Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LA Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay - September 26, 2021

September 27, 2021 04:40PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay - September 26, 2021

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(On updates of LB Justin Hollins, RB Darrell Henderson Jr., and what that could mean for other players)
“So, unfortunately for (Lcool smiley Justin Hollins he's going to have surgery on his pec. He partially tore that pec. It's a big loss for us, so we'll put him on IR - designated to return. I'll have more information on what that timetable looks like once he gets that surgery, but he's going to get surgery tomorrow to repair that pec. Guys are going to be asked to step up. It's good that it kind of coincides with getting (OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo) Obo potentially back as well with his three weeks being up. Both he and (OL) Tremayne Anchrum (Jr.) – we’ll probably start that clock on him and how soon they end up returning will be kind of something that we'll monitor as the week progresses. But he's going to be out for a little bit. (Rcool smiley Darrell’s (Henderson Jr.) making good progress. I am hopeful that we'll be able to have him for this week, but I'll have a little bit more information as the week progresses with that. And then they're just typical bumps and bruises. Everybody else came out fairly clean - good physical game like you guys saw yesterday.”
(On how it is determined which plays WR Cooper Kupp will run)
“I mean, he's got such a great feel. He's so creative and he's got such a great thought process. So, you definitely give ownership to your players that have earned that right. Certainly, (WR) Cooper (Kupp) is one of those guys. I think you're probably alluding to the route that he had in the red area. That was a player thing that those guys kind of came up with and (I) can't take credit. When you draw something like that up, I don't think he ever really imagined that working out quite the way that it is. And then when he put his own spin on how he's going to run it you say, ‘That's some pretty good stuff right there.’ And so he and (Qcool smiley Matthew (Stafford) did an excellent job and that was a fun one. But, that was all Cooper right there.”

(On his reaction to that)
“It's fun. It's fun to watch. Just like I was telling you guys yesterday, it's just so fun to see these guys. You always have kind of ideas and some thoughts, but when they make it come to life – that’s what's the most fun about it and then seeing it be successful in games that count in those real situations. We've been teaching that route off of practice clips for the last year or so, and it's nice to now have that on the real teaching clips for the inventory.”

(On the versatility WR Robert Woods adds to the offense)
“I think he's as versatile a receiver as there is. The amount of stuff that (WR) Robert (Woods) does - making big plays in the pass game, being able to create after the catch, being able to take jet sweeps, handoffs, being able to actually get into the backfield. He took a handoff against the Bears as well and he's just a great football player. He's tough competing without the ball. He's excellent competing with the ball. That adds to a lot of versatility that we can present because he's such a versatile and complete football player and a big reason - just the way he competes and all the things that he does that are so valuable for our team - why he's got a C (captain) on his chest.”

(On how much of an impact WR DeSean Jackson’s maturity and where he is in his coaching career have on producing positive results)
“I thought it was a real credit to the (WR) DeSean (Jackson). Obviously, the first couple of weeks didn't go the way that I think either of us had planned. And there was nobody that was responsible other than myself that I take accountability. And then DeSean, I thought handled it (well). (He) was great with the conversation. He handled the week of preparation excellent. Held up his end of the bargain and then delivered in a big way. And so, I think our relationship in general was really helpful for us to be able to sit down (and) have an honest conversation. Then you can move forward and give yourself a chance to move forward the right way. And that's exactly what he did yesterday. And I think he's going to continue to be a big part of what we do for the rest of the season. I was really happy for DeSean and he definitely delivered in a big way. Can't believe that guy can still run like that, can you?”

(On where OLB Terrell Lewis fits in the plans for outside linebacker going forward and if he has had the most impact in yesterday’s game)
“It was. He played close to over 30 snaps, which was by far his biggest workload. Thought he handled it well. He came in, he was feeling good. And so, seeing his maturation and him continue to progress is a big deal because (Lcool smiley Justin Hollins had done such a great job really solidifying that spot opposite (OLcool smiley Leonard Floyd over these first few weeks. But to see (OLcool smiley Terrell (Lewis) be able to do what he did was really encouraging. You can't have enough good players that can apply pressure to the quarterback and be able to set edges and make the plays that he did. So, he's definitely going to be a big factor and you can look for him to play a lot more snaps moving forward.”

(On if there is a way to describe the crowd noise as other than loud and if he can compare it to other stadiums)
“It's hard to say because every stadium is kind of different, but loud is an appropriate way to describe it. It was loud as (inaudible) down there. The fans were outstanding. You know what was really fun too? I've talked to (Owner/Chairman) Mr. (E. Stanley) Kroenke for the last few years as he's had this vision for this project unfolding. Obviously, with COVID and everything, not having fans in the stands, but he had talked about wanting to make sure that we had a real home field advantage, and the Bears game and then yesterday in particular, it really came to light. I thought the fans were incredible. The best way I can describe that atmosphere is electric. It was electric. There was a lot of really cool moments for people to get excited that our players brought to life. But just the totality of the stadium, I couldn't, I would be out of my lane describing the acoustics and some of the things that make it loud, but I know that it was set up in a manner that was designed to really have that noise be a factor and try to be a detriment to the offense’s ability to operate for the visiting team. And I think that definitely played a hand in a couple of the pre-snap procedural penalties and some of the things that they weren't able to do. A lot of those situations were the fans were geeked up and did a great job, and you could see our players really thrived off of it. And it was definitely an edge for us, and we love it.”

(On if he liked the crowd noise better than the fake noise last year)
“A lot better, yes. It's very safe to say.”

(On if Lewis is on track to start against the Cardinals)
“We'll talk about it. I think we'll see. I think it's important to really be able to have a good rotation. And we'll see how Obo (OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo) handles this week of preparation, but I think you do want to have somewhat of a rotation. Terrell is a guy that's in consideration. Whether you get the first snap or not, it's kind of not as important as, ‘Alright, what's your role based on the different personnel packages in the situations that we want to see you execute your job within the framework of what (Defensive Coordinator) Raheem (Morris) is calling?’ And so, I think you'll look to see him play snaps probably in alignment with what he did yesterday. Whether he ends up taking that first snap or not, we'll get a feel for as the week progresses and as we put the plan together.”

(On TE Tyler Higbee’s evolvement with TE Gerald Everett’s departure to Seattle)
“I don't think It has changed too much. I think we got a really good glimpse of the capability and the upside to (TE) Tyler Higbee when that stretch of games in 2019 when (former Rams TE) Gerald (Everett) was out. I think he's a complete tight end. I think he competes really well in all three phases. He's a glue guy on this team. Everybody loves Tyler Higbee. I'm sure when you guys talk to him, he’s just one of those guys. He's just got a great feel for people. He's a great competitor. He has a great game day swag. His ability to compete in the run game. His ability to compete in protection. And then he made some outstanding plays that were really timely in the pass game. He’s so hard on himself. He'll be worried about and bothered by the one fumble. It was a good job by that guy getting his helmet right on the ball and Whit (OL Andrew Whitworth) did a great job recovering it, but the touchdown, the third-down conversion that ended up leading to a touchdown drive on a third down and four or five I want to say. He's a stud. I love Tyler Higbee and it doesn't really change, but when he's involved, good things happen for our offense.”

(On what he thinks has made the Rams so dominant against the Cardinals during his stint)
“Our players have played well. This is a really good team. They're obviously playing really well this year. They’ve got a lot of playmakers in all three phases. They've got great schemes. I don't know that there's really an answer other than when we've played them, our guys have found a way to deliver in that three-hour window and do an excellent job coming away with the wins. But we all know this, and you guys know how I feel, what's happened in previous years has zero to do with what we're going to try to do on Sunday. Those things have no merit. It doesn't do anything for us. We just got to make sure that we prepare the right way moving forward and try to do everything we can to put another good performance together.”

(On if he sees any differences in OL Brian Allen’s level of play)
“He's so conscientious that he's using those previous experiences to draw on it and give him confidence moving forward. I think because of the way that he's really worked at his game, you can't help but get better. You're talking about a guy that's so committed to the process. He loves football. He's always talking about it. He takes great pride in the ownership that's required based on how we operate with the center. He and (Qcool smiley Matthew (Stafford) have a really special rapport. I think those two being able to work in concert with the communication, all the different things that we do, the changes of tempo, the different things that we're seeing structurally on the defensive side of the ball and all the answers that we want to make sure that you're on the screws with, he's been really good. I think, physically, he's stronger than he's been. You can see he's really worked hard. He’s just sturdy. He's playing with the fundamentals and the techniques. He's really buying into the things that (Offensive Line) Coach (Kevin) Carberry and (Offensive Assistant) Nick Jones and (Offensive Assistant) Zak Kromer are coaching. But the experience, the way he works about it, physically and above the neck, and all those things are leading to him playing really good football and doing an excellent job with the command that he has for the first three weeks. Been very pleased with (OL) Brian (Allen), but I'm not surprised because of the way that he played throughout the course of training camp and the way he competed and the way that he just stayed the course and how resilient he was. It’s really been awesome to see what Brian's done so far. And I think he's only going to get better.”

(On after watching yesterday’s film, what is continuing to impress him about QB Matthew Stafford)
“Feel for the game, ability as he accumulates snaps throughout the course of the game, to get a feel for things, how unflappable he was, the standards that he has for himself. The one third down to DeSean down the middle of the field, I know he was really bothered at that one, but he just can't wait for the next opportunity to compete. I just think it's the consistency throughout the game. And then the amount of stuff that he sees, recognizes and is able to make plays as a result of that understanding for what's going on, on the other side. There’s just so many different things that you've seen through these first three weeks. But his ability to get us in and out of the right stuff. There was a lot of instances where we're at the line and he's kind of just taking control and being able to trust what he sees and run some plays that got us into some premier looks, and he did a great job with that. That’s really what I've seen is just that the total command ownership. And when things don't go perfect, how steady he remains and it doesn't affect his ability to move forward.”

(On if he has been able to watch the Arizona Cardinals play much this season and what may be causing their success)
“I haven't. I've just kind of seen bits and pieces here. As soon as we get off this call, and when I finish up a couple other things, that's when I really dive into the early parts of the preparation for the Cardinals. But you see what (DE) Chandler (Jones) did Week 1 and the influence and the effect. They've always been really physical defense. (S) Buddha Baker's one of the better players in this league. They're really playing as one, is what I would imagine when I really flip the tape on. And then (Qcool smiley Kyler Murray is just making play after play. You're seeing guys like (WR DeAndre) Hopkins and (WR) A.J. Green get involved. I've always thought (WR) Christian Kirk was a big-time player and he's made a bunch of plays through these first few weeks. But they're really tough on teams. They've got good guys that can run and hit and play in space. And they're well coached. That's a good recipe for being 3-0 and that's what I would imagine when I really dive deep into the film. But everything that I'm kind of saying has really just been watching from afar and seeing some highlights and stuff like that.”

(On if he watches the Manning Cast of Monday Night Football)
“Ohh, that's a good question. You know what, I think I'm going to have to flip on the Manning Cast a couple of times. I've gotten to have a good friendship with (Qcool smiley Peyton (Manning), and those guys are fun to listen to. If you tune in (QB Matthew) Stafford is going to make a guest appearance tonight.”

(On how QB Matthew Stafford’s ‘kind of nuts’ third down effectiveness has changed third down play calling)
“He's been outstanding. ‘Kind of nuts’ is a good way of saying it. That's been a representation of obviously him, but I think the other ten guys. If you look at some of those plays that we've been able to hit, what great strain, effort, sustain and finish up front that are our guys and our linemen have done. Backs have done a good job, sticking their face on people when they're asked to be utilized in protection. The fact that we're able to distribute the field. We talk about making the defense defend every blade of grass. We're getting the time, he's seen the field and we're able to get four, and then sometimes five of our eligibles out with our back, and distribute the field in a manner that's reflective of, ‘He's going to be able to recognize the coverage. He knows where his answers are built in within the framework of the concept. And he is so decisive.’ Kind of similar to what I was saying (earlier) is just his decisiveness and understanding of what the defense is doing and where the ball or where the play is designed, what the intent of these concepts are. He makes it really come to life. And so that's been huge and a big part of why we've had success, particularly in those third and longer situations.”

(On when he has a third and long and the Rams convert, what does it then do for him on the following first down structurally)
“Anytime that you get a gain first down, especially when you're talking about those types of conversions that are usually a result of an explosive play because you got to have certain yards to convert, it just gives you the ability to keep people off balance. Whether you want to go on the ball and run tempo. Whether you want to be able to huddle up, change the personnel grouping. Really more than anything, it gives you a fresh set of downs where you can continue to accumulate and gain inventory to try to just have stuff play off of one another. And that's kind of part of our overall philosophy, but you got to get plays to be able to get into the feel and the flow of a game and a rhythm. I'm certainly not complaining about some of the big plays we've hit, but it just gives you more opportunities to try to activate things based on whatever the intent is or what we feel like is the best way to attack the defense. Whether that's running it or throwing it, and the different types of offenses and phases of our offense that can come to life after that game first down.”

--RAMS
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

LA Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay - September 26, 2021

Shaky289September 27, 2021 04:40PM