Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - General Manager Les Snead - August 25, 2021

August 25, 2021 05:01PM

General Manager Les Snead
General Manager Les Snead
(On the evaluation of running back group from the time RB Cam Akers got injured until now deciding that the addition of RB Sony Michel was necessary)
“Yeah , probably because of the timing of (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) right before camp started, we had time on our side to do two things ­– try to figure out if we needed to add reinforcement per se, and also time to figure, especially (Rcool smiley Jake (Funk) and (Rcool smiley Xavier (Jones) and even (Rcool smiley Raymond Calais to a certain extent, players that were either drafted this year or had not yet played in games, or had not (inaudible) – the practices, the combined practices and the games. All those variables led us to agreeing to bring (Rcool smiley Sony Michel to the Rams from the Patriots.”

(On if there were other options along the way)
“At this point in time, there are always let's call it other options. But early in the down, we identified Sony for many reasons. Number one, being his experience – and experience, meaning like a player who has carried the ball in big games and in those big games, where there have been big moments, big drives, big series – is the experience of where he played, how he was coached. So, he was one of those players. If we were going to go the route of experience, he was someone who would definitely eying him from the start. And a part of that is the Patriots happen to be pretty dang deep at running back – whether it's their experienced players or even a couple of players on their team with less experience that are having really good preseasons, which probably allows them to think that we can make this move. But like I said, there are always other options. And it's right here. You're looking for if somebody available now, is somebody on a team currently is there, is there some young player that was drafted this year that might be available? So, that's what you're always trying to navigate. That's the nice thing about having preseason games is you can actually sit and watch basically every running back who has run the ball and preseason with the click of a couple of buttons.”

(On when he has to make another roster move)
“We had to make a roster move really this morning. So technically 1:00 (p.m.) Pacific (Standard Time), but we ended up releasing (LS) Steven Wirtel who was vying for the long snapper job here.”

(On what made Michel an appealing addition to offense and why trading for him was the right move)
Sony – that's going to be a complementary backfield. What he does bring is this element of make a cut, get north and south and get north and south with some force. The physics that he brings to the table – let's call it a flavor of genre that we felt like complemented our group. Second part that we like, I think you could just answer. Actions speak louder than words. We like Sony, Michel and we traded for Sony Michel probably for those reasons that I mentioned before. And also, those reasons blended with that specific experience that I described earlier.”

(On if they sought insight from Assistant Head Coach/Running Backs Thomas Brown through the process of acquiring Sony)
“Having the Georgia alumni ties there, he knew the kid personally. Anytime you can get insight within your own building, it’s a little more quality than maybe third-party insight.”

(On how the trading process has evolved with compensatory picks)
“Well, interestingly now, 2017 began to be able to trade compensatory picks, but then now, recently there has been an evolution of the rule where, you can't necessarily trade them until you actually were rewarded them. So, we've gone through all of that. So, I think us in the NFL is learning how to do that. But the nice thing, I think that compensatory picks – eventually there going to be your draft picks, so to be able to trade them and instead of not being able to trade them does seem like an obvious evolution then has probably evolved for the good over time.”

(On how he feels about the offense with the acquisition of Michel and the roster overall)
“We're definitely jacked about where we're at as a roster. I think we're jacked about what we want to accomplish in ‘21 and in what we might be able to and then you do get a curve ball, and we hadn't gotten our last Pro Bowl, we hadn't faced our last adversity for sure. But when you lose someone like Cam Akers and what he brings to the table, it definitely puts a dent in the roster. As I said, you're not replacing Cam at all. He's probably at a level of – whether it's running the ball, catching the ball, and then just probably some intangible-type leadership kind of glue qualities that Cam has. The message is tough loss, but we definitely felt like if could add the right person with the right experience, that that would let's call it, help patch things up and get our roster back to where we wanted it when we came in. Every day there are going to be changes – whether it's a young guy making a move, whether it's unfortunately someone getting nicked up for a long period of time, like Cam, or even a short period of time. So those things those things fluctuate. But in August about right now, you can't do a lot with your roster this time of year. Now there might be at cut downs we can add players. But a lot of times those players – they don't know our system. So, there may be more future-type picks if they're young and then there are times where you have to go out and we have to add a veteran, we have to teach him the system as quick as possible and that player help us patch things up. So those things evolve daily.”

(On what is going on with P Johnny Hekker)
“He's on COVID IR and I don't even know our rules anymore. Last year, we couldn't talk about COVID IR. Whatever I say from here is probably wrong.”

(On what his plans are to solve the punter situation as the deadline to cut the roster to 53 players gets closer)
“In reality when (P) Johnny (Hekker) is not being able to be a part of practice and games – what he's brought to the table is on the table. There's not much he can do, but he's done a lot in this league with us obviously during his career. And then we get (P) Corey (Bojorquez) back and he'll continue competing and competing through the game. And like every roster decision, there are decisions to be made. But we were fortunate this year in having a punter with, let’s call it Johnny's resume capability, all of that. And with Corey, coming as a restricted free agent. I believe he was a restricted free agent that they didn’t tender. So, we usually try to attack that market. And that's an interesting work because everybody gears up for unrestricted free agency. But it's kind of the (Former Rams Ccool smiley Nickell Roby-Coleman rule, right? It might've been a regime change or what have you, he didn't get tendered. So, usually guys with experience with playtime, still young, upside, all of a sudden on the street. And we try to monitor that when the bell rings. When most everyone on this call is monitoring the major headlines. It's that untendered, restricted, free agent market that we do like to make sure we don't forget about Corey was someone that we liked and felt like it would be definitely beneficial and healthy to bring him here.”

(On how they envision using RB Sony Michel in tangent with RB Darrell Henderson Jr.)
“That’s a good question for (Head Coach) Sean (McVay). I don't think we ever really talked through who starts, who doesn’t, things like that. I think big picture, conceptionally, we felt like, ‘Okay, if we can add someone like Sony, a veteran, number one, come here, learn the offense. Number two, be a complement to Darrell, Jake and Xavier, the guys we have here. And then from there, figure out what each player does best and then go into Chicago. But, because he's getting here, very well aware that we've got about 19, and Sean says, days, maybe it's 18 (days) now until we kick off. So, (the) goal is to get him here this evening and him and (Running Backs Coach/Assistant Head Coach) Thomas (Brown) get together and start learning that playbook as soon as possible. The roles would probably evolve, but Sean may have a more specific answer to that.”

(On how many more decisions need to be made in regard to the 53-man roster)
“A lot of them have been made. I probably couldn't give you an exact number, but there are some unsung jobs on the line. Like again, the 48-man roster. Who earns a job? One of the, it's called core four that the special teams, those are it. They might not be battling for, let's call it a 53rd or 53 spot as we call it, that they could be battling for a helmet, jersey and shoulder pads on gameday. There’s still definitely some jobs opening. Us in football, we'll always, if we were saying right there, we're probably 90-something percent, let's call it completed, in our evaluation. But I do know this when there's another test or there's another opportunity to watch film, think things definitely change with another game to play because those games are their competitive moments and they're definitely measurable. Things are going to change in Denver, in some form or fashion. What’s interesting too, there could be, unfortunately like with (Rcool smiley Raymond Calais, someone who might've been earning a spot on the team, might have been earning a jersey on gameday because of special teams, then all of a sudden he goes down with an unfortunate injury and it's those guys that maybe were behind him, and not necessarily at the same position, but even on special teams, it's a tough thing. Those guys are counting heads and, ‘Wow. I'm not going to make it.’ To be able to be mentally tough. To stay in it, even though when you're looking around the room and going, ‘I don't think I make it.’ And then all of a sudden, wow, there's some unforeseen attrition, but that kid stayed and that kid persevered and next thing you know, he makes a couple plays. And when he felt maybe he was counted out, he's back in. The key there is being able to be level-headed, stay in it, even when you think you might be out because every day is a chance to put something on your resume, try to help the Rams and carve out a contributing role. That's the neat thing about this and I'm telling you, it's hard. Sometimes I don't wish it upon my own kids. Everybody reaches their dream in some way of getting the chance to fight for one of these jobs, but to sit there every day and know that you don't really have one yet, like you can taste the dream, but it's not there. The stress, the anxiety there that these young men go through, not everyone, some people know they're on the team or what have you, different stresses. Are they getting ready to really, really contribute. A unique part of the year. All these young men deserve credit getting to this week and persevering through it.”

(On if he feels like Funk and Jones are ready to take on roles)
“I think we've definitely seen enough to go, ‘Okay, in this take with Jake and Xavier that this is how they can contribute. Let's call it on Sunday night for the Rams. And this is how they might be able to contribute four or five weeks later.’ So, we've definitely identified that. And again, now it comes in phases and stages. This may be a Sunday night against the Bears role. This might be more of a future role. And then all of a sudden, some unforeseen adversity occurs, or attrition and the role just changed and it's a more important role.”

(On how Michel performed against the Rams in Super Bowl LIII)
“The only thing I remember about the Super Bowl was we had less (points). The math didn't work out for us. So, I try not to remember that, but what I do know, this is just being conceptual, generally New England had (WR) Julian Edelman, Gronk (TE Ron Gronkowski), (Qcool smiley Tom Brady at the time, you're thinking high power, flying offense. But when you do play New England, and Sony was a part of that right there, they're going to come north and southbound at you. They're going to make you be disciplined in your gaps and not only be disciplined in your gaps, but they be pretty strong and tough in those gaps. So, when we were preparing for Sony then, you felt him even on film. Where, ‘Okay, there's the cut and he's getting north and south and linebackers meeting him and maybe he's getting a yard and a half, two more yards after the linebacker meets him.’ That’s Sony. That's kind of who they are conceptually as an offense whether Tom Brady's there or not. I keep going back to that score. That’s what I remember.”

(On if the punter decision will be made on what he knows now)
“That decision not made. I think it big picture, if we decided to move on from someone like Johnny Hekker, that's done what he's done for the Rams, that's not just kind of, ‘Yes, no decision.’ There's a lot of discussion into that. So, no way is that one made at all.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky269August 25, 2021 05:01PM