Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay - October 15, 2021

October 15, 2021 01:59PM

Head Coach Sean McVay
Head Coach Sean McVay
(Opening Statement)
“From an injury standpoint, we should be good to go. (DL) Aaron (Donald) will be listed as limited, but I don't see him having any setbacks. He felt really good yesterday. Everybody else that’s been on the injury report, we fully expect and anticipate those guys to be ready to go on Sunday. And so, that's a good thing for our team.”

(On if he’s anticipating seeing Giants QB Daniel Jones)
“We are. Yes, to answer your question.”

(On how RB Darrell Henderson Jr. has been doing since he returned from his injury)
“I think he's done really well. I think he's shown that he's a complete back. I think he's played tough. (I) think he's done a great job in pass protection. I think he's leveled off runs really well. He's had some good, tough, hard-earned runs, especially in the red zone. You look at his touchdown last week. I think he and (Rcool smiley Sony (Michel) are really good complements of one another and then I think he's going to only continue to get better. But I've been really pleased with Darrell. (I) like where he's at and I really feel good about that running back room as a whole. Watching the way that Sony has continued to become more and more of a factor, I think those two are great complements of each other.”

(On if he wants to continue to use Darrell and Sony like they did last week)
“I think it worked out pretty well last week. I think, like you've heard me say over and over, each game kind of presents a different narrative. But I do think both those guys, like I said, they complement each other really well. (Running Backs Coach/Assistant Head Coach) Thomas (Brown), I really have such trust in Thomas that he kind of rotates them through based on his feel for the flow of the game. There's always a couple of plays that maybe are specific to one guy or the other, but I really just have trust in Thomas to kind of rotate those guys through. I think now that Sony's accumulated enough experience with us that you feel like everything is open. There's not anything that you're saying, ‘Alright, he's getting caught up to speed on.’ So, I thought that worked out pretty well last week, but it might be different this week. But that was - I don't know if you'd say ideal - but I thought it worked out well based on the Seattle game.”

(On P Johnny Hekker’s health status since returning from being absent due to COVID)
“I think he's feeling good. Ideally, the majority of the work that you want to see for (P) Johnny (Hekker) is just as a holder. That's the best-case scenario for us. I think his command, his leadership - there's a lot of things that go on that aren't necessarily seen on game days, that he brings so much to our team. And he's meant so much to this organization long before I got here and he's continued to be a vital part of it, since I've been here for the last handful of years. He's done a good job. His opportunities, if they're at a minimum, that's always a good thing for us as weird as that is to say. But I think he's done a good job when he's been asked to come out as a punter and then I think he's done a really good job as a holder for us.”

(On if the decision to go with P Johnny Hekker over P Corey Bojorquez was due to his threat as a passer)
“This might be the week (laughter). I think it's all predicated on if we feel like that's the best thing to be able to do given the scenario and the feel for the flow of the game. But it is well documented that he's got the ability to throw the football and activate certain things. That's something that you always want to keep in your back pocket. We always have those things up, whether we decide to activate them or not, is a game predicated.”

(On if a fake punt pass is something you can do often or if it’s important to keep him planted)
“I think the fact that you just know that he's had success in those situations, it does regulate some of the looks that you see based on the punt return team that you're facing. But there are some instances too where you say, ‘Okay, if you're going to do that, maybe get (Qcool smiley Matthew (Stafford) another down.’ So, there's a lot of things that go into that and all things that we think about. But I would agree with what (General Manager) Les (Snead) is saying in that arena.”

(On his reaction to the Philadelphia Eagles trading TE Zach Erts to the Arizona Cardinals)
“Good player. I think that's a result of (Cardinals TE Max Williams) being out for the year. He had done a really nice job. I think what I respect about what the Cardinals have done is you can see there's an identity that they have offensively. They're getting a lot of different playmakers involved. (I) think they felt like losing Max, it was important to have somebody that can present a unique skill set from that tight end position. (Cardinals TE) Zach (Ertz) certainly has a resume that speaks for itself and I can understand the rationale behind the decision. For us, sometimes we felt like those were the right moves for us in years past. A lot of it is based on resources you have at your disposal, different things that lead to what's the flexibility that you have. You won't see any big splash moves, like maybe you've seen from us in the past. It doesn't look like that could occur. I would never say never as you know.”

(On what his approach has been with LB Chris Garrett returning)
“Seeing progress with him. It's unfortunate because he was a guy that I thought made so much progress throughout the course of the preseason, and you could really see the influence and the effect that he had on the game, specifically just rushing the quarterback. And you guys hear me say it all the time. Repetition is the mother of learning. He's a young player that has a lot of upside, but he's still continuing to learn. And That COVID got him pretty good. He's recovering, he's getting back to where he's getting comfortable and he's really maximizing his practice opportunities. He's done a great job in a lot of the look team settings, giving those offensive linemen and tight ends some really challenging looks. He's getting better and he's making our team better. Whether or not he ends up being active, there are a lot of things that go into that: our personnel groupings that we're activating, what's his contribution in the kicking game, all those types of things. He's a guy that we still have a lot of confidence in, but that COVID did set him back a little bit. We're still very optimistic about what he can bring to our football team and whether it's this week or at some point this year, we're going to need him.”

(On if it is fair to say besides the personnel decisions his activation status has more to do with him getting up to speed from a conditioning standpoint)
“It's all of the above. Personnel groupings, him getting back comfortable in a rhythm and routine, and then just continuing to earn that trust from us as coaches. But I've been pleased with (Lcool smiley Chris (Garrett). He's done a nice job. I wouldn't look at him not being activated as anything negative other than, ‘Hey, it just kind of hasn't worked out’. That's where some of those fringe spots when you're talking about that 46th to 48th guy on game day. There's a little bit of flexibility that is required, and the kicking game has a lot to do with that.”

(On if it feels like it has been a while since the team has last played)
“Yeah, it does. Even when you're watching that Thursday night game, as you’re kind of wrapping up some of our game preparation you're thinking, ‘Man it seems like it was a month ago that we played not just a week ago”. So, I think guys are excited. They've been fresh this week. I liked the way that we practiced. I like the way the guys have handled just our weekly rhythm and our process and our approach. And looking forward to seeing that show itself with the way that we perform on Sunday.”

(On if he will be elevating a DB or special teams player from the practice squad)
“There's a possibility of that. Yeah. That's something that we could look into. (Ccool smiley Dont’e Deayon is a guy that's a very likely candidate for that.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky267October 15, 2021 01:59PM

Re: Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay - October 15, 2021

Rams43143October 15, 2021 04:48PM