Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Our Ceiling?

October 27, 2021 09:17AM
It is really hard to get a firm grip on this Rams team. We are a legitimate contender for a ring. We have real weaknesses. And we have issues that I think are over-blown. Let's consider some.

First, the passing game is genuinely superb. Duh. No more needs to be said. This is indeed a S B worthy passing game.

But then there is the "slow start" knock on Matt. That doesn't bother me much at all. All QBs miss some throws and need to get into rhythm. Matt has started out really hot in some games this season and doesn't take very long to get moving. This is the NFL. Teams will slow you down at times, but I don't think anyone has shown any sort of blueprint for shutting us down the way DET and CHI did in our S B year.

The running game has been solid but fairly limited. And we have RBs with injury histories without much behind them. I think it can support a S B run, but it won't carry us.

The S Ts are a major, major concern. Our kicking has actually been solid but there appears to be chaos on the units. Apparently, on the 2nd fake punt, we had 10 men on the field. I mean, please ... And who is our return guy, after all? Someone explain to me why Tutu is not back there.

Theoretically, these S T issues could be correctable in the season, but the trajectory is very poor.

The Defense is probably not as bad as people think. Our pass rush is above average at least, our secondary is uneven but with real quality, and our OLBs are pretty good. That loose coverage is concerning but actually has a positive side and COULD become more solid in time.

Our ILBs are, however, liabilities. And we just traded the "best" of them for an iced soda. Our run defense can be good here and there but is, I think, a major weakness. SF beats us because they shove the ball down our throat and we will be facing other quality running games. This seems to me a weakness that will persist through the year.

I just listened to Jourdan, and she was talking about how the organization simply does not value the ILB position. Presumably, they figure that they can overcome opposition running games with our offense, a pass rush and a containing secondary. That appears to be a conscious strategic position.

Well, I don't like that. I don't trust it, especially in the playoffs. So OK, you don't need Dick Butkus any more, but we are seriously below the mean at ILB and that seems to me dangerous.

In terms of competitiveness, I am fairly positive. With 1 exception, we have played good teams toughly. We play down to lesser competition a bit, but I think we'll keep posting expected Ws and that's all that matters.

On his show, Sean said something that is not, in my view, horse manure. He talked about how, through the game, the team remained focused and clear-minded, without panic. That is a major positive quality. I think it's more important than the ability to achieve blowouts. This is the NFL and teams will battle you. A team that can keep its head clear, compete, and make winning plays at the death is the toughest sort of team to beat.

Think of great dynasties in the past. This is what they did. They might fall behind, but the opposition was terrified of them coming from behind and grabbing the game. Hell, G B right now often plays poorly up front and then grabs the game down the stretch. No one asks them to be dominant throughout every game. Why? Because they have a track record of taking the game away in the end. I would like to think we are building that rep. And you know, games in which you trail a bad team really show that quality. No panic. Trust your teammates. Execute down the stretch. Hang up the W and move on. This is the NFL. The ability to do that is infinitely precious.

So what does it all add up to? I dunno, but I'd say this.

I think we will lose some games to contenders. Our weaknesses on D and S Ts are very exploitable and the O will not always master the margin of error. I think we will lose 3-5 games and finish in 2nd place in the division.

Then, in the playoffs, I don't see us getting there. We'll probably win a game or two, but maybe not. If we can't play tougher on D and solidly on S Ts, I don't see us getting where we want to go.

I hope I am wrong and I might be. But I don't see us getting there unless we get consistent competence on S Ts, better run D, and significantly improved defensive performance on 3 down.

Our O is S B worthy. I don't think the rest of the team is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2021 09:23AM by RFL.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Our Ceiling?

RFL244October 27, 2021 09:17AM

Re: Our Ceiling?

Rams43152October 27, 2021 10:38AM