Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, CB Jalen Ramsey - September 24, 2021

September 24, 2021 02:05PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, CB Jalen Ramsey - September 24, 2021

Head Coach Sean McVay, CB Jalen Ramsey
Head Coach Sean McVay
(On RB Darrell Henderson Jr. and OLB Leonard Floyd)
“So, (Rcool smiley Darrell Henderson (Jr.), we'll be smart with him again today and that decision is probably going to come all the way up to game time. (OLcool smiley Leonard (Floyd) – I expect to be a full participant today. He's making good progress. He'll be a go.”

(On if Floyd will be active on Sunday)
“He'll be a go.”

(On what he wants to see from Henderson Jr.)
“It's a pain tolerance thing. I think it's more just getting his feedback. I want to use as much time as we have, but we've got contingency plans in place and if that's the case, then those other guys will be asked to step up.”

(On what the key is for our defense to shut down Buccaneers TE Rob Gronkowski)
“He does a great job. You look at his ability to compete in the run game – he's making plays in the pass game. The rapport that he and (Buccaneers Qcool smiley Tom (Brady) have has definitely been illustrated in these first couple of weeks. I think it's being mindful of when he comes alive. What are those situations? What are the things that they like to do? What are the types of concepts that they like to activate versus some of the structures that we're going to present? It's like anything else – guys being able to play their assignments, understand where they fit within the framework of the call, and how we keep his impact to a minimum.”

(On how he is feeling health wise)
“I’m feeling okay. Fortunately, I'm not playing so that's good. As long as I'm not too foggy mentally. I'm not out there playing, so we'll be okay. (Ccool smiley Darious Williams is also sick, so he won't be here today. But, I don’t expect that to affect his game status. That just came to me, but I'm doing good. Thanks for asking.

(On confirming if CB Darious Williams’ sickness is non-COVID)
“Non-COVID. Yes.”

(On if there are any concerns with the secondary)
“I think I feel really good about our secondary, but have tremendous respect for their receiving core. They've got guys that can make plays all over the place. I think (Buccaneers WR) Antonio (Brown) has been ruled out. I don't know for sure but even with him out, you’ve still got Buccaneers WR Mike) Evans, (Buccaneers WR Chris) Godwin. They've got guys that can make plays. And they've got a quarterback that does as good a job as anybody being able to recognize, distribute the ball. It's going to be a great challenge but (I) feel really good about our guys' ability to match up.”

(On what the key factors are for the offensive line going into this matchup)
“I think it's the same thing. Understanding what a great job these guys do upfront defensively – they've got great players across the ball. They've got a great scheme that (Buccaneers Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Todd) Bowles runs, and I think it's being able to play as a unit, understanding the different things we want to try to do in the run game versus the variety of front structures that they present, and then being able to handle the variety of pressure looks in those pass downs. They do a great job of being able to give you a lot of different things that you have to handle. They've got linebackers that are legitimate pressure guys that can do a great job effecting the quarterback – in (Buccaneers LB Lavonte) David and (Buccaneers Lcool smiley Devin White – and those guys are excellent in coverage, but they have the ability to send more than four. They have the ability to rush three and play loaded coverage. They can send a lot more than four and there's a lot of really good players and they do an excellent job of being able to get the isolations and the matchups. But, our guys have to be able to step up and handle those the right way.”

(On what if he’d like to see TE Tyler Higbee more involved)
“I think so there were a couple opportunities that we were trying to. I thought he had a big third down conversion last week with the one catch that he did have, but he was active against the (Chicago) Bears. (TE) Tyler's (Higbee) always going to be a guy that we want to try to get involved. Think he is one of the more complete tight ends in the league. You're always at your best when we're able to get more plays off, get everybody involved, and keep people honest in terms of where the ball's going and how many different guys we can get touches. Tyler and (WR) DeSean (Jackson) are definitely two of those guys that you always want to be able to have involved.”

(On what it has been working with WR Cooper Kupp in the film room on expanding his principles)
“I think it's been a great collaboration, kind of like you've heard us talk about with (Qcool smiley Matthew (Stafford). I mean he's an extension of the coaching staff – the time that he puts in, the questions he asks, the details. He's as thoughtful as it gets and has (the) greatest ownership of any player that I've been around in terms of everything that's going on from an offensive and a defensive just structure standpoint. He wants to know what's going on with the game and totality. And so, it's been a lot of fun. He's always around. He's always asking great questions. He has such good insight and he's one of those guys that he keeps you accountable as a coach. And you get better as a coach because you want to make sure you have answers for (WR) Cooper (Kupp) and really for a lot of our players. But, Cooper is one of those guys that stands out. And so, it's been fun. It's been a learning process, but it's one that's ongoing, evolving and I hope to feel that way in Week 14 and 15 as well.”

(On Kupp’s development as a leader on the field and in meetings)
“It's funny. We had one of those 15-minute combine interviews with him and he was so impressive. I looked over at Yarbs (Wide Receiver Coach Eric Yarber) and said, ‘You better hope he doesn't want to coach. He might be taking that. He could coach the receivers too.’ So he's been fun to work with. I think he's only gotten better because of how conscientious he is. It’s fun to see when a really talented player puts the work in and you're seeing the work pay off based on the results that he's able to produce. And it's not exclusive to just when the ball's in his hands. I mean, you watch some of the stuff he's doing. (I) saw Matthew mentioned it, but he's the guy that's securing the edge on (WR) Van’s (Jefferson) touchdown on the third play of the season offensively. He’s doing so much for us. (WR) Robert (Woods) really does a lot of those same things. And those two guys are as selfless and as productive of receivers as you could ever ask for. So it's awesome to be around them.”

(On if the running back situation being a gametime decision creates complications)
“It doesn't because you you've got to plan for the worst-case scenario that he's not going. It ends up being a bonus if he is able to go. But, you work and make sure that you have a plan in alignment that those other guys are ready to step up. And if it is a no-go, then nobody's stressed out. And if it's a thumbs up, then that's a positive for us.”

(On how well suited RB Sony Michel is for the uncertainty of the playing time)
“I think he is very well suited because those guys, you never know. I mean, I don't think he anticipated Darrell getting his ribs injured in the game last week, but he came in, stepped up, did a great job. You don't ever really know exactly how the game's going to unfold, but you have to prepare yourself mentally and physically to be ready to play every single snap. That's what makes (Rcool smiley Sony (Michel) a pro. You could see he was ready to go. And it's a real credit to (Running Backs/Assistant Head Coach) Thomas (Brown) as well.”

(On how he feels about special teams and WR TuTu Atwell’s development)
“I think he's done a nice job. I mean, you're really looking at one snap that you can evaluate where if we get that block, there's a lot of space and he's an explosive playmaker. I like the decisions. I like the way that he's fielded the ball. And I'm looking to see him get more opportunities, so then we can really have some tangible examples in games to say, ‘Man, he's done a really good job.” It's such a limited inventory that I think we're all excited about seeing what this guy can do when the ball gets in his hands.”

(On how he feels about special teams in general)
“I feel good. Here’s what I feel good about, when I'm out there, and you guys see too, the process, the practice habits, the meetings, everything's in alignment with doing things the right way. Now we got to go be able to go execute and that's something that I am confident we have the right guys to be able to go get that done. Now we want to be able to see it come to life. We always talk about process over results. When you look at what's occurred, are these things fixable? Are these things that we can have solutions so that we don't have these things come up again? I feel like the answer is yes. And I'm hopeful to see that come to fruition on Sunday.”

(On if there’s a possibility that someone is elevated from the practice squad given RB Darrell Henderson Jr.’s availability)
“There is a possibility of that. (Rcool smiley Buddy Howell’s a guy that could potentially be activated. But if Darrell’s not able to go, then it'll be a good dose of Sony and (Rcool smiley Jake (Funk).”

CB Jalen Ramsey
(On what he has seen from Buccaneers QB Tom Brady through two games this season)
“He’s the (Greatest of All Time) G.O.A.T. He’s been playing well.”

(On what aspect of his game has he been playing well in)
“Everything that he's always done his whole career since he's been playing. He's the same guy. He's doing
a good job. Playing good. Leading his team.”

(On specifically what has he been doing well his whole career)
“Being a quarterback. He's doing a great job. Just leading his team. That's probably the most important thing is leading this team and doing the things that he needs to do, being an elite quarterback in the NFL. Doing good, getting the ball out quick. Those guys are playing well. (Qcool smiley Tom Brady, I don't know what else to say. Tom Brady. You know what I mean?”

(On having faced him twice and won both times)
“That's false actually, because he for sure beat me in the AFC championship game before which was the most important one. The two regular season games, I'm not going say they didn't matter because I feel like every game matters personally, to me it does. I think this is my fourth time playing Tom. Like I said, he is Tom Brady. He is the greatest to play the game, so there is just a lot of respect there. He does a good job of leading his team, having his team ready to play. That's one thing that I respect even more is just his team's always ready. No matter who it is.”

(On if there is such a thing as a measuring stick game)
“I think every week we do that, but that's more so something that y'all make up in the media stuff. I don't know, if that's what y'all want to write then sure, (laughter)”

(On the fact that they have been asking everyone so that is why they asked him too)
“Yeah. I think everybody around the NFL wouldn't necessarily say like a certain game is a measuring game. We judge ourselves on each game. As the season goes on, our expectations get higher and higher and higher and higher.”

(On what it was like for the DBs to problem solve against WR Cooper Kupp in practice)
“It was fun. I would say that. It was fun, challenging. We got a lot of respect for what they can do. But at the same time, we feel like we gave them a challenge too. We feel like we made them have to expand how they thought about some things. It worked hand in hand, we help each other out a lot.”

(On how it feels to see the offense have success in game on plays they practiced against)
“It feels good. Everybody has like a part of everything going on around here, right? So, it feels good. But, for them to go out and execute it during games is great to see just because that's what we want and that's going to help us get wins at the end of the day. And it's just exciting football, just as a fan of the game. So excitement, and that's where it comes from.”

(On what kind of matchup issues TE Rob Gronkowski creates)
“A lot. He does. But I think we will be fine. We got different guys who can cover him. We got all the confidence in the world in all our guys - whether it's a linebacker, whether it's a safety, or corners, or whoever it may be – we’ve got confidence in our guys. He is kind of like Tom. He's been doing it for a while, has been proven to be successful in doing what he does. You have to respect it at the end of the day.”

(On if he has worked with him a lot one on one in previous meetings)
“A lot? No, I wouldn't say a lot. But, I have a handful of times.”

(On if he has noticed any pre-snap tendencies that Tom does)
“If I did have any, I would not tell you (laughter). So next question.”

(On what it is like to know teams have to gameplan against him specifically)
“I feel like (DL Aaron Donald) AD would be the priority. So, wild guess there. I feel like AD would be the priority. So, I don't know. I guess I don't really think about it like that. He definitely is the priority for every team. I feel like that could potentially give me an advantage, that they are thinking about him first and then me, so cool I guess.

(On if he feels a little more amped up going against a quarterback like Tom Brady)
“Personally, no. Just because, like I said earlier, I take every game serious to be honest with you. There's not one game that's more important than the other for me personally. That's just how I play. Like I love every bit of every game. So, I take it all just as serious as any other game. But, it's definitely cool though. It's cool to be playing against somebody who you believe is the greatest ever do it.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky199September 24, 2021 02:05PM