Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, CB Jalen Ramsey - October 1, 2021

October 01, 2021 02:13PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, CB Jalen Ramsey - October 1, 2021

Head Coach Sean McVay, CB Jalen Ramsey
Head Coach Sean McVay

(On Darrell Henderson Jr.’s status for Week 4)
“I think that he's going to be able to. I don't anticipate him not being able to go. He's been good this week, so no updates. Whether we put him as a limited participant or not, I don't know that. But he he's going to play.”

(On if CB Jalen Ramsey will shadow WR DeAndre Hopkins)
“Perhaps. He's a great player. They're doing a good job moving the ball around. I think there'll be some times that they might be matched up, and there might be some other times where they're not. But, (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey)’s versatility will be on display, as will (WR) DeAndre (Hopkins)'s and sometimes those guys will be aligned on one another. Similar to when you guys (media) were asking about (DL) Aaron (Donald) and (OL) Quintin Nelson a couple of weeks ago. So, these are two premier players at their positions. There'll be some times, but that versatility that Jalen displays is something that we'll look into, but we'll see how the game unfolds.”

(On CB Darious Williams versatility and being able to go wherever CB Jalen Ramsey goes)
“Yeah, I think you just said it. I mean, you're not able to do that unless you have somebody that can be flexible as well. You know, (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) is incredibly talented. He's gotten a lot of credit and rightfully so, for the different things and the amount of different hats that he's able to wear for our defense. is in the same light, because a lot of those times when Jalen is outside or Jalen is inside, Darious is vice versa. To be able to do that gives us so much flexibility defensively, especially when you're talking about with the same 11 bodies on the field, that don't give you any really tips and tells of when those types of situations might come up. (Defensive Coordinator) Raheem and our defensive coaches have done a great job with that, but for sure you have got to give a lot of credit to Jalen and Darious and their versatility and the ability that both those guys have both physically and mentally.”

(On the differences between the two mobile quarterbacks the Rams are going to be facing in five days – Seahawks QB Russell Wilson and QB Kyler Murray)
“They are both great players. They're kind of different in terms of how they extend plays, but they're both very athletic. Right now, our sole focus and concentration is on the (Arizona) Cardinals. We will worry about our next game after we play this one. This is a great team. We've got our hands full. We've got to be ready to go. It's going to be a great atmosphere and environment two 3-0 teams going at it. It's just our first division game and that's really important for us to play well. We know what a great challenge it's going to be. But (Qcool smiley Kyler (Murray), he just, he presents all types of problems. It's going to be a great challenge for sure.”

(On if LB Obo Okoronkwo will be available Sunday)
“I think so. That's the anticipation. Have not made that for sure, but as long as things go according to plan at today's practice, I expect that to be move where we're expecting him to play unless something changes in the meantime.”

(On if WR TuTu Atwell will be available)
“I don't know that yet. because being sick and it seems like it's kind of that same little deal that I had last week, kind of going around. Which what you hate for guy. But a lot of it is predicated on how quickly they turn over. And then it's always a little bit of a different approach too with a rookie. It'd be one thing if this was a veteran player that you knew could kind of come in on short notice. I'm not saying that (WR) TuTu (Atwell) is not possible to do that. But you're a little bit more leery with those approaches, with guys that haven't accumulated the experience as some of our other veterans.”

(On who would then replace TuTu as returners)
“(WR) DeSean (Jackson) and (WR) Cooper (Kupp). Those are our guys.”

(On if WR DeSean Jackson will actually return kicks)
“Oh yeah, absolutely. We will talk about those things. But have you seen him returned punts? He's pretty damn dynamic. So, there is a possibility of that, but again we're working through all those things in the meantime right now. But the contingency plans are we've got two guys from the receiving corps outside of TuTu that we both feel good about their ability to make good decisions. Good things happen when the balls in both those guys hands. Those are the two candidates that would be in the immediate conversation.”

(On what's the biggest difference he has seen in Kyler Murray from year one to year two)
“He has always been such a dynamic playmaker that can extend plays. He's doing a great job distributing the ball evenly. (WR Christian) Kirk's their leading receiver right now, but he's getting (WR DeAndre) Hopkins involved. (WR) AJ Green's making his plays. They've done a nice job getting (RB Chase) Edmonds involved. (TE) Max Williams as well. The way he is seeing the field, and then just the explosive athleticism. His ability to extend plays has always been well-documented, but to be able to be decisive, understand where those issues are coming from, and then being able to make plays in the rhythm and timing that sometimes you're looking for. Being able to do either or and the consistency at which he's doing it through these first three games is really what stands out. But it's not like he hasn't been a dynamic playmaker since he got into the league. It's why he won rookie of the year. And he's healthy and he's fresh. Like I've said all week, he's a problem.

(On his reaction when the schedule was released, and he saw back to back division games on a Sunday and Thursday)
“I didn't really think of it. When the schedule comes out, what I look at is where does the Thursday game fall and then who do you open with. So, I haven't really thought too much about it. I just think this league is so competitive that you just have to be in the moment. And so much changes on any given day or any given weekend when games are played. But for us through three games, guys have done a nice job. This is a really important fourth game. And then we'll worry about having a great week of preparation on a quick turnaround next week.”

(On if OL Tremayne Anchrum Jr. will be activated before Sunday)
“I don't see that. I don't think that'll be something that you can expect to see.”

(On CB Jalen Ramsey’s mariachi outfit he wore to last Sunday’s game against Tampa Bay)
“I did not see it, but I had seen the outfit. He pulled it off. It was swaggy. Just like (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) making a big entrance. I thought he looked great and it seemed like it was well received. What'd you think of it?”

(On how Jalen Ramsey has matured since coming to the Rams)
“I think only Jalen can answer that, but what's great is he's surrounded by people that are really, ‘Hey, let's empower you. Understand the responsibility that comes with those things.’ He's just naturally grown into it by being himself. He's a great football player, but he's also bringing people with him. And I feel like it is kind of it's a broken record, but it's been really important for our football team and watching the way that he approaches day in and day out. How competitive he is, how smart he is. How much he wants to be on the screws with every little detail. That's really shown and I think he can feel that there's an investment from his teammates, from his player, from his coaches, from the organization. When anytime somebody feels supported, usually good things happen. But he'd be better equipped to answer that. But he seems like he's having fun and it's fun to watch him do his thing.”

CB Jalen Ramsey
(On looking forward to the matchup with Cardinals WR DeAndre Hopkins)
“I've always had it twice a year, so even when I was in Jacksonville he was just texting (me). So, it's always been twice a year since I've been in the league. I look forward to it.”

(On he will be traveling with Hopkins on Sunday)
“We’ll see.”

(On his strong respect for Hopkins)
“He's one of the best in the game. The way he plays, he respects the game and how could I not respect that. Going against one of the not only best receivers in the game, but, in my opinion, the best in the game. Also, he's like an ultimate competitor. Every play where we're kind of competing, I'm the same way, I'm wired the same way. That’s kind of where a lot of that comes from.”

(On his exchange with Buccaneers QB Tom Brady telling him he needs to hold onto the ball a second longer)
“I think that was my first game in my career where I had like some actual QB hurries. I had like a couple too many.”

(On the challenges Cardinals QB Kyler Murray presents to the secondary)
“It’s just tough because they also have good receivers and good guys who are like playmakers, who can go make plays, so covering those guys for six seconds is already tough enough. So, if he extends a play a couple more seconds, then you can just imagine how much tougher that makes it on the defensive guys. But we have our confidence in the world and our D-Line and our guys who rush. We’ll be ready. We'll see how this Sunday goes.”

(On if going into this game feels any different given the series history)
“I don't know. We can't think about last year or last week or anything. We (are) just focused on this game. One game at a time and this is the next game up. Kind of like I told you all last week, we take every game super serious. It’s an important one because it's the game that we have up right now.”

(On if they look like a different team than last year based off the film)
“Obviously they do have a lot of the same guys, same playmakers were making plays last year for them (are) making plays for them again this year. They got a couple of new faces around on offense who are also making plays. Like I said, we don't want to try to compare last year to this year just because it's always new. It is what it is. We just going to go with it.”

(On what lead him to wear what he wore to the Buccaneers game and what does he plan to wear this weekend)
“No, I'm chilling this week (laughs). It was our ‘Vamos Rams’ game. We got the mariachi band, that's something that's unique to the L.A. Rams that, I only (have) been on two teams, but I don't think any other NFL team has a mariachi band. They play at every game. That was something that once I got traded here, my first game was in the Coliseum with, I guess, the Bears, that's something that stuck with me. That's something that I thought was always kind of dope, kind of cool. Last year, obviously we didn't have fans and you didn't get to feel their reaction to the mariachi band when they performed. But I remember in the preseason game, I think it was the Raiders, I don't know, maybe, they performed and the whole crowd went crazy for them just because of the culture here in LA. So, it kind of clicked back in my mind that that was something really cool. (I asked them to) send me something dope. I kind of took it from there and everything happened.”

(On what he admires about Charles Woodson’s game and if he models his game after him)
“I wouldn't say I model my game after anybody just because I like to be unique in my own ways, make a name for myself, but he is, in my opinion, the best defensive back to ever play the game. I like specified defensive back because obviously I think Deion (Sanders) is the best corner to play the game, but Charles (Woodson) did it all. He played corner, he played safety, he played nickel, he was all over the field at all times in his career. So, that's just where that comes from.”

(On if he’s been thinking about Woodson as he’s evolved into a larger, more complex role in the Rams defense)
“I won’t say I've been thinking about him, but I guess, hopes to have the type of impact that he had while he was playing all over the field that I do. I think about that.”

(On if he has a relationship with Woodson)
“I met Charles right before the draft, I think because I was signed with Jordan Brand at the time and he's a Jordan Brand athlete. So, I met him I think in Vegas. From there, we kind of stayed in contact here and there and I've seen him a little bit here and there. Pro Bowls and other little things like that. That's it.”

(On Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury saying that up to this point he is the league’s Defensive MVP for the season and if he feels like he’s playing at that level)
“I always like to kind of have high expectations for myself and hope that I'm living up to them. (DL) Aaron Donald is my teammate, so he's the MVP of the whole world.”

(On if Woodson communicates with him after a game)
“Here or there. Not often. No, we don't talk often, but here and there he may. Or here and there, I may hit him up.”

(On if he finds it cool when Woodson sends him a message)
“Yeah, it is for sure. He's the best defensive back to ever play the game, so, yeah, it's cool.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky233October 01, 2021 02:13PM