Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LA Rams Transcripts - Bears Transcripts - Rams HC McVay, Rams QB Stafford, Bears HC Nagy, Bears QB Dalton, Bears QB Fields - 9/12/21

September 13, 2021 12:38AM
LA Rams Transcripts - Bears Transcripts - Rams HC McVay, Rams QB Stafford, Bears HC Nagy, Bears QB Dalton, Bears QB Fields - 9/12/21

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Rams QB Matthew Stafford, Bears Head Coach Matt Nagy, Bears QB Andy Dalton, Bears QB Justin Fields

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(Opening Statement)
“Okay. You know, great job by the team being able to get the win tonight. The Bears are a really tough outfit. And I thought defensively, what a good job holding up in the first half. The pick by David Long and the tip from Kenny Young was outstanding. I thought they just made some really key stops on fourth down. Offensively in the first half, we really didn't get a lot of chances. We only had 20 plays in the first half. But we were able to get some explosives. What a play by Van Jefferson, to be able to get up and have the awareness to get and have the awareness to finish that. And then in the second half, I thought we got a little bit of continuity. I think one of the best plays in the games was Robert Woods’ third down catch on the first drive in the second half. The third and long, we hit them on a deep in breaking route, does a great job with aggressive hands and then (Cooper) Kupp the next play. But I was encouraged to get the run game going a little bit. We can certainly build on this. But Matthew (Stafford) did a great job leading the way offensively. There was a lot of bright spots but also a lot of things that we can look to improve on. And that's exactly what we'll do after this.”

(On if the run/pass balance early on was by design)
“You know, I don't know. It's hard to say, Jourdan. I think in a lot of instances, I'm more worried about being able to move the ball and score the points. So you do want to be cognizant of that. I think the best offense has had the ability to do both. But I think it was more a result of minimal plays, but also being able to run some things that we thought was the smartest way to be able to move the football against a really tough defense. They did a good job of being stout at the point of attack in some of the runs. And they were doing things that kind of forced us to shift in the direction of throwing a little bit early on. And then I thought the balance got back to what we want in the second half. But they're a tough defense. They've done a great job, they've got great personnel, and that's always a factor for us, for sure.”

(On the explosive plays in the first half)
“It was exactly what we had wanted. And it was from a bunch of different guys. You look at Van (Jefferson), you look at Cooper (Kupp). Tyler Higbee had what I think it was a 37-yard catch.
You know, and then what an individual effort on the third down and long for Cooper when we threw him a little bubble screen. But Robert Woods made a lot of plays. I thought a lot of different guys made some great contributions and we still have some things that we can improve on. But I was really pleased with the offensive line as well. To go against that defense, those guys, that personnel, when you're talking about Khalil Mack, Robert Quinn. I got a ton of respect for Akiem Hicks. And so for those guys, to come away with just that one sack when we were backed up is a real credit to them and I was very pleased with them as a whole.”

(On the chemistry with Matthew Stafford)
“I thought he did a really good job, Nick. And, you know, we only threw it 26 times but he certainly made the most of those plays. And I thought he did a great job. To be able to get all those guys involved, the goal is really to activate all five eligibles. He did a nice job of being able to go where the coverage dictated. I think that's the most important thing. There's certainly some things that I know I want to be able to do a better job of moving forward for our offense. But as a start, the most important thing is we'll take the win.”

(On if he was eager to show this offense can throw the football down the field)
“Yeah, I don't know if you're really eager about it as much as you want to see these guys come out and play well and come away with a win, Gary. And that was something that we felt like in this game, what we thought they might play, there was really no inventory. You know, this was Sean Desai's first game as a defensive coordinator. I thought he did a good job. But that was something that we've emphasized. But it doesn't mean any time we have a shot called, it doesn't mean shot taken but the third play represented an amazing play by Matthew (Stafford) and by Van (Jefferson) to be able to make it. And Cooper Kupp, you know, you guys can go back and watch him securing the edge is what really enabled it to get off. And you don't have many receivers making the plays he's doing in the pass game, doing all that unselfish stuff as well. And that's one of the things that makes him great.”

(On what impressed him most about Matthew Stafford tonight)
“I think it was just his steady demeanor throughout the course of the game. Just like you had hoped you would see, that you had seen in practice and that you had seen from afar, but I think the second drive. Their first drive in the second half was what I thought was the most impressive. But now I'm thinking about what an unbelievable job he did progressing, finding Robert Woods on the last touchdown.
So there was multiple things. But I think the overall game management and I think the expectation.
You know, you could just see, there was a look in his eye. He had confidence in his teammates, he expected to play well. And, you know, he did a great job. It's hard to say that there was one thing, Jim. I loved everything that he did tonight.”

(On if Stafford met his expectations tonight)
“The expectations were for us to win the football game as a team. I'm always interested in putting together all three phases. But I thought he did a nice job controlling what he could control. I was really pleased in the second half. He did a great job of being able to make some conversions. We got some third downs. I thought the fourth down conversion to Van Jefferson on the crossing route in the first half was a big play. But there was a lot of good things and things we can go back and look at. But being right after the game, I was pleased with Matthew (Stafford) and he did a nice job tonight.”

(On Kenny Young’s performance tonight)
“Yeah. He did a great job. An that's what he's been going back to last year. I thought he picked up where he left off. He's had a great training camp. He's done a great job of really kind of demonstrating the versatility that he has, both being able to defend the run but also making timely plays in pass coverage.
That tip was all him. And then David Long did a great job finishing it. But he's been flying around. He's got great athleticism, toughness. And Chris Shula's done a great job with Kenny (Young) and very pleased for Kenny and want to see him continue to build on this.”

(On opening the regular season at home with fans in the stadium)
“It was electric. I think everybody wants to talk about this stadium. It is an iconic venue that Mr. Kroenke built. But I thought the players did a great job of giving the fans something to get excited about. And they came out. You know, you almost get goose bumps when you walk out for the pregame and you're kind of just looking at it and you realize how much the fans make the atmosphere and the environment. I can't even tell you how much better it felt because this is an incredible venue but it's about these fans. They did a great job and hopefully we'll have a lot more like that and it will just continue to build.”

(On what allowed Stafford to make the touchdown throw to Van Jefferson)
“Well, I think it was a great job by him being able to flip his hips and make an unbelievable throw. That's kind of one of those things. He's gifted. He's got a great ability to change his arm slot and make all types of throws whether it be short, intermediate, or down the field. You're not limited in anything you can do with him in the pass game. And hopefully we'll continue to build on the options and the opportunities we have moving forward.”

(On Stafford being the single captain to walk out at center field before the game)
“You can only send three guys out for the coin toss. I think those other guys decided they wanted to continue to warm up. because he was going to be the one making that decision. Those are some of the things I just kind of stay away from. I only have so much brain power for certain things. I just give them some parameters and get the hell out of the way on stuff like that.”

(On if there was anything symbolic about it)
“There was nothing symbolic about it. The quarterback was making the decision and so he'll be able to better answer that question than I will. All right. Thanks, guys.”

Rams QB Matthew Stafford
(On how he felt about his first game as a Ram tonight)
“It was awesome. You know, it was a complete team win. Obviously, our defense did a great job getting the ball back for us three or four times it felt like. Great job on fourth down a couple times turning the ball over. As an offense, it was tough kind of to get into a rhythm the first half. We only had four possessions, but we were explosive on some of those and made some big plays. You know, Sean (McVay) dialed it up great and our guys went out and executed. A lot to learn. Some good to take away from it and keep building on it. Obviously, some plays we'd love to have back like every single game.”

(On breaking down the first couple explosive plays)
“You know, just a play action on the first one to Van (Jefferson). He did a great job of getting behind the defense. Our guys up front did a great job on that one. I had all day. And I was able to shoot that one down to the field to him. He did a great job getting up and scoring which is always fun. And then the second one to Cooper (Kupp), that was a great call by Sean (McVay). Perfect coverage for the play. Our guys up front again gave me a bunch of time. It takes time for guys to get down the field. Cooper (Kupp) did a great job, again, just getting behind the defense and I was able to get it out there to a decent spot for him.”

(On the chemistry with teammates and being able to get different guys the ball)
“Yeah, that's when we're going to be at our best, when everyone gets involved in the game. I'm not sure how many different guys had catches, but it felt like a bunch. You know, those guys are talented playmakers. I'll do it a different way. So I'm trying to do everything I can to make sure those guys are able to show their abilities and go out there and play.”

(On how he picked this sweater for tonight)
“Kelly (Stafford) told me to wear it, so I'm wearing it.”

(On how it felt to finally get out on the field)
“A lot of anticipation for this game. You know, for me, it's a new experience for me. A new place, new stadium, new fans. The whole deal. But this team has embraced me and I really appreciate that. I've done everything I can to try to just work as hard as I can and get myself in this team. And they wrapped their arms around me and it felt good to go out there and play with them tonight. Such incredible players on this team. I'm lucky to be a part of it. I want to do everything I can to try and lead this team. It's where we want to go. Obviously, this is just one. Gotta keep building on this. But it felt great to get out there and go play.”

(On if it was difficult to adjust to a new offensive system and a new team)
“No, it's tough. It's a lot of work. It’s a lot of work for me and a lot of work for everybody. Sean’s (McVay) put in a ton of hours with me. Kevin O'Connell has put in a ton of hours with me. Our offense has put in a ton of hours just trying to bring me up to speed. I'm the new guy in a system where everyone kind of knows what's going on. So I just appreciate all the hard work and the patience they've had with me to get me to this point. And I'm trying to go out there and grasp it and lead us in the right direction.

(On if he felt comfortable tonight)
“Yeah, I mean, once the ball is snapped it's football. There's new plays in a new stadium, throwing to guys in a different uniform. But I'm happy where I'm at and I'm pleased with how it went tonight.”

(On if we are gaining confidence in the redzone early in the season)
“Yeah, obviously, we didn't come away with the points there, and didn’t come up with the touchdown on one. I felt like we should have. That was on me. I wish I could have given Robert (Woods) a better ball, the second or third drive, whichever one it was. But, yeah, Cooper (Kupp) didn't score on the one.
And then it was great to see the guys upfront just push the line of scrimmage and let (Darrell) Henderson walk in. I thought it was great on that play. I thought it was great late in the fourth quarter, just being able to run the clock out. I mean we were running the ball. Cooper (Kupp) had a huge third down and 13 conversion on just a bubble behind the line of scrimmage and our guys outside blocked for him.
So it's fun to be a part of those drives where you're winning the game andyou're able to put kind of put the finishing touches on it.”

(On his emotions after his first touchdown throw)
“I was feeling good. You know, that's a pretty good start. So, I was happy for our team, happy for Van (Jefferson). He's had a great offseason, a great lead up to the season. And to catch it, fall down, get back up and get in the end zone, that's a huge play, a huge momentum thing. And especially right after our defense got us a turnover and got us the ball back. A big play after big play is a lot of fun to be a part of. I don't know, man, I was jacked up and having fun out there.”

(On if he saw Cooper Kupp get into the endzone after he was knocked down on the touchdown throw)
“No, I mean I got hit a little bit late. I didn't know there was a penalty until 10 minutes later. But I got hit and kind of rolled over, tried to get up as fast as I could to see if it was a good one and then I saw him trotting in the end zone. I figured it was in a good spot but didn't get to see it all the way. It seemed like it was a good one.”

(On Jalen Ramsey being one of the first teammates around him after the touchdown throw)
“Yeah, I noticed it. It was awesome. You know, he's a great teammate. He's a guy that pushes me and pushes our entire receiving core. Everybody's he's guarding, that's as good as a match up you're going to get in this league and we get to see every single day. I tell those guys all the time, this is as good a practice I've ever been a part of. We've got extremely talented guys on both sides of the ball.
It’s a lot of fun to go out there and compete. At the end of the day, if we get the best of them one day, they’re going ‘Man, they’re on our team.’ And if they get the best of us one day, we’re going, ‘Shoot, I love having that defense on our team.’ So it was cool for him to be out there celebrating with me. I was having fun. He seemed like he was having a good time too.”

(On if he got a game ball and what that means to him)
“I did. It's awesome. It means a lot. I was in a place for a long time. Getting to a new place and being able to come out, you know, week one, night one, and get a win and play the way we did, it feels good. A lot of work to be done. But it's definitely a good start. Thank you, guys.”

Bears Head Coach Matt Nagy
(Opening Statement)
“To start off in regards to the game, obviously we're disappointed in the loss. We gave up some explosive plays and then we did not execute in the redzone a few of those times to start the game in particular. To have the interception there and to have the third-and-one and have the false start. I thought big picture that, offensively, we were able to move the ball and do some things. We knew kind of what their game plan and their strategy was going to be. Then to get it to 13-7, to come out in the third quarter and give up that touchdown and then for us to come back and have a 16-play drive almost 10 minutes and get (Bears’ Qcool smiley Justin (Fields) in the end zone, I thought that was good. But then, just at the end there, being able to not stop them and then not score offensively, that's where it got away. When you become one dimensional against this team, look out because they're pretty good at what they do and that's where they tee off on you. So, once we got behind and got one dimensional, that was a little bit more difficult. (We) have to get back to really checking out the tape. It's Week 1, we know that we can improve so that's what we'll do. Our guys need to make sure that they evaluate themselves, are tough on themselves, and then we as coaches too.”

(On what went into how they used QB Justin Fields)
“It was hard to tell if we knew exactly how many snaps he was going to get, but again, once you get behind, like we did, and you get back a few scores, that's when you get more into the two-minute mode. That's probably why there was a little bit less. But who knows? I think that for him, the times that he got in there, that he did well, it being his first game. (Bears’ Qcool smiley Andy (Dalton) did a good job to help and extend some of those drives and us going through that whole deal of how it's going to go. We’ll continue to keep growing with that stuff and see what we want to do with that. In the end, and again, I go back to that touchdown run, Justin did a great job and early in the game on the first throw, too. So, the film, going back and just watching the film in general, regardless of Justin or Andy, just in general and see where we were. I thought we got the run game going pretty good, which was good, but we got to use this to grow and we got to stay positive.”

(On going for multiple fourth-down attempts at the end of the game and if he felt like he needed to do that to keep up)
“Not necessarily. Maybe a little bit once you get a flow of seeing where things are. Early on, it was more so where we were on the field. We felt comfortable. We felt good with the plays that we called in those scenarios. I think we were 0-4 on fourth down. We got to be better there and produce so that we can keep the chains going. So we'll do that. But at the same point in time, there was nothing too specific, other than I think maybe a coincidence that we want to just be a little bit more aggressive in those areas.”

(On the dangers of going for it on fourth-and-fifteen)
“Some of it's just the feel of where you're at end. There were things, offensively, that one play when (Rams’ DL) Aaron (Donald) had that sack, we had a double move out there. It was a little pump play and he made a play. That's what he does. Sometimes there's a risk-reward when you take a shot. That can happen at times. And if that doesn't happen, then maybe we have a guy and we hit it down the sideline, but that's what you're dealing with when you play this team. That's kind of what I was getting to the other day with Aaron (Donald). You can contain him, but then at a crucial point, because I still felt like we were moving the ball and getting into the big redzone, but then he made that play and it made it second-and-forever and then third-and-forever and then trying to go for (it) on four.”

(On if playing Fields in spurts can be good for his development)
“Well, it being the five plays, I think that it's when and how you do it. You got to have a little feel to it and see, but again, you got to have a why as to how you do it. I think we didn't really know the exact amount of plays that it would be. Could have been more, could have been less. But once we got behind a couple of scores there in the fourth quarter, we knew it was going to probably limit a few of his stuff.”

(On how he accounts for the explosive plays that his team gave up)
“That's what we got to do. I got to get with (Bears’ Defensive Coordinator) Sean (Desai) and watch the tape and see the why, see who it was because they had had too many. You can't give those big plays up for touchdowns. They got a good quarterback back there. It's going to make plays. And he had that one-third down, he loves dagger routes, and he had that one big third down across the middle. I think it was third-and-10. Early on in the game, they ran that double move on the post route. Again, I got to get to the tape and see the why. We got to get that fixed. But I have a lot of belief in our guys. I really do. Our guys, they know that we can play better. It’s not about, for us, not about overreacting. We got to stick together, just stay together, get better. That’s a good (football team). You have to give a lot of credit to (Rams’ Head Coach) Sean McVay and that team. They got good players, they're well coached and I have nothing but respect for them.”

(On losing four left tackles in Week 1)
“(Bears’ LT) Larry (Borom) has an ankle and (Bears’ LT) Jason (Peters) has a quad, so we'll see where that's at. When you have that happen - I thought Elijah (Wilkinson)came in, I got to see how he played, but we do have a little bit of depth there for those situations , but certainly against this defense, that's not really what you want. Not with Elijah (Wilkenson), but just losing two tackles.”

(On if the safety was supposed to pick up Rams’ WR Cooper Kupp on the deep pass into the endzone)
“I don't know. Until I see that tape, I don't know. But that's something we can't have happen.”

(On what did QB Andy Dalton say to him about the interception in the endzone and how he felt being substituted with Fields)
“No because they knew and we knew when we practiced it. They know the progression of those plays. So, I don't think that had anything to do with that. The kid tipped the ball and then made a great catch too. But the big picture for us is, ‘Okay, we have a big run to start the game. You have a 41-yard run, you get down there, the tempo’s going and you're good to go. It's third-and-one, and then boom penalty.’ Now all of a sudden, you look up and you don't even get three points, they get the ball. So that's where I think we got to grow. It helps momentum wise. It helps you when you come out with nothing. We also talked about this was going to be a slug fest early on in the first quarter. We talked about there's going to be some punches thrown and how do you react to it. Coming in at halftime 13-7, the way the first half went, we were okay with that. We wanted to come out now and finish the third and fourth. That’s what we didn’t do. So, we've got to get better there.”

(On downsides of QBs going in and out)
“That’s something that we got to keep an eye on because you want to make sure that when you're doing it, like going into this game, we know that we're going to do that with Justin (Fields) so that he feels comfortable and knows exactly what plays he's going in for, and then situationally know how we're going to use him. I don't think that's a bad question at all. I think that's real. I think that when you go through these situations or these experiences, you have to look at all of that stuff because you want to make sure that you're taking care of both guys the right way.”

(On being set on using Justin in isolated plays or gauging as he went)
“No, we had a plan and we stuck to our plan. We knew where and when we were going to use them and we stuck to that. We'll see where that goes and how we do it. But, I think, we all understand that, for us, strategically we'll see where we go with that without giving anything away.”

(On two veteran safeties not touch a guy on the ground)
“That's definitely a learning lesson to make sure you touch him when he's down. That's what we were looking at and what they were looking at. It's not for lack of effort with those guys. It's really not. I think these guys, they care. What they'll do is that he'll get out there and he'll make sure and see why that happened, number one, and then number two, we have to finish, you know, everything we do is we finish. Now, as our challenge, after one week, we got to go back. That was real football now for everybody, right? On all three phases, that was real football. There are some positives, there are some negatives, and that's for really all 32 teams right now. So we have to make sure we stick together, which we will, and create a plan, and get ready for next week.”

(On if it’s disheartening to see the defense play the way they did)
“Well, they would tell you that because, for them, they have higher standards. They understand too, the turnover thing, the takeaway, we talked about that all training camp, right? Let's get turnovers, let's get takeaways. Sometimes schematically teams aren't going to let you get after them with the ball out real quick. I think Stafford was getting the ball out pretty quick today. But then when you do have opportunities to make plays, you want to be able to do that. So, we have to go back to the drawing board and it'll be, you know, Sean's first time going through this, so we'll go ahead and see where he would have maybe called something the same or different and get with them. Sean was great on the headset. Very calm. Understands that he's going to challenge these guys. This is not going to be good enough for him, or us, or the players. They know that. The complimentary football thing where you're getting stopped. I thought the one time that we did it was when we punted the ball, we got them backed up, right. We got the sack, we got the football, we went down and scored. That's what we need more of, being able to work together, complimentary. And then again, you say, where didn't you do it to start to the game? We had a big kickoff return. We get the ball, we're moving it, big run down there, and then don't finish it. So, we have to be better there.”

(On the situation when they were at the 4th and 15 and the play selection)
“Yeah, at that point in time, again, more of just probably a gut feeling of we felt good about the play. We knew we were going to have to be protecting right there. That's the one thing when you get into those long down in distances, we know that stuff can happen. You could probably look at it a couple of different ways, but we felt good about it right there.”

(On what stood out about what Fields was able to do out there)
“When you go back to the very first play when he went out there, right, and was able to make a throw. That was an RPO. He made a decision to throw the ball off of a look that we had. So right there to start the game, I thought that was great. And then he was involved on the sideline. And then when we got down into the red zone, at times, we had a couple of things in for him that worked and some that didn't work. But when he got down in the redzone, again, he did some great things there too. So, we just have to keep having him grow and keep staying positive, but he's certainly a weapon.”

Bears QB Andy Dalton
(On what his intentions were before getting picked off)
“Yeah, I was going to (Bears WR Darnell) Mooney on that one and unfortunately it got tipped, and when balls get tipped in this league, they more times not end up in the other team's hands. And so unfortunately it happened. It was a really good drive for us. I thought we kind of set the tone early with how we were wanting to play. But, unfortunately, we weren't able to finish that one.”

(On how odd it is for QB Justin Fields to come in for one snap here and there)
“Yeah, first time doing it. But, we've got some good stuff for him and obviously it helped us. He was able to score a touchdown. We're trying to do and find ways to put the ball in the end zone. it's just kind of part of how we're going to play.”

(On how the two-quarterback system has affected him)
“It doesn't affect me at all.”

(On being conscious of the left tackle situation)
“I think it's a good front, obviously, and when you have injuries, guys have to step up and play. I think just the kind of the way this defense plays, they limit the big play and they make you just kind of move the ball down the field. You see the drives that we scored on. I mean, I don't know how many plays there were, but you had to find a way to get first downs and keep moving ball all the way down the field. You're not going to get very many explosives against this team.”

(On how much things open up when RB David Montgomery was running the way he did)
“David ran really hard and it's fun to see because you've seen it all camp, and know what all he can do. And now you get him in game atmosphere and for him to run the way he did, I love to see the way he played.”

(On his takeaways from the touchdown drive with 16 points in ten minutes)
“To able to convert on third downs - that's one of the things that you have to be able to do. You have to keep drives going, keep finding ways to keep getting these first downs. And 16 plays - that's a long drive.’

(On what he saw on the play where he converted the third down with Bears TE Jimmy Graham in a one-on-one)
“It was Jimmy one-on-one and it's basically what it was and gave him a shot. He made a great catch and it got us down there, and the adjustments, they were punched in after that.”

(On if he had other players that you have a shot lined up and it just, they just took it away)
“No, I think just kind of the way that they play and we knew that we were going to have to just keep moving the ball down the field. That one, we had a shot and, unfortunately, they were able to get back and get me on that one.”

(On what the tone is in the locker room after the loss)
“It's a long season. I think everybody understands that. And I think if you look at the way the division shook out today, we're still in the same position. We have to look at today. We've got to find the areas that we need to get better at and things that we need improve on and get ready for next week.

(On if he was surprised that they went through so many fourth down attempts)
“I think being aggressive is a good thing and we had opportunities. We were close on all of them. I think it's just kind of the way that we want to play.”

(On what required the timeout after the interception and penalty)
“I think just the clock running down and getting everything situated.”

Bears QB Justin Fields
(On what it was like getting his first taste of NFL action)
“It felt great finally getting out there in some real NFL action with the starters and stuff like that. But, it wasn’t weird of me running in and out just because this past week we were practicing some of that stuff so I was used to it.”

(On how he stays engaged on the sideline when he’s not playing)
“Yeah, so earlier in the game I was pretty much acting like I was in the game. So when coach would say to play through the mic, I would just repeat it to myself and kind of act like I was saying it in the huddle. That’s pretty much how I was staying engaged and just making sure my legs were warmed up in case he called my package out there.”

(On what he saw on the touchdown run)
“That’s just a regular read option. Basically, reading the end, he froze a little bit and I thought I could beat him around the edge so I just tried to get the ball in the endzone, so pretty simple.”

(On what his expectation was for the number of snaps he would get in the game, and if it played out how he thought it would)
“I came in the game not expecting a certain amount of snaps. I was just ready to play whenever coach called my name. I wasn’t expecting a certain amount of snaps at all.”

(On the first throw being an RPO, and what he saw)
“Yeah, I just saw free access in boundary with (Dcool smiley Jaylon (Johnson) on (Dcool smiley Marqui (Christian), so I just took that little 5-yard speed up.”

(On what he gains out of 5 snaps in the first game)
“You get a feel about the atmosphere, and see how fast those guys are coming. It’s different behind the O-line, and the D-line and stuff like that, so it’s different when you’re actually on the field rather than being on the sideline. You just kind of get that experience in there and just being out there and getting used to the speed and stuff.”

(On what it felt like in the endzone when he scored)
“It was awesome. Of course, first career touchdown. I just wanted to celebrate with them. Of course, Cole (Kmet) those guys were excited, we were just talking about that in the locker room. He almost ran me over but, you know, we were all excited for sure. I just celebrated with my teammates.”

(On if he kept his touchdown ball)
“Yeah, I’m definitely going to keep the ball, sure.”

(On if he is excited to see how his role evolves throughout the season)
“I’m excited to be a part of this team, so however my role plays out I am going to be here for the team, and whatever this team and Coach (Matt) Nagy need me to do to help us win I am going to do.”

(On if he stopped to take in the moment of it being his first game)
“I’m not going to lie, I was doing that during the game. I was like, ‘Yeah, this is crazy.’ Then at halftime I was like, ‘Yeah, this is still crazy.’ It was definitely awesome getting out there and just being out on the field. Earlier today I was thinking I never thought I’d be in this position so just me being here is amazing and I am just grateful for it, for sure.”

(On what he felt looking around the stadium for the first time)
“It’s just crazy. When I was a kid, I was kind of a realist so I never really thought I would have the talent, growing up to make it into the NFL. It’s just crazy seeing myself here and just seeing God working, and just me being here in this moment.”

(On what he gained and learned from spending the first week doing scouts)
“I was just trying to do my best at practice and pretty much torch our defense every time I was out there with the first team defense and the scout offense. I’m definitely taking every rep seriously and try to get better every play and whatever scout team play that they have I try to kind of correlate it to our playbook and try to read it like our offense. So, definitely I’m getting good work with those guys.”

(On if he is able to see the effect that practice will have on his play down the line)
“Yeah, for sure. When I’m doing scout offense stuff, I’d do probably more stuff that I wouldn’t necessarily try in the games, so it’s good seeing what I can and can’t do throwing wise and stuff like that. So, I can definitely try some stuff that I wouldn’t try in a game right now. But, as I progress and get better, I’d definitely be more comfortable doing some of those things in the game.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky333September 13, 2021 12:38AM