Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, Special Teams Coordinator Joe DeCamillis, DL Aaron Donald - September 23,

September 23, 2021 05:35PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, Special Teams Coordinator Joe DeCamillis, DL Aaron Donald - September 23, 2021

Head Coach Sean McVay, Special Teams Coordinator Joe DeCamillis, DL Aaron Donald
Head Coach Sean McVay
(Opening Statement)
“Alrighty. First of all, I'm feeling good. I would have been out at practice yesterday. I had a little viral stomach bug and I just didn't want to leave any of our players susceptible to it, but I was here. I was just working out of my office. (I) feel good, much better today. Good to be back out here with the guys and looking forward to a good practice, just had a good walk-thru. (I) appreciate everybody's concerns, even though I know you guys didn't care (laughs).”

(On if he looks at this game as any sort of measuring stick given that the Buccaneers are defending Super Bowl champions)
“They've played great football. But for us, every single week is an opportunity to measure yourself against great opponents. This league is so competitive. These guys are playing really high-level ball. They picked up right where they left off at the end of the season with what they've done against Dallas and Atlanta last week. It’s going to be a great challenge, but it is our third game. I think it's important for the good teams to be able to show steady improvement. And I think there's been reflections of that through the first couple of weeks and looking forward to seeing a great challenge this weekend.”

(On what has he seen from Buccaneers QB Tom Brady since he’s arrived at Tampa)
“It's unbelievable. I mean the command, the consistency, the way he's throwing the football, the way that he is decisively recognizing things and getting the ball where it should go. I've always said this before, the best make everyone around them better, and that's what he's done. He's elevated the play of that team. It’s impressive to see and you can make the case that he's doing some things as at high a level as he's ever done. His career is well-documented and it's going to be a great challenge.”

(On OLB Leonard Floyd’s ankle injury)
“(It’s) something that it was kind of a nagging thing more than anything. So, we're just trying to get a grasp and get a real hold on it so that it doesn't linger throughout the year. We’re going to be smart with him again today. I think (Vice President, Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) feels good about some of the new treatment processes and procedures that we've implemented. He's responding well up to this point, but we'll sit him out today. Then we'll see what it looks like for his status tomorrow.”

(On if when he’s scheming against the Buccaneers defense it reminds him of his own)
“What reminds you of it is there's great players. It's a very different scheme in terms of the techniques and the fundamentals that they play with up front. But (Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Todd) Bowles’ defenses always do such a phenomenal job of applying pressure to the offenses. They have the ability to mix it up. They've got some guys they've added and try on, but there's some familiar faces that are really playing at a high level. I mean, you're seeing (OLB Shaquil) Barrett, you're seeing (OLB Jason) Pierre-Paul, what (DL Ndamkong) Suh's done. Last year when we played these guys, they didn't have (NT) Vita Vea and he is one of the best players in this league. He’s physical, he's violent. And then they've got two linebackers on the second level that run and hit and do things in both phases, defending the run and the pass as well as anybody. So, there's a reason why they've established themselves as one of the premier defenses in this league. They've got great players. They've got a great coach in Coach Bowles leading the way, but the techniques, the fundamentals, the philosophy of how they play is pretty different than our defense, but both very good defenses, no doubt about it.”

(On if he sees them as a better team now after Buccaneers Head Coach Bruce Arians said that his team was in the crawling stage of their development last year when the two teams played each other)
“I thought they were (a) pretty good team when we played them last November. And so, they've only gotten better. I mean you look at it, since they played Kansas City, I believe the week after we played them, and then they haven't lost since. They really played high-level football. Really, what I've seen from these last two weeks has been reflective of that. So, it's hard to argue with exactly what (Buccaneers Head) Coach (Bruce) Arians is saying.

(On if RB Sony Michel is starting this weekend)
“I'm not sure yet. We're seeing what (Rcool smiley Darrell’s (Henderson Jr.) status will be, but you can expect to see (Rcool smiley Sony (Michel). Whether he's taking the first snap or however many snaps he plays is kind of still to be determined.”

(On how unusual it is to game plan against a team that has all of its starters returning)
“It is. We played them each of the last couple of years, so there's been continuity with Coach Bowles still being there and you can kind of just see how their players have gotten better. They've gotten more comfortable. I guess I've never really thought of it that way, but there's a lot of familiar faces and that's not a good thing for when you're trying to go against these guys because (they’re) really good players. They've only continued to increase their ownership of what the intent is of what they're trying to get done. And I think they're definitely a very versatile outfit that can beat you in a variety of ways.”

(On if it’s easier to pick up on tendencies since it is the same players as last year)
“In some instances you can make the case, but I thought what was really impressive with what Coach Bowles did is their identity. They had the ability to kind of change their identity a little bit as the season went on and when they really hit their stride. You’re seeing them do a good job of kind of taking some things that maybe were offseason studies or things that they did at a high level after we had played them and implement them both against Dallas and Atlanta. So, there's a variety of different things that he can activate, but there's enough stuff that he's thrown at you. It's hard to pick up on any real tendencies from these guys.”

(On the offensive line ‘looking for work’ and what does that mean to him and what does he see from that group)
“They've played tough. They’ve played physical, really in both phases, not only protecting the passer, but also in the run game. I think it's been really encouraging that when we've had to run it in some of those situations, both against the Colts and the Bears, they did a great job getting removal upfront. I think they're playing as a unit. (Offensive Line Coach) Kevin Carberry has done a great job with these guys. I've really been pleased with that unit. It's always about the players, but Coach Carberry has come in. Him and (Offensive Assistant) Nick Jones and (Offensive Assistant) Zak Kromer have really poured into that group. And then you're seeing Whit (OL Andrew Whitworth) and (OL) Rob (Havenstein) and (OL) Brian Allen and Corbs (OL Austin Corbett) and (OL) David Edwards do a really good job. (I’ve) been very pleased with them.”

(On if the offensive line have their own little bubble of fun)
“They do. They're in their own world. These guys love football. If you ever just really want to have an appreciation for offensive linemen, just watch them the whole game and the selflessness that's displayed, all the different things that they do, some of the piles that they get caught up in. You’ve got to really love football to do what these guys are doing. They’re a connected group. It's a special rapport that they've been able to establish. I've really been impressed with (Qcool smiley Matthew's (Stafford) ability to connect with those guys. There’s a fun dynamic going on really with that offense in general. But those offensive linemen are certainly special individuals. There's no doubt about it.”

(On why the Buccaneers have been so pass heavy this year)
“(Buccaneers Qcool smiley Tom Brady. The skill players. To me, what I've always respected about Coach Arians and (Offensive Coordinator) Coach (Byron) Leftwich is the best way to move the football. And everybody wants to talk about balance and things like that, but it's about moving the ball and scoring points. They’ve done that at a high level as anybody. I just think with how well that they're throwing the football and the different elements that they can really put you in a bind with their personnel, their scheme, and then the guy at the switches is doing such a great job. It’s hard to argue with that approach. They can be physical now, too. If they want to really be able to come downhill at you and be able to present some things to marry their run and the pass with some of their stuff they do with the play action or some of their downhill direct runs. They can certainly shift that identity as well. That’s what the good offense is doing. They're certainly one of them.”

(On areas he and QB Matthew Stafford have grown together in over the past two games)
“I just think that experience. You can't ever simulate, like I mentioned to you the other day after the game, ‘Alright. We go down after we were up 17-6 and now it's 21-17. What's the look in the eye? How good do you feel about things?’ And I think it just continues to increase your confidence. The things that you thought were true are true when the live bullets are flying and it's real games that count. I just think his steadiness continues to stand out. He’s unflappable. (I) loved the way he responded after the one turnover. I think what also stands out to me is how quickly he can immediately communicate what he's seeing. That’s not necessarily before we have to get to the bench. He’s coming off and he's recognizing it. There's a reason behind everything that's going on. And that's really helpful for us to be able to move on to the next series, whether that's, ‘Hey, this was a good thing. Or we got to improve on that.’ That communication that can happen immediately when clock's ticking, especially some of the other things that I'm responsible for during the game is very helpful. And that's been a good thing these last couple of weeks.”

(On Buccaneers NT Vita Vea)
“I think it's because he's such a large individual that has such good ability, such good movement. He's got great football instincts, too. His ability to recognize whether it's concepts in the run game, or be able to read out for boots or play actions. Then be able to transition where he's defending the run to a pass rush. He’s got all the tools that you can really ask for. He’s a problem. He's a real problem.”

(On the Buccaneers being so good at defending the run game, if there is any temptation to forget the run game and just air the ball out)
“I think it's important to be able to keep people honest. I think a lot of it is predicated on, ‘Okay, what kind of game do they want to be able to make it?’ Those are the things that you got to be able to look at during the course of the week as your preparation kind of unfolds and your game plan unfolds. But then also during the game, ‘Okay, Hey, here's what we're seeing. This either aligns or doesn't align with the film’. And then we've got to be able to adjust or adapt accordingly. You like the balance, but like I said, it's about moving the ball and scoring points. Whatever we think is the best way to do that, that's the approach that we'll take.”

Special Teams Coordinator Joe DeCamillis
(On the last two opening kickoffs in the last two games)
“Well, it just depends situationally. We're going to try to be a team that knows how to cover kickoffs. On both of those, one was a leverage situation, and one was a missed tackle. So, you should've had plays that are inside the 20, which with our defense should be a huge help. What we don't want to get to is where later on in the season, we're not good at covering kickoffs. Because when you get in cold weather, when you get in the playoffs, maybe when you get to Seattle the next week, you're not going to have control over the conditions like you do here. So, it's something that we've prided ourselves on places I've been, and we're going to get it cranking and get going from there. I can promise you.”

(On what happened on the snap in Indianapolis)
“It was a play that we'd been practicing. You’d probably seen it if you guys were paying attention during that period because you’d been watching our period, right? So, it was just an execution issue, and we'll get it cleaned up from there. It's something that's never happened to me, obviously, but we'll get it squared away and it's just nice to be with the offensive group that can bail you out, like we did.”

(On if he’s ever seen anything like the snap in Indianapolis before)
“No, I never seen it and I don't want to ever see it again (laughter). Just so we're on the same page.

(On how surprising it was to see something like that)
“Very surprising, yeah. Extremely surprising.”

(On what kind of changes he was hoping to bring to the special teams and how he would rank how it’s going)
“I'm not pleased with where we're at in certain instances. Certain I am. I think (K) Matt Gay's done a heck of a job so far and we want to continue on that road. (P) Johnny (Hekker) at this point, when you look at it, he punted from the plus 40 going in. He's had two backed up punts, he hit one 46 and out of bounds against (RB Nyheim) Hines which was good to have. He's really had one punt that you'd like to have back. So, he just really hasn't had that many opportunities and really in the return game right now, we just haven't had a ton of opportunities. We really had the one return and that is the play that I'm probably as much irritated with as the punt, to be honest with you. Because that's a house call. If we get one block the way we're supposed to. That's just mis execution, we got to get it right.”

(On what’s happening with TuTu Atwell as a punt returner)
“So, we've three punt returns. Two were in what you call the safe area, right? I mean, you could try to put a returner back there, but you're not going to get any returns when the ball's being punted from the 50-yard line. That's really what it is. That's the one that I was referencing, was the one against Indianapolis the way it shot out. When you look at the tape, that thing has a chance to go. And unfortunately, we missed one block and that's what happened, but I'm pleased with where he's at and hopefully we can get him going in the right direction. I'm very pleased with where he's at from not having done it and in college really. And he's learned a lot since then.”

(On what type of challenge it is developing TuTu Atwell when he hasn’t had many opportunities)
“You just try to get him as many reps as you can. It was a challenge with him. He had the COVID situation, unfortunately I had the COVID situation, too. So, we just didn't get a lot of reps together, all that stuff, but he's getting what he needs right now and just keep cranking. And if you watch him out there before practice, he'll be catching them again.”

(On if WR Cooper Kupp or TuTu Atwell will be taking over safe area returns)
“That's more of a question for (Head) Coach (Sean) McVay really, to be honest with you. But we just want the best guy back there that’s going to make the best decisions. And I think as the season goes on, obviously TuTu will get better at that. And Cooper's a great security blanket back there. So, he's done it other times for other groups, and hopefully we can continue to do what's the smart thing to do.”

(On what the development of this year’s rookie class has been like and where he finds landmarks that lead to consistency)
“The more that they play with each other, it's going to help. I've had this situation before where you have young groups, and just have to really learn to play together. And I don't think the effort's a problem. I think when you watch them during practice, the way they prepare, the way they run, the way they're asked to do things and the way they have responded, I'm very pleased with that part of it. I just think experience is experience. How do you get it? You get it by playing. I think they’ll get better as we go, and I'm pleased with all of them. They just got to get that experience, and I think we’ll reap the benefits down the road for sure.”

(On if he is seeing more punt returns back inside the ten)
”Yeah. One of the things that's happened is because the punter is getting so much better at those inside the 20 balls-- what we call hang ten balls. The thing is, they drop it on the nine, they drop it on the eight, and now you're seeing guys catch those balls that you didn't before. Because there's a good chance that were going in the end zone. So I think that is really what's happened there. We see it all the time during the week. Guys fielding balls that you're like, ‘Wow, I can't believe they're doing that’. But I think that's really why to be honest with you.”

(On if his philosophy of when to field a punt and when not to has changed with punters becoming more accurate)
“Yeah, it's a game-to-game situation. Now we want to obviously make them execute for sure. But I think it's a game-to-game situation because you never know how high the ball is going to be. You don't know exactly what kind of punt it's going to be. And that's where the experience of a guy like (WR) Cooper (Kupp) helps you out.”

(On what went into the roster decision of keeping P Johnny Hekker over P Corey Bojorquez)
“Well, I mean a lot of things, right? I mean, (P) Johnny (Hekker)'s had a hell of a career here, and we didn't see a drop-off in performance in the training camp practices and in the practices here. So that was part of it. The other thing was obviously he's a guy that's so well thought of here by a lot of people. There's something to be said for keeping leadership too. So that was part of it too. But the kid (P Corey Bojorquez) had a heck of a camp. Obviously had a great game against Denver, but that's how it goes. We got some draft capital for him too. So, I think it was a win-win for both of us to be honest with you.”

(On how he determines a Long-Snapper position battle for a roster spot)
“Yeah, that was close. That was real close. We had two young guys that we liked. I had (LS) Matt (Orzech) before in Jacksonville, so obviously I had some experience which was good. But the biggest thing probably for the young guys is their protection on punt. And we just felt like he was a little bit better than (LS) Steven (Wirtel) was at that point. He's on a practice squad right now. He's probably going to make it in the league. So hopefully we picked the right guy and I'm happy for him being able to compete for a job.”

(On how he joked that media only wants to speak to him when things are going badly)
“Hey man, it's 33 years, dude. I've been doing this for a long time, man.”

(On how long it takes to get used to the idea that on special teams, things either go very well or very bad)
“Yeah. I don't think that's always the case, but I do think that it's amplified a lot more than it is on offense or defense. There are 65 plays in a game there are 25 or 30 plays for us. Obviously when something like that happens, it's a huge momentum swing. And it's also a play that people remember. They don't necessarily remember the left tackle missing his block and (QB Matthew) Stafford getting hit on something. Right? (*knocks on wood*) We don't want that, but I'm just saying they don't remember that. But obviously they're going to remember that play. I'm going to remember that play for a long time unfortunately. My wife won’t let me forget it that's for damn sure (laughter). But I've just gotten hardened with it. We played a horrible game against the Rams in 2017 when I was in Jacksonville. The next week, right after that we scored a touchdown that helped win the game. The next week after that, we scored another touchdown to help us win the game. And it was a young group. So, you just got to keep chopping wood and keep working. If the process is right and the guys are preparing the right way, you have got a chance.”

(On how much of a threat WR Jaydon Mickens is in the return game for Tampa Bay)
“Yeah. He is one of the guys that I was just talking about that scored the touchdown in 2017. He's definitely turned himself into a very, very serviceable good returner in this league. He had the big game against Dallas and really one was called back. He had a 35-yard punt return but it was called back. We don't know what his injury status is. We'll have to see, wait and see. You guys (Media) probably know more than I do with the injury report today. But he's a guy that we're going to have to really focus in on and do a good job against for sure.”

On what is has been like working with Assistant Special Teams Coach Dwayne Stukes)
“He is my guy, man. Steve Wyche probably wouldn't remember him, but he played for us in Atlanta. We ended up letting them go and then we've stayed together talking and all that kind of stuff. And then I was in Dallas, brought him in there for a year. And then we went to Chicago for a year or two years. And then unfortunately we weren't able to hook up until now, but I am glad to have him back, man. He was with me in Jacksonville too, and some stuff, so really glad to have him back. He does a heck of a job, man.”

DL Aaron Donald
(On what it’s like to go against Buccaneers QB Tom Brady)
“Just like any other week. Just playing against a veteran guy that’s been doing it a long time and playing at a high level – these last two weeks, these two games. We've got our hands full, but we’re prepared.”

(On what he’s seeing specifically from Brady that’s allowing him to play at such a high level of football)
“He’s just playing good football. I think they're protecting him well. He’s getting the ball out of his hands and guys around him are making plays, and that's what you’ve got to do to make plays in this league. And that's what they're doing right now.”

(On what it is about CB Jalen Ramsey’s personality or his play that has motivated him)
“Well, anytime you’ve got guys out there that’s flying around, making plays, that's going to pick you up. You feed off each other. That's what it's about. So, when you’ve got great players around you, that's going to push you to go out there and do the same.”
(On if he feels like this matchup will be a ‘measuring stick’ game)
“That was last year. This is a whole new year, new team. That's how we're going about it. That’s last year’s success. It's a whole new year.”

(On what they were able to do so well to keep Brady’s yards per attempt so low last year)
“I think guys just did it. We did a good job putting pressure on them. Guys just giving different looks. Did a good job covering things on the back end and guys had opportunities to make plays, get the ball in their hand, and took advantage of it.”

(On if he’s more eager to sack some quarterbacks versus others)
“No. Every quarterback I’m eager to sack.”

(On Buccaneers NT Vita Vea)
“He's a big guy, strong guy, powerful guy. He’s a stout nose tackle.”

(On if he agrees with Buccaneers Head Coach Bruce Arians about him being more powerful)
“You get stronger. That's one of the things you work on every year. You want to find ways to improve your game. We want to find ways to get stronger, find ways to be more productive, find ways to clean your technique and things like that. As you get older, you’ve got to continue to work on your craft and try to find ways to continue to improve because when you make a name for yourself and doesn't get easier, it gets harder. So, you’ve got to get better.”

(On how much he watches film)
“Offseason and during season too. You want to watch the things you’re doing you haven't struggled with, or you're not doing too well and try to find ways to improve it. That's what you're practicing for. And you studying that. Then you watch what you did in the game and try to translate it. You continue to improve.”

(On who he studies)
“I just study myself. I really don't study too many other guys. I just really just focus on myself and breaking down what I'm going against. Then, trying to find tendencies and things that I can take advantage of and that I can do to have success.”

(On the gloves he wore during the last game)
“They were good. I still missed some plays. But, I think it was a lot better, so there was improvement.”

(On the momentum of getting four stops inside the goal)
“What else do you use? I think your team feed off that. That's the way you want it to be. They got down there but at the end of the day we stayed together and we had the mindset we weren't going to let him in. And we did that. So, anytime you do that and you stay stout and you get the ball back to the offense with the opposite team not getting any points, it’s a win for us.”

(On what it’s like to be preparing for a team where the quarterback is a pocket passer)
“He gets the ball out of his hands first. So, you got to get prepared for that, find ways to get your hands up. There's going to be opportunities to where he’s going to have to hold the ball. And we’ve got to take advantage of that and that's getting sacks or getting hits on him. So, he’s not going to do too much running or do no running. But, he’s going to make sure. He's a smart quarterback that understands the game and he’s going to get the ball out of his hand fast.”

(On how he tries to read the quarterback)
“I just play my game, trying to find ways to beat the guy in front of me. And hopefully the quarterback still has the ball when I'm there.”

(On how the chemistry is of the defensive line)
“It’s been good. I think it’s been getting better. Guys are a little bit more comfortable understanding their roles and what they need to be doing and what we expect from them. And so far, from Week 1 to Week 2, it’s been a big improvement. I'm liking what I'm seeing as far as the guys making plays. Something to be happy about.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, Special Teams Coordinator Joe DeCamillis, DL Aaron Donald - September 23,

Shaky380September 23, 2021 05:35PM