Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, CB Jalen Ramsey - September 2, 2021

September 02, 2021 04:33PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - Head Coach Sean McVay, CB Jalen Ramsey - September 2, 2021

Head Coach Sean McVay, CB Jalen Ramsey

Head Coach Sean McVay
(On roster move of OLB Chris Garrett)
“We just put him on COVID IR (injured reserve) and then we also did (OLB Ogbonnia) “Obo” (Okoronkwo) and (OL) Tremayne Anchrum (Jr.) on the temporary IR because we're carrying over those rules from last year. We'll be able to get them back sooner than what a normal year kind of entails.”

(On how he can bring football back to LA and help the Rams make their mark)
“I think our guys have done a really good job of establishing themselves as a winning franchise and a good product that fans want to come see. Obviously, last year was so different, but this iconic stadium Mr. (Stan) Kroenke built – I know these guys want to do a great job of making it come to life and what an opportunity and what a platform. For us, our job is to put out the best product of football in all three phases and that's what we're focused on. The fact that you get to do it in a great market like LA, in front of our fans, and in this amazing stadium makes it that much sweeter. But, our job is to make it a product that fans want to come out and see and be proud of what these guys do and how they compete.”

(On if they openly acknowledge the Super Bowl in meetings)
“You guys ask our guys all the time about it so they can't help but answer to it. To me, that's so far in the distance. Every single year is a new year. What we're focused on is getting ready to really start our Chicago (Bears) preparation and when you give yourself a chance to be relevant in those conversations, only if you take care of your business proceeding that. And so that's where our focus is. That's where my focus is and that's where our players are. Now, if you ask them and you say, ‘Hey, do you want to play in the Super Bowl in your home stadium?’ I think everybody would say, ‘yes,’ but they know the way that you get there is by being totally and completely present.”

(On if they’ve cracked the book open in Chicago yet)
“Yeah. I mean you're familiar with, okay, new defensive coordinator. They've got some continuity on the offensive side of the ball, but you know they're going to have a new quarterback. They have continuity at special teams coordinator. So you look at that, but we have been mainly focusing on ourselves and then we'll really start to digest and kind of get into the early phases of the game planning. And we've kind of been doing that in our own way, but it's about us right now. And then Monday, we'll get a bonus day and really start that Chicago prep.”

(On the pros and cons of going from preseason to regular with an extra week off in between)
“It's really pretty similar to the way we've approached it in years past, just cause a lot of the guys that were counting on having played in that last preseason game anyway. So, it's kind of a similar rhythm and routine. What's different is the three days that are mandated to give the guys off right now where they're off now. Today, we finished a little bit earlier – but they're off on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. And so I do trust the leadership on our team to be able to, you know, have those guys be able to live their lives, but also make smart decisions. I mean, we're seeing it all over the country. People that are vaccinated are being affected by COVID, especially this Delta variant. That's something like I mentioned a couple of days ago, you're concerned about, but we want to be able to still live our lives, but minimize those risks options that can sometimes be out there in these other environments and atmospheres.”

(On if the three days off is for coaches as well)
“Yeah. You know what? I think it is important. We'll work a little bit tomorrow morning and then we'll have the weekend off. Now, guys will kind of do some stuff on their own. But think it is important, especially once you get ready to start this season, that they get their time with their families because during the season, it takes a lot of sacrifice for the families – for the wives, for the kids – and so that is something that, uh, doesn't go lost on me.

(On how he found Assistant to the Head Coach Carter Crutchfield)
“It's really, it's a credit to (Director of Football Affairs) Jacques (McClendon). You look at the numerous hats that Jacques’ worn. I always talk about when people take what their role is and then they kind of redefine it because they do such a good job. When I first started in 2017, Jacques McClendon was hired as leading the player engagement program. He's done so many other things outside of that, but I also think recruiting and onboarding some really talented people in our building, something that he's had a huge influence on, and (Assistant to the Head Coach) Carter (Crutchfield) kind of represents that because he found him, he's known about him and then got a chance to get some exposure to a lot of really important people in our building. And everybody is excited about adding Carter.”

(On if he still has any questions regarding training camp)
“I feel like we're in a good place. I think once you start playing those games, that's really when you get a lot of the answers, but the confidence I have in the players that we’re counting on, the coaches feel really good. Feel as good as you could feel going into this. We know that we've got a good week of preparation ahead, but I'm really looking forward to seeing our guys compete next Sunday.”

(On how he decided to give QB Matthew Stafford a veteran’s day off yesterday)
“Just that he's played for a long time. Wanted to just be able to give him a couple of days and really give him yesterday just to kind of just take that. In a lot of instances, I kind of defer to (Vice President of Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) and his group on, ‘Alright, unless there's certain things. I altered the schedule based on knowing, okay, if we're going to give Matthew kind of a rest day, we'll get some good work in here and then he'll know he'll have the next couple of days to really hit the ground running full speed.’”

(On if he had to convince Stafford to take the rest day)
“Oh yeah (laughter). If you ask him, he's not going to take that. So, it's ‘you're off right now.’ He's done a great job and I'm really excited about him leading the way for our team.”

(On what he remembers about the first really competitive periods of training camp last year and how that started to spread)
“It was really fun because I think they represented, especially our defense, and the new scheme and (former Defensive Coordinator) Brandon (Staley) and the rest of our defensive coaches doing such a good job of providing clarity. I thought it was evolving as the season went and I thought we got better and better as the season went. One of my favorite things was the response after the Buffalo game and how well they played, really consistently, throughout the year. From the jump the guys did a really nice job. I can remember he was voted a captain yesterday, but (S) Jordan Fuller's maturity really stood out if you're just talking about isolating players. (DL) Aaron (Donald) and (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) do such a good job. (Former S) John Johnson (III) was such a special leader, as was (former DL) Michael Brockers, for us. I'm seeing guys step up, but there's been an evolution and I think it always starts with the players. How do we really take our players, put them in the best positions to be successful, and then how can we apply some schematic different things to try to create an advantage and put those guys in those best spots? But, it's always about the players first and that's where I thought our guys did a good job and I think you're starting to see that evolve this year.”

(On if he thinks he has an advantage as a team)
“A lot of it goes back to if you have success, then there's going to be a lot of mimic and emulating what that looks like. The players make it come to life, but I thought the intrigue and interest you see (Denver Broncos Head Coach) Vic Fangio and the respect that I have for him, and that he's garnered around the league at multiple stops. Brandon learned from him, kind of put his own spin on some things, and now (Defensive Coordinator) Raheem (Morris) will really be able to do the same thing. Raheem's agility as a coach I think has really been illustrated. He’s such a charismatic, special leader. When you guys get a chance to talk to him, you can't help but feel that. But also, you talk about mastering the defense while then keeping a lot of the continuity, but also being able to put his spin on it. Because the way that you call a game as a play caller, while you might have the same philosophies and systems, what comes out in crunch time and those got-to-have-it moments is really important for the defensive coordinator and your key players to have that clarity. I think our guys have that right now and we’ll see it come to life next Sunday.”

(On if his offense philosophy will change at all with Stafford and WR DeSean Jackson in the mix)
“We'll see next Sunday.”

(On if the philosophy has changed at all specifically for him or if he has the same mindset)
“I'd say a little bit of both.”

CB Jalen Ramsey
(On how things have been going the past week of practice)
“Good, I feel like.”

(On if Super Bowl LVI being held at SoFi Stadium gives the team a bit more incentive to want to play in it)
“Oh yeah, a little extra, I would say. It would be cool to play at your own home stadium for the Super Bowl, but that's the goal for everybody - is to be playing in February anyway.”

(On how eager he and his teammates are to play in SoFi Stadium with fans and to see the whole thing come to life)
“Very eager. Super excited for that. Last year was very different say to least. We think this year will be the best year ever because we didn't have it last year. And then it's going to be amplified - the new stadium with fans. It'll be fun. We're excited.”

(On what being named a team captain means to him)
“It's an honor, especially here. I've been on teams before where it didn't really matter as much, but here in L.A. it matters a lot. It's a huge honor. I don't take it lightly.”

(On where they are at as a defense)
“(We are) getting to where we need to be. That's what I’ll say. That's where we (are) at right now. We (are) getting to where we need to be. We'll be there when the time is right.”

(On if he thinks this year’s defense will be similar to last year’s defense)
“Different. Of course, different. I don't even want to compare it to last year's group. It’s a new team, new defense, some new guys, new faces in different spots. It is what it is. We ain't going to think about the past. We just going to rock out with where we at right now. What we are doing right now, that's what's important.”

(On how he is going to utilize the next three days)
“Relax a little bit. Probably see my daughter and do a little Pilates. Just chill. Get my mind right and get ready for next week.”

(On what he’s seen from S Jordan Fuller and how he’s gained the respect of the team)
“We’ve seen his growth since he stepped on the field here, honestly. It’s been special to see. He’s taken on different roles and leadership roles really well. He’s not only a captain of the team, but he (is) our guy in the DB room too. I say things and I got a little say so and I lead in my own way, but he challenges me, even, to be better and be better leader. I was super proud of him, super happy for him. He deserves it honestly. So, I was super happy for him.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky393September 02, 2021 04:33PM