Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams LB Chris Garrett wins the confidence game…

August 23, 2021 08:59AM
Rams linebacker Chris Garrett wins the confidence game​

[www.ocregister.com]

Skepticism was natural when the Rams used a seventh-round draft pick last spring to select an outside linebacker from a Division II college that canceled its 2020 season because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Among those without much faith in Chris Garrett going into his first Rams training camp was Chris Garrett.

“It was a little shaky, I’ll be honest,” Garrett said of his confidence then. “I just hadn’t played in such a long time.”

Consider his confidence restored.

Saturday night, the 23-year-old from Concordia University in St. Paul, Minn., had a breakthrough game in the Rams’ 17-16 preseason loss to the Raiders at SoFi Stadium. Really, he had a breakthrough five minutes.

In a span of six Raiders snaps over two series in the second quarter, Garrett tipped a Nathan Peterman pass that ended up intercepted by safety J.R. Reed, threw running back Trey Ragas for a 6-yard loss, teamed with defensive end Jonah Williams on a sack, got his hand on an incomplete pass, and recorded a strip sack to force a punt.

Deep breath.

“My mentality is ‘next play, next play.’ I was tired. I almost tapped,” Garrett, 6-foot-4, 245 pounds, said later. “But it was just ‘go.’ “

Garrett started and played 60% of defensive downs, most among Rams linebackers, and had team highs in sacks (1-1/2), quarterback hits (three) and passes defended (two). This, after he played 42% of snaps and failed to dent the stat sheet in the Rams’ preseason-opening loss to the Chargers.

The performance can’t hurt Garrett’s chances of winning a spot on the roster. He started the preseason behind outside linebackers Leonard Floyd, Justin Hollins, Ogbonnia Okoronkwo and Justin Lawler on the depth chart. Terrell Lewis continues to miss practice with knee problems.

“He did a great job. Made a big impact,” Rams coach Sean McVay said of Garrett on Saturday. “And really you’ve seen him start to make steady improvements (in practice).”

Garrett, the 252nd of 259 players taken in this year’s draft, caught the Rams’ attention with 36 1/2 sacks in college. Those broke a school record set by defensive end Zach Moore, Concordia’s only previous NFL player. Moore played for four NFL teams from 2014-18.

“You know, the biggest thing wasn’t that I came from Concordia-St. Paul, a small school. It was more that I missed the 2020 season, and getting adjusted to (playing again),” Garrett said of his challenge in training camp. “Every day, it was a big emphasis (to) just do better than the day before. I slowly got better.”

His first breakthrough came in practice about two weeks ago when he won his first one-on-one pass-rushing drill.

“I just couldn’t win a one-on-one, and I’m just like ‘What is going on?’ ” he said. “I used some hands and speed and won a live rep in practice, and I’m like, ‘I’m back! Let’s go.’

“I was super confident coming into this game.”

His second breakthrough, Saturday night, showed how far he has come in a month.

“I got in a little zone there, made a bunch of plays. It was fun just getting out there, getting that adrenaline back,” Garrett said. “It was nice.”

NOTES

The Rams said running back/kick returner Raymond Calais sustained a Lisfranc injury Saturday, a foot fracture. Calais will need surgery, worsening the depth problem at running back. Active are Darrell Henderson, Xavier Jones, Jake Funk and Otis Anderson. The Rams opened last season with five backs.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams LB Chris Garrett wins the confidence game…

Rams43210August 23, 2021 08:59AM