Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - HC Sean McVay, DC Morris, OC O'Connell - August 24, 2021

August 25, 2021 01:39AM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - HC Sean McVay, DC Morris, OC O'Connell - August 24, 2021

HC Sean McVay, DC Morris, OC O'Connell

Head Coach Sean McVay
(On where OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo was today)
“No, he was having some stinger issues, so he's getting that checked out. No, he's just dealing with some things. His shoulder was bothering him a little bit and so, he was getting checked out today.”

(On having OLB Terrell Lewis back out at practice)
“It was good to have him back out here. He’s dealt with a lot and being able to push through. So, it was good to be able to get him back out here and it's kind of a day-to-day thing. We’ll see how his knee responds to getting a little bit more work than he's gotten in the last month and hopefully it doesn’t flare up.”

(On WR DeSean Jackson not practicing much today)
“Really, we've got him on a very specific, strategic schedule leading into the 12th.”

(On what that strategy is based on)
“Speed guy, at 34 years old, 35, however (old he is), it's amazing the way he's able to still run. He knows his body really well. I think the main thing is (I) sat down with (Vice President, Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) and (Director, Sports Science) Tyler (Williams) and (WR) DeSean (Jackson), and (we) really wanted to get a plan in place for the next three weeks, I guess it's about 19 days or so. And so, that's kind of part of the plan.”

(On how collaborative it is between the player and Reggie in coming up with a resting schedule)
“It's very collaborative with DeSean because he knows his body, he has a great understanding. DeSean and I know each other going a long ways back. So, he's able to communicate. He knows how to really turn it on. When he runs, he gets so much work in, where he's really accumulating high speed yards and so, want to be smart with him. But, it's always about a collaboration, especially with a player that's got as much experience as he does.”

(On OLB Leonard Floyd)
“He’s doing good. He had a little bit of an ankle injury last week, All these days kind of run together for me now, but he's doing good. He's making steady progress. We're just kind of treating that each day at a time. But, he'll probably be back on the field in the next couple of days. I would imagine that it'll be a couple days, though.”

(On how practice went today)
“Frustrated is a strong word. I think you just want to see just clean operations all throughout. For me as a head coach, if it's defense doing good for some stuff, offensively you're frustrated. Then on the flip side, if the offense is doing good, then it's from the defensive perspective. But, I thought the level of urgency was really good today. I thought got a lot of different situations. I thought guys really pushed each other in a competitive, smart way. (To) finish it up with a two-minute situation, a lot of really good plays by both sides of the ball. And then ultimately (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) did a great job making a breakup at the end there.”

(On the health of his players being the number one priority and RB Darrell Henderson Jr.’s injury)
“I think you want to continue to accumulate that experience. Really, if you can push it in a way that's reflective of not making the injury any worse, that's something that we wanted to do. Credit to (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson). He was out here today really pushing it. He got a thumb sprain and that thing, they had a pretty restrictive whatever, if you want to call it a cast or a brace, but it was good to see him out here. It is important. It's important to really have all hands on deck. But, I think certain guys, they've accumulated more experienced than others. You don't ever want to pigeon hole yourself into a one-size-fits-all approach. But with Darrell, I think it is important to get him out here.”

(On CB Jalen Ramsey’s personal growth and development)
“He's such a smart instinctual player. Think he's got a really big picture grasp of what's going on, what's the intent behind these calls and the different places that we can activate him is a real weapon. It's almost kind of like one of those jokers on offense that you don't know if he's going to be in the backfield, the slot, attached to the core, out wide as a receiver, and that's what Jaylen is for the defensive side of the ball. I think he's done a great job really taking command in a leadership role. I think he and (Defensive Coordinator) Raheem’s (Morris) relationship has been fun to really watch those guys connect. (Assistant Secondary Coach) Jonathan Cooley and (Secondary Coach/Pass Game Coordinator Ejiro) Evero both do a great job with him, but Jaylen is just continuing to assert himself as, he's already been a special player, but I think just the different ways that you can utilize him, kind of similar to the way that he was utilized at FSU in his college career.”

(On what he is trying to accomplish on Thursday)
“I think it's going to be really important. I want to push these guys to try to create a game like atmosphere. You want to see the competitive situations really be illustrated like they were today. But want to try to make sure that we're in as good a shape conditioning wise as possible. These are the types of settings where you can push it while minimizing the risk for injury. Now we're still pretty banged up for how conscientious we've tried to be about taking care of guys, but I just want to be able to see these guys positively push one another. And then after that, it'll start to represent, you're going to start to get into the early phases of the Chicago game planning.”

(On if they plan on tackling)
“We won’t. We won’t tackle.”

(On if it feels any different after the fifth season opener as a head coach)
“Every year is different, it is different., I think you try to use those first four years as learning experiences. It continues to resonate with me, how important it is being around great people like our players, like our coaches. But this year feels totally different than last year, especially given the circumstances, but really excited. There's been a lot of changes that have taken place over the last handful of years to whether it was coaches, players. And that's always kind of an exciting thing is to build and develop those new relationships while also maintaining the foundation of a lot of the ones that you've spent the last handful of years really pouring into guys. This year is definitely exciting, and I feel like I probably say it every year, but this is as excited as I've been for a season since I can remember.”

(On if there are any new updates on RB Raymond Calais)
“Haven't heard any updates on him yet.”

(On if CB Jalen Ramsey’s positioning is a counterreaction to things like making him closer to the ball)
“I just think his range, if you're using him as an underneath defender where you're doing some things where you're catching routes from depth or you're kind of putting an umbrella on the offense, his versatility and his range has an underneath defender definitely gives you that versatility and you have the ability to defend a little bit more, but you're always mixing it up. There are different ways that we'll still kind of keep foundational principles to last year, but you know, (Defensive Coordinator) Raheem’s (Morris) got his imprint on this and then you always evolve. Because I think you're not naive to the fact that everybody's studying what we did defensively because of the success that our guys had last year, and so you have to be mindful of that from a self-scout perspective. And there'll be some things that maybe look familiar and some things that look very different also.”

Defensive Coordinator Raheem Morris
(On the four stops in a row at the end of practice)
“We had a little clock issue. It is what it is. It’s always fun though. Anytime you can simulate those types of situations and you get that kind of emotion out of guys playing this game for a long time and guys that played this game at a high level, to create that on the practice field, especially, I think (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) and our coaches and all other guys and everybody involved – our equipment managers, everybody, training staff, do a great job of creating a game-like atmosphere, us being off on the side. All those things, you guys being here - and it's fun to watch. It's fun to be a part of.”

(On what he’s seen from OLB Terrell Lewis and what the hope for him is)
“It was really fun to get him back out today. (It) being his first day out for a while in a long time, he has his up and down days when it comes to injury. He came back looking really fresh, feeling really good. He had a little bit of a setback. (He) had to go back and get some stuff done. Then (to) get him back out here today to get him into an individual setting, to do all those things. The hope for him is that he can contribute and help us on some of these rundowns first and then hopefully, developing some type of pass rush so that he has been. You’re talking about a really good athlete that was a really good athlete for years, up until that injury. And then (he) was able to fight back and find ways to still become relevant when it came to the draft. When you (are) talking about getting drafted and coming here, as far as that from Alabama. I'm really fired up where he can go. I'm looking forward to see what he can do when he gets back fully healthy and ready to go.”

(On how his current defense compares to other defenses he’s worked with in the past)
“That's always a dangerous question. It’s just always a dangerous question because you never want to compare guys to any year. All those years seem different. If I tell you that I came in in 2002, and we were in training camp, and I told you that was a Super Bowl defense, I'd be lying. At the end of the day, I didn't remember, the year was over and we had a Super Bowl ring. That's kind of how it played out. No different in Atlanta. We came out and we ended up having the best offense in the league. I couldn't tell you that was going to happen in training camp, but it just happened because of the guys, the unit, the camaraderie, all the things that you do in preparation, getting up to those points. These guys are all headed in the right direction. Yesterday, we had a little practice that disappointed our Head Coach. He was able to tell us and identify the problems. Then after that, it's our job as coaches and players to go out and fix them. So, having the ability to do that here, in this environment, is great. No matter what the case may be. I talked to you guys about the uncomfortable conversation that we had to have a couple of those today with people. Sometimes you don't like them, but sometimes you get the results you want, not just for them as a person or the individual, but as a team, as a unit, as a group. And, all those things I think are just great. When those things happen for us, it’s where I'd like to move forward. I'd like to be in the moment, stay in the moment and take it one day at a time. (We are) getting ready for 19 days from now. We’ll see how it plays out.”

(On the progress of LB Ernest Jones)
“It’s really cool to see Ernest Jones. He got here, he was quiet, he was a sponge. Then we got a chance to see him play and go out there and actually apply some of that stuff that he was sponging up from some of those guys, the (ILB Micah) Kiser’s, the (ILB Troy) Reeder’s, even (ILB Travin) T-Howard, all of the older guys, the (LB Christian) Rozeboom’s, people that have been here, (S Jake) Gervase, just people that have all the knowledge from him. He was willing to listen to just about anybody and everybody and gain all those things. So, then you watch them go out there and watch him simulate being the green dot and being in control. He had a really successful game going on in that first week and then coming out the next week, he actually got a chance to go out there and back up a Kiser and play in that next role and go out there and do some of those things and I’m watching this. Really his on-field demeanor and personality come to life in everyday in practice. So, when he goes out there right now and he's practicing with the guys, getting some first team reps, playing with the second group, sometimes in the third field with the threes, it really doesn't matter, he's the same person every day, every time he gets a chance to get out there. Watching him evolve has been fun for me, it's been fun for our coaching staff and it's been fun for everybody. Even our veteran players. They take notice when they see a guy playing with that type of demeanor and the type of intent that he's playing with when he goes out there and he plays in the games. It excites (CB Jalen) Ramsey, it excites (DL) Aaron Donald, it excites (OLB Leonard) Floyd, and it definitely excites his team as he’s playing with them.”

(On if he thinks Jones is on an accelerated pace)
“You hate to say it's an accelerated pace. It’s at the pace that he’s setting for himself. The better you go out and the better you perform, you think those guys got to be rewarded for those performances. If he keeps performing the way he does, then he'll get rewarded for those performances. I always tell our guys, ‘You get these roles and you don't have to like your role, but if you do your role really well, your role will increase. And as your role increases, then stuff happens. And the next thing you know, you got a 99 in Madden and everybody loves you.’ That’s just the way it goes in this league. It’s just where it will always be.”

(On his unique perspective of how the nickel position has grown and changed)
“I will say this, being fortunate enough to coach Ronde Barber in Tampa, although I hate to reflect on the past, you're talking about the best star that I've ever been around. Arguably between him and Antoine Winfield for being the best nickels to ever played this game. Charles Woodson tried to slip in there late, he gets acknowledgement for that. And now you put Jalen Ramsey in there. What you do see when those guys go in there, you see guys that are savvy enough to cover, you see guys that are tough enough to do all the dirty work that the linebacker can do, and then you see the athleticism of men that go in there and make plays that just make it happen. Ronde Barber went in there. He was a sack threat. He was an interception threat. He was a cover threat. He was a part of the run game. He keyed it like a linebacker. He played the pass like a DB. He was able to communicate like a linebacker. He was able to move around and play some safety positions from that spot. To really be unique. Those are some of the things that Jalen’s just evolving into and he's loving it. He’s one of those guys that can go anywhere - outside, inside, outside linebacker. You can put him almost anywhere. It wouldn't shock me if he could play a snap from three technique, the way he's going. He’s just that type of special player.”

(On how the position he just described matches Ramsey’s personality)
“He wants to be in the action. A lot of times when you get a shutdown corner, you've been a shutdown corner for so long, people have ways of getting away from you until it's the critical moments. He’s obviously stood up in those critical moments and made big plays. That’s why he is who he is. But, every once in a while you want to go get in the mix and get a little dirty and get your hands in there and be able to do some good things. He’s that type of player. You guys have seen how physically he can be, how well he asserts himself when it is a practice like today, and how he's really been practicing since I've been here. He's been a unique practice player. He's a unique gamer. Being able to watch that from afar, now being able to see it up close every single day and how well he motivates himself and how well he gets himself going every day, it’s special. The things that are not said about him is what he does for his guys inside the meeting room. When he talks to those guys in the meeting room, he's just trying to explain what he's doing and what he sees. He does it with his voice and his style and his demeanor. Those things to me are really special. And those are the things I think will show when he has the ability to communicate from their star position talking to his guys around them.”

(On how he deals with the comparison that is anticipated about living up to the expectations of what the defense did last year)
“There's only one thing, the determining factor for us, and it’s winning. That won't change. How we compete, how we go out, how we do all the things that we need to do in our program, it's very important to us. I want to go out there and be the very best. I'll be lying to you if I told you anything else, there's no secret. We got the talent, the makeup to go out there and win it all and win championships. Nobody’s making predictions, but if we put our best foot forward every single day and let the chips fall where they may, I think we can go out here and do whatever we need to get done on the football field. That's the only thing that should be judging you. I do care about the fans, that’s not what I'm saying. I do want them to be happy. I love when they get excited. I was excited this week watching those guys out there play. I don't even know who outside linebacker was. Was it (OLcool smiley Chris Garrett? Was it (OLB Leonard Floyd) Flo? Who was the three technique? Was it (DL) Bobby Brown (III) or was it Aaron Donald? It was exciting to watch all those guys out there. Was that (Dcool smiley Bronte (Harris) out there getting an interception or was that Jalen or (CB Darious Williams) D Will? Who cares? But, those bodies line up and you go out there and you got to put your best foot forward, no matter what situation. (In) Sean McVay's program, no matter who's the defensive coordinator, it’s going to be the same standards to go out there and win. The guys that do nothing but win since you've been here and I will continue to do that.”

Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell
(On what adjustments he saw during practice)
“From the jump, the leadership, obviously when you have a day like we had yesterday where we were still able to get some good work, but just our standard is set at, and these players have really set it there and they've set the bar high to have practice where we're competing. Both sides are working on maybe individual aspects of offense or defense or special teams, but it's really the competitive greatness that can we can pull out of each other on both sides. When the energy is high, that seems to happen. And we've got really, really good leadership on both sides of the ball. Starting with our quarterback on offense and then obviously there's two or three guys on defense that their play speaks for itself, but obviously they're big-time leaders for us and they lead us every single day and obviously (Head Coach) Sean (McVay) prefers to have those guys leading from the front, and we had a good day because of it.”

(On what he wants to see on Thursday during the intrasquad scrimmage)
I think it'll be big from a volume standpoint. We do a lot of periods in practice where we put caps on them. Six play drive here for the ones, eight, twelve, whatever it is. It'll be more play the drives off of special teams plays where if it's a touchback first and ten on the minus 25 and we're playing until either the defense stops us or we're able to go down and score. If we could score in one play, we can score in 15 plays. It's a matter of that unscripted feel of us as coaches working substitutions and situations as they come up. Obviously, the players, the volume of plays will be huge. The tempos we can activate will be huge and really start to give these guys, especially the ones, a real feel of what it's going to feel like when we go on September 12th. Because the joint practices were awesome, but there's so much organization that goes there with scripts and making sure, you know, you're not ever doing anything to put the other side of it at a disadvantage because you're just trying to get good competitive work. But obviously when you play for real, September 12th we’re trying to go create those advantages when we can, but also just execute and be able to just kind of play, play the drives as they come.”

(On what kinds of decisions he is facing when it comes to roster decisions)
“There's always those two or three discussions that are coming up. Luckily the way we do things here with Coach McVay, there's so much conversation and communication from the top down to really our whole staff and guys really being able to voice their opinions. And with that, as a full coaching staff, we know how to put guys in positions to really help make those decisions kind of make themselves a little bit. There are still spots out there. Our guys have done a great job competing all camp on both sides, really all three phases. And whether special teams or a depth spot on offense or defense is still up for grabs, that's a good thing at this point when, when guys are still competing, because that means we've had a really good competitive team.”

(On his thoughts on OL Brian Allen)
“I think it's been awesome. Brian, obviously, when I first got here last year, we watched tape of him playing early on as a rookie when he first got here, and you see just the physical traits and you just hoped he would be a hundred percent healthy, ready to go. And he put himself in position through a ton of work and really dedicated himself to making sure he showed up here for training camp ready to roll. And it's been so fun to watch because mentally he's always been a student of the game. He's always been somebody you felt like could really take that next step from a communication standpoint upfront. Then you pair him with a veteran quarterback who prides himself on that communication and the dialogue with the center. And it's been some next level stuff it's been really cool to watch. And we're really excited about where Brian's at, the camp he's had in the season he can have for us.”

(On if QB Bryce Perkins’ touchdown pass last week had anything to do with his new foot work)
“It even goes a step further than that. We kind of altered his foot work on that drop to kind of invite something from the defense that kind of played out like that. Which I thought was, what we're really looking for at this point, it'd be great to go out there, score every time we touch the ball, but we're also evaluating. That was one of the things we wanted to see. Could Bryce take some coaching points from understanding, ‘Hey, I'm going to start this game and I don't know how long I'm going to play. It could be a quarter, two, three or the whole game. But can I take some of these coaching points to the game and help move the team with them and score points?’ And he was able to do that from the very early. Once we were able to kind of overcome some of those tough penalties early on in the game, we were able to kind of really solidify moving the football. And then what I liked was two of the three times were in the red zone. We finished them with touchdowns, had a chance to, to field goal on another one. And that was growth for that unit playing against, some ones out there. The Raiders had some of their guys out there and our group really held their own and competed, and it was really led, led by Bryce running the show.”

(On how the offense can be different with QB Matthew Stafford this season)
“I think it's always evolving. I think the quarterback position has a lot to do with that because any good offense in the NFL, you're going to tailor it to what the quarterback does well. And obviously when you have all 11 working together led by the quarterback, you can do a lot of things, but with Matthew's combination of his skillset, natural skillset, throwing the football, the creativity at which he can see things and execute certain throws. And then the people we have around him, guys that are really experienced in the system and (WR) Cooper (Kupp) and (WR) Robert (Woods) and (TE Tyler) Higgs (Higbee), and then we've got some new players like (WR) DeSean (Jackson) and obviously (WR) TuTu (Atwell) and some of the other guys that we can activate different skillsets. Then really challenge the defense to defend all of our skill guys with the quarterback, activating multiple things out of multiple looks, tempos. Really, you could go a lot of ways with it. Really what Matthew brings is just such consistency to where we can lay out a plan, how we want to attack somebody. He's going to go execute that plan and if we need to make in game adjustments, in-drive adjustments, it's something that can happen in real time. I'm really excited about it. It's just been so fun to be around him and just watch the way he's kind of embraced our offense while also picking his spots to put his own spin on it and I think people will be able to see that.”

(On if they tailor practices to make sure WR DeSean Jackson is more involved)
“Absolutely. We make sure we look at things kind of in these groups of practices and not only just one day at a time, but ‘Hey, what's it going to look like for Desean if he goes these days in the calendar?’ We want to make sure he's getting work in because it's all a matter of kind of building him up when we get to the regular season we feel like the things we can activate with him and the different phases of our offense, he feels comfortable with it because we know his skillset from his ability to track the ball and push things down the field to run away from people with the ball in his hands. All of those things fit, it's just a matter of his comfort level. So, when he's out there, we want to expose him to just enough to make sure he knows he got that work in that day, but never too much to where it's a setback in the growth towards September 12th.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky308August 25, 2021 01:39AM