Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams have Safety issues, or is it scheme issues? Or both?

October 11, 2021 05:27AM
Something is off with the back end of the Rams D. Not terrible of course, but not quite right.
I think that JJ3 made that scheme go in the back end and losing him has created a crack in it.

I also think that since no one here would likely say that Rapp or any other Rams Safety is on JJ3's level, then perhaps the scheme has to be a bit modified to recognize that reality. Playing deep is not Rapp's strong point, and so I think this is working against us. He belongs in the box. He's not a cover guy. But.... the Staley scheme doesn't do that very much. I think the Star concept has to take a back seat, and get Ramsey more back to the secondary with Rapp moving up closer to the line.

Either that, or get the faster and more CB-like Burgess in there next to Fuller. Burgess IS a cover guy. And, BTW, it sure looks to me like Nick Scott is fast, quick, a good tackler and ought to play more.

I can't figure out why we're not seeing more of Burgess. And no answer McVay has given is satisfactory; too much coach-speak non-answers.
I think for some reason Morris has something against him. Not saying he's necessarily wrong. I feel like McVay is trying to let Morris have his head, but this week may change things since there is more time to think about it.

But it seems to me that Burgess needs to be given a shot, or maybe Scott, and the scheme needs to change.

Right now I see a lot of thinking and not so much reacting going on. I seen Rapp always being a step behind in coverage.
And it is making the Rams D less aggressive and allowing splash plays. I don't think they can or should continue this way.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams have Safety issues, or is it scheme issues? Or both?

RockRam236October 11, 2021 05:27AM

Early on in this season....

Guard131October 11, 2021 06:36AM

Re: Rams have Safety issues, or is it scheme issues? Or both?

Rams43109October 11, 2021 06:39AM