us continue to put it together, but that's no different than all offensively as well. I like how opportunistic we are, and I love the fact that some of our best players are shining their brightest in those most important moments. Which definitely was on display with (DL) Aaron (Donald) and (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) the other night. So, I think there's a lot of good things. I think there's a lot of things that we can build upon, but they're doing a great job through these first seven weeks.”

(On how he has seen Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris evolve since he worked with him in Washington)
“He's always been such a great communicator. He's always had such a great grasp of all 22, everything that's going on. I just think he's continued to get better. You could see he's really worked at his craft. I think, like anything else, he's got such a great way of bringing people together. I think great leaders unite everybody. I think that's one of his strengths, whether it be with the coaches, or with the players, helping them reach their highest potential. And then I also think kind of, like I mentioned last week, he's got a great way of being able to correct people, but he's really correcting the issue and he kind of disarms them and guys are receptive to that coaching. He's very straightforward, very direct, but he does it in a way that guys receive it because they know he cares about them. It's just like Coach (John) Wooden, ‘They don't care how much until they know how much you care.’ (Defensive Coordinator) Raheem (Morris) is really invested in these guys, these coaches. And I think he's just gotten better and better because of the work that he's put in. That emotional intelligence I think is real.”

(On Morris’ knack for describing each person individually and if he ever refers to him as “the little blonde headed guy”)
“Oh yeah! You think he doesn't say that to me? (laughter) He says a lot more colorful words than that to me! We're so close. I think one of the best things about Raheem, he's always going to tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear. We've been friends, we've been close friends for a very long period of time, and so ‘the little blonde guy’ can get irritable every now and then (laughter). That's a nice thing that he says to me (laughter). He's definitely saying that stuff to me, for sure. What a jerk (laughter).”

(On how he would assess where QB Matthew Stafford is at this point and what he’d like to see him do better)
“He's done a lot of things really well. He's playing at a really high level. I think arguably his most complete game was the other night, and he kind of mentioned it. I think his ownership and his accountability that he takes immediately in the midst of a game and things like that, make it so easy to move on. The fourth-down-and-one play that we had, whether it's giving (TE Tyler) Higbee a flat ball or ending up running it, but he immediately comes off. I think it's just the consistency snap in and snap out, but I think he's playing his best football when it counts the most. You look at some of those third down conversions, I thought the one to (WR) Cooper (Kupp) for 50 plus yards at the end of the third quarter and then the one to Higbee. That's all the guys up front protecting, but also him being able to move, manipulate the pocket. He ends up moving the post safety to open up Cooper, does a great job in the high red area of kind of just moving, not really a great play call. I thought Higbee did a great job kind of ensuring the throw, but those are the kinds of things that I think you really see his ability on display and he's playing really great. I think it's just more about each play as its own entity, how consistently can we stack good things together? But, when you look at whether it's (Qcool smiley Matthew (Stafford) or the other best quarterbacks in the league, that position is so difficult. There's inevitably always going to be a couple plays here and there, but you're always striving for that perfection, but I think you always want to be realistic and understanding of how difficult all the different things that you're having to manage. I've been really pleased with him. I think it's more about, ‘Let's talk about within the framework of each play,’ but if you said, ‘What's he doing well?’ I could go on and on about it. There's not many things he's not doing well and that's a real positive. I think that's a big reason why we are where we are right now.”

(On how they went about designing concepts on offense and getting into rhythm and if this is something they have revisited)
“A lot of it is based on the flow of the game. These are all very similar plays or concepts that we've had in before, we're just calling them a lot more. I think a lot of it too, as a result of when we're calling them, the guys are having success doing it. And so, you want to make sure that if that's something that our guys are comfortable with, they feel good about executing it and then the defensive structure enables us to be able to feel like, alright you can attack or do some different things that you want to get done with the intent of the play. But we have had a lot of those shots. I think in a lot of instances too, there's been some opportunities where we're sending guys up, but it might open up some underneath check downs. Matthew's ability to be able to see the field so well, I think our linemen's ability to be able to protect and then our guys being able to separate. (I) think just being more intentional about making sure that you're giving the defense more space to have to cover, especially in the pass game where you're seeing the width and the depth of the field and Matthew definitely opens up all that for us.”

(On how they went about coming up with designs when they don’t sacrifice the width field for the depth field)
“I don't know that we're necessarily looking at depth of the target. I think it's really just being able to keep defenses off balance. If you said, ‘Do we know exactly when we're going to call some of these plays that come up?’ A lot of it is based on sometimes it's a third-down-and-long and you want to make sure you have routes going pass the sticks, but also stuff where it would be a catch convert if you're getting immediately vertical after the catch. But I do think you just want to be able to change it up. It's no different than saying when you want to marry the run in the pass, being able to give the different things that you have off these run actions in the pass game and there's a variety of different things that you can present. But no different than that when we're dropping back and throwing the football, making people defend all angles of the cuts. And then, what are the coverages that we're anticipating? And then how can we try to attack those and put guys in conflict?”

(On if he watchs Ted Lasso)
“I do. If you don’t feel good about yourself after watching Ted Lasso, then you’ve got issues (laughs).”

(On the ILB Kenny Young trade and how they approached that)
“There's always discussions going on. Other than that, really don't have anything to add to it, but we'll take it a day at a time.”

(On if there is any kind of decision on the punt return or if it’s a work in progress)
“It’s been a work in progress. I think Cooper has gone back and done a nice job in some of those safe situations. (I) think similar to (a question asked earlier), you always are trying to find ways of getting (WR) DeSean (Jackson) more involved and if some of those punt return opportunities present themselves. He's so dynamic and he's so unique that that was something that you saw him back the other day. We didn't get any return ops there. But (WR) TuTu (Atwell) is a young player, he's got a lot of room to develop and grow. Those are two guys that have established resumes in this league and that's kind of where we're at with the punt return situation.”

(On if WR TuTu Atwell is where he thought he would be right now or if he would like to see more from him)
“I think it's hard to say because in a lot of instances, we've got some depth at the receiving group. I'd like to be able to get DeSean a little bit more involved, like I've kind of said and picking and choosing those spots. And kind of similar to (an earlier) question, it's based on the game plan, the different things. And then our job is to try to win the football game and there's different ways that we can do that. And when a lot of our guys get involved, that usually is in alignment with winning the game, but sometimes the way it unfolds or the way it plays out, that doesn't always go in alignment. As far as where to TuTu’s at, I'd like to see him have a little bit more increased sense of urgency, but there's a lot of guys that are in front of him that I think are great veteran examples. He's doing some good things. He's working hard in practice. The return opportunities have been limited and then he's really not playing at all at receiver for us. I think you just got to be patient and he's got to just work behind the scenes. And then when he does get his opportunity, whether it's this week, next week, at some point, he's got to be ready to go and I know (Wide Receivers Coach) Eric Yarber does a great job with that room.”

QB Matthew Stafford
(On if anything about the Houston Texans jump out at him)
“Yeah, I think their front is really disruptive. They've got a bunch of guys up there they kind of rotate through that really are just playing with outstanding effort. You see it all across the tape. They played really well against Arizona's front last week. (They) did a nice job. Then the guys on the back end - both those safeties are finding the football, making plays on it. So, we’ve got to make sure we do a good job just controlling the game up front and then being smart where we put the football – that’s on me - when it's in the air.”

(On if he’s a guy that tracks league leaders and if he has done it throughout his career)
“Uh, not really. No. Just try to go out and play each week and play as good as you can.”

(On if he gets any kind of satisfaction out of being in the top five or near the top in many QB stats)
“No, not in that way. More so just in the fact that I feel like I'm trying to make sure I do my job for our team every week, whatever that job is. Some weeks that's go out there and throw it a bunch of times. Other times it's not. But I just want to play well on each play. I don't want to have any wasted plays. I want every play that we run for the defense to feel pressure and for us to execute at a high level. So, I'm trying to do that. If I can do that, I know I'll be doing what I'm supposed to be doing for our team. If we can just continue to do that - play in and play out, stack good plays, and win games - then the rest will happen.”

(On if the amount of pre-step motions done here with the Rams are unique)
“Yeah, in the offenses that I've been a part of, we do more here than I've been a part of. We don't do it just to do it. Everything is done for a reason, which I think is awesome and helps it make sense for not only myself, but all the players on the field.”

(On the reasons why they do pre-snap motion)
“Each week it's different. Sometimes you can get tails on coverages. Sometimes you can get backers to fit certain gaps in the run game. Other times you can distort maybe a coverage scheme. Each week, it's a little bit different. But we're not just out there saying, ‘Hey, you run like your hair's on fire that way. You do it this way and then we'll hand it off.’ It's all for a reason.”

(On if he ever thought some of the things that Head Coach Sean McVay comes up with will be difficult to execute)
“He's fully aware of it. He'll make fun of himself when he's saying, ‘Maybe I had a couple of too many cups of coffee this morning trying to figure this one out.’ But nine times out of 10, it's a home run and a sweet play. So we all trust him. He makes great decisions drawing up stuff, him and all the coaches really. And we go out there and try and execute it.”

(On what makes WR Van Jefferson such a reliable target)
“I think he's done a great job. When he's had his opportunities, he has made the most of them. There's even a few more out there that I feel like we can connect on and really make defenses pay. He's a bigger guy, but he's really sudden, got really good hands, strong hands, has a great feel for running routes. His dad taught him well growing up, you can tell. He’s just continuing to progress and that's what you want. You just want to see a guy with drive and with the right attitude. He just comes in here every single day working his tail off, trying to get better and it's producing on the field.”

(On what needs to happen for the team to improve offensively)
“The more and more we can just focus on every single play being executed the right way. The name of the game on offense is execution. It's 11 guys on the same page acting as one, knowing what the purpose of that play is and trying to go execute that goal. You got to do it with a bunch of physicality which our guys up front have done an outstanding job of all year. Our guys on the perimeter blocking, (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson) running, (Rcool smiley Sony (Michel) running, it's been great. And then we get our opportunities in the pass game just to make sure that we hit them. Each game, you're going to want to come away, 28-28, 40-40, 30-30, whatever it is, it's not always going to happen. But you want to make sure you're applying pressure on the defense, and that's where I think we can continue to grow. Just make sure that the ball doesn't hit the ground a whole lot in the pass game and then we were in the run game we're really efficient and explosive as well.”

(On the dramatic success of the vertical passing game and the changing role of the vertical pass)
“Feel like we threw it down the field some. Had some opportunities, hit (WR) Cooper (Kupp) on a third down for a long one. Hit Cooper on another long one. Took a shot to Van, we didn't hit it. We're still going after it. Defenses are doing a great job of trying to keep it top down on us and make sure we have to go long field. And then if they're doing that, we just try to go out there and exploit the other areas of the field that have a little bit of grass. So, we're just going to aggressively take what the defense gives us. They give us opportunities to go over the top, we're going to take it. If they don't and they want to play it deep to short, then I'm going to do everything I can do to make them pay in the intermediate to underneath areas.”

(On WR DeSean Jackson and the measure of his contribution)
“He's obviously done at a really high level for a long time. He's got great speed, ability to get down the field, track the football. So, when he's in there, defenses definitely pay attention and it's on us to make those reps count when he gets the opportunities.”
-
(On his perception of CB Jalen Ramsey before getting to L.A. and how his perception has evolved)
“I had an appreciation from afar just of how he played, not knowing him as a person. His energy is undeniable out here. He brings it every single day. His passion for the game and really you see all the plays on the ball. The pick from last week, but like his ability to knife in there and make tackles and huge plays. I think of the screen two weeks ago where he just jukes the o-linemen and gets it back down. I remember sitting on the sideline watching the jumbotron on the play going, ‘Oh no.’ There was nobody there for the screen and then all of a sudden he comes out of nowhere and it's a tackle for two, and it could have been 25. So, just his ability to make plays all over the field, both blitzing the quarterback – the hit he had on (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) last week was a big hit. The pick to help us take the lead and win the game. There were a couple of tackles on there in the backfield that were huge plays. I have a huge appreciation for what he's able to do on the field. Not only just lining up outside and covering receivers, but all the roles that we ask him to execute.”

(On if Ramsey is an example of a guy who is very sure and comfortable with who he is)
“I think so. I remember watching him in college and they always just described him as a football player because they lined him up all around the field. He’s continued that in the NFL, which is probably the hardest thing to do. Going from college where you're moving all around and you're the best athlete on the field, and then you come to the pros and you're still the best athlete on the field and then moving on around and making all those plays. Not many people can make that transition. He’s done it seamlessly. It's impressive. What he's doing as a leader on the defense too, him and AD (DL Aaron Donald) just setting the tone every single day. It’s just fun to watch.”

(On if he would give the same evaluation as Head Coach Sean McVay in saying his game against the Lions was his most complete game)
“I think it was a solid one. I think as a team we were a whole lot better on third down, which is always nice. Third down, redzone, we were good. There’s still a couple of possessions out there where we didn't get any points where I wish we could have. My goal is to every time we touch the ball to get points. Those points, I always want those to be touchdowns, but if their field goals, they also count. A couple drives in there where we didn't get points. We’d love to make sure that we get them on every single drive, but I take each kind of game for what it's worth. What I'm asked to do in that game, I'd hope that I can execute it and help our team win. Certain weeks I've done that better than others.”

(On his favorite Halloween candy)
“Reese's peanut butter cups. It’s probably my go-to.”

(On if he eats too many Reese’s)
“(I) try not to, but it's hard sometimes.”

(On if he’s a hard seltzer fan)
“That was more of ‘anything that's available at the time’ situation.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky257October 27, 2021 05:36PM