Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An excerpt from Jourdan’s most recent column…

October 15, 2021 09:53AM
Wish I could copy the whole article for you, but I can;t.

The following is my favorite part of her last article.

Here’s Jourdan…

The Rams might also expand safety Terrell Burgess’ role starting Sunday. Burgess is a versatile player who showed a lot of promise in 2020 before suffering a season-ending ankle injury, but he entered camp this summer stating he was close to 100 percent. Burgess played a lot of safety during camp, but he also appeared to dabble in the “star” on the second team (and even has some prior experience at cornerback), so while there is no real substitute for Ramsey there, having that option in Burgess at least would give teams something to think about and allow for flexibility in tempo or non-substitution situations especially as they’re short-handed in the defensive backfield. McVay mentioned Burgess as a player he “wants to get going” last week. It was also notable that Burgess did not wear a scout-team jersey in practice this week, but instead wore his own No. 26.

“You certainly are looking at a big opportunity for him right here,” Morris said. “When people get injured, it’s unfortunate but it’s certainly an opportunity for somebody else. You’ve got a chance to go out there and show yourself, fill that small role or that bigger role, whatever that role is, and you certainly can increase it by your play.”

Added Ramsey, “It’s going to be a group effort, for sure. And we’ve got some guys who will step into some roles that they haven’t been in yet …

“We have to see how guys take advantage of the opportunities that they’re given. And this week is definitely a week where guys are going to be thrown in the game, thrown in the fire and given those opportunities to show what they can do and who they are on the team. It’s an important week, I would say, for a lot of guys.”

The reconfiguration of the Rams’ secondary, and when we might expect some emergence from Burgess, was among the most frequently asked questions I got this week. Many fans have asked whether Burgess’ recovery from injury has been a factor in his non-existent defensive snaps; my sense is that it is not (he’s never been limited in practice, he’s working physical reps on special teams and he was previously taking full scout-team reps).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2021 09:53AM by Rams43.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

An excerpt from Jourdan’s most recent column…

Rams43440October 15, 2021 09:53AM