Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams - Las Vegas Raiders Transcripts - Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Rams QB Bryce Perkins, Raiders Head Coach Jon Gruden - August 21, 2021

August 22, 2021 02:28AM
Los Angeles Rams - Las Vegas Raiders Transcripts - Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Rams QB Bryce Perkins, Raiders Head Coach Jon Gruden - August 21, 2021

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay, Rams QB Bryce Perkins, Raiders Head Coach Jon Gruden

Rams Head Coach Sean McVay
(Opening statement)
“I thought that was a resilient effort by our guys. Obviously wanted to try to come away with the win but was really pleased with some of the individual plays. I thought (Qcool smiley Bryce Perkins, unbelievable job, really able to battle throughout. The fourth down, being able to move the sticks with his legs and giving us the chance at the end. Was really pleased with a lot of guys.  I thought our guys showed toughness tonight. I thought they continued to fight. There was a lot of adversity, probably too many flags for our liking, but all things that we can learn from.”

(On the injuries to WR TuTu Atwell, LB Christian Rozeboom, RB Raymond Calais and OL Tremayne Anchrum Jr.)
“The only guys – (WR) Tutu (Atwell) came out and so did (LB Christian) Rozeboom. With (RB Raymond) Calais, I think he got his foot pretty bad, he's going to require surgery. I'll have further updates for you. And (OL Tremayne) Anchrum (Jr.), I believe he will be okay. He got his ankle rolled up on a little bit, but I think he's going to be okay.”

(On RBs Xavier Jones and Jake Funk)
“I saw a lot from (RB Jake) Funk. I thought he did a good job. I thought (Rcool smiley Xavier (Jones) made a couple plays. You saw him catch a couple of passes and be able to create a little bit. But I really felt Funk tonight. I thought he did a great job being able to create some explosive runs, one from the dot, one from the offset gun. But, it was good to see those guys make plays. 

(On what he thought about the overall ground game)
“I was just pleased. I think you got to go back and look at it. We were in a little bit of a situation where you're playing from behind, so you're throwing it a little more. But I thought Bryce made some plays. I thought when we were able to kind of stick with running the football there were some positives. But like anything else, we'll be able to learn from it also.”

(On Perkins living up to expectations)
“It's exciting. I thought he did a really good job of being able to create off schedule but also on schedule. You look at the touchdown pass earlier in the game to (TE) Kendall Blanton, being able to work through a progression. I thought you saw a lot of good things from him, a lot of opportunities to evaluate, a lot of things really for him to learn from. But I was really pleased with just his poise, his command and composure throughout the course of the game tonight.”

(On the defensive effort tonight)
“I was really happy with them. I thought they did a great job. I thought they just continued to compete. That stop, that interception that (Dcool smiley Brontae Harris had in front of me, they're going in to really score right there, to be able to flip the momentum and give ourselves a chance to go back and now you've got a decision whether you want to tie and we know we're going to try to go for the win in that situation. And so really I was pleased with the defense as a whole. I thought the turnover was huge and we were able to capitalize in the first half. So, a lot of positives from those guys tonight.”

(On the punter situation)
“It escalated quickly. So there was a chance that we thought (P) Johnny (Hekker) might have it. And then when it was confirmed that he did, then (P) Corey (Bojorquez) ended up being a close contact for him. We'll see. We'll have a little bit more information, but obviously both those guys being on the COVID reserve. And we'll see when we can get them back.”

(On K Matt Gay’s performance tonight)
“I thought he did a good job. And (LS Steven) Wirtel as well stepping in and being able to hold, that's not an easy duty. We found it out literally this morning while we were doing the walk through. So didn't have any real time to prep. I think it's a credit to (Special Teams Coordinator) Joe DeCamillis and (Special Teams Assistant) Dwayne Stukes to be able to have them being able to transition. But was pleased with (K) Matt (Gay) and his ability to step in and wear a lot of hats tonight.”

(On if Hekker tested positive)
“You know what, I don't want to get into the specifics about it. They're both placed on the COVID reserve list. I kind of already said that. But I'll just leave it at that out of respect for those guys.”

(On if it was the plan for Perkins to play the whole game)
“It wasn't really. I think just based on the flow of the game, there was just some different opportunities. You want him to be able to respond back from the interception. He kind of got some good momentum. You wanted him to start the second half. So that wasn't necessarily the plan. We just kind of had a feel for it during the course of the game, wanted to give him that opportunity. And we'll see what that looks like for next week.”

(On what he wants to see from Atwell moving forward)
“I want to see him continue to grow and make plays. Want to see him when he gets his punt return opportunities, field it clean, and make good decisions. When the ball's in his hand, want to see him contribute and compete. I thought he did a nice job out-breaking routes where he could feel his suddenness. It was good, aggressive hands. Just want to see him continue to build on that.”

(On what he saw from the Raiders this week)
“I thought there was a lot of good learning opportunities. I think it was – wanted to be able to get a little bit more work where that got cut short for the reasons that we all know about. But I thought it was good for us to be able to evaluate. The most beneficial thing that we took from it is being able to go against different schemes. It's a good, competitive football team that (Raiders Head) Coach (Jon) Gruden's leading over there. I know we were able to get good looks in all three phases. And there were some really good things we were able to learn as coaches that we can try to apply for the 17-game season, because there will be some similar types of schemes and structures that we can take to that. But it's good to mix up the monotony of camp and go against somebody else. So it was good. 

(On S Terrell Burgess, LB Travin Howard playing tonight)
“Just numbers. We kind of knew, even with (S) Terrell Burgess, (LB Travin) Howard and Terrell Burgess, those are guys that we want to be able to evaluate, get them an opportunity to play. And just making sure you've got the amount of numbers to be able to get through the game, being able to play teams and whatever side of the ball these guys are on. 

(On OLB Chris Garrett)
“He did a great job. Made a big impact. You could see he was applying pressure consistently. Big second quarter. And really you've seen him start to make steady improvements. I think we always talk about it, that where that practice, performance and preparation equals game reality. And tonight was an example of that for (OLcool smiley Chris (Garrett). He's continued to get better at that. (Assistant Linebackers Coach) Thad Bogardus does a great job. He's taking the coaching, he's learning from his teammates. And I was really happy for Chris tonight.”
  Rams QB Bryce Perkins

(On his performance tonight)
“It was pretty solid. Love to clean up some of the mistakes I had early on and throughout the game, but (Head) Coach (Sean McVay) did a great job of… coaches and the players really kind of put it on ourselves to kind of look past the mistakes. Mistakes happen and we did a great job of next play mentality and just came up short. But a lot of those early mistakes can prevent that situation from happening. But lots to learn from. A lot of good, lot to learn, lot of bad…not a lot of bad but some things to fix up here and we'll be in good shape.”

(On when he knew he would play the whole game)
“It was kind of just drive by drive. He would come up and be like, ‘Yeah, you're still going.’ So I was just ready and when he told me that, just kind of stay locked in throughout the game and whatever was asked of me I did.”

(On what it felt like to lead a final drive)
“During the drive, I really tried to stay focused and calm throughout the game. That's kind of how I have to play. It allows me to play faster and play better. When we got it back up there, I was thinking, ‘Okay, one play at a time. He calls a play. Execute that play. Don't worry about, okay, we've got to get this much yards and this much time. Just take it play by play.’ I think we all did a great job of that. Executing,  we know we made plays when nothing was there and everything like that. But it feels good. You kind of get a rhythm and things seem to click while you're going on the field in that drive. But, yeah, just wish we could have come with that last one, but offensive-wise, we did a great job of marching down and scoring.”

(On if it was hard to stay calm in the huddle for the fourth down play call for him)
“No, I mean, it wasn't designed for me to take it. But Coach was like, ‘Hey, if no one's there, just go ahead and take off.’ So I came off with speed and once I saw the guy kind of lagging behind, I knew I could beat him to the edge and pick up the first down.”

(On if that play was designed to be a run)
“No, it was a roll-out pass but Coach always teaches us attack, attack downhill so we become that last option. So they had the guard all the routes being played and also had to guard the quarterback running. Coach does a great job teaching us that. He was kind of harping on that. ‘Every keeper, just attack with the ball, attack with the ball and on those plays where we attack and no one accounts for you, you pick up a first down.’”

(On if there’s anything he would like to improve)
“Yeah, I mean, sometimes I get hung up on that first read and also kind of just leaving early. Got to clean up the trying to escape too quick without… The line did a great job tonight and a couple of those plays where I escaped I could have stayed in and kind of read through the progression. So things like that. And just clean up protection. Being faster, faster, faster, so we're not too down on the play clock like we were on some of the plays.

(On his comfortability level in this offense)
“I feel pretty good. Last year, did a really good job of just sitting back and watching. I think a big help of that was watching John Wolford and how he prepared for games. He prepares the right way. And as a rookie coming in, and pregame, I'm in his hotel room kind of going over the script with him and see how detailed he is with everything kind of made me want to behave and want to operate in the same fashion. So coming in this year, I really made a point of it, trying to master it. And obviously with a year under your bel, you're going to feel more comfortable. But I definitely do feel really comfortable back there.”

(On his first touchdown to TE Kendall Blanton)
“Yeah, no, we talked about the play a handful of times before today and on the game and Coach was just saying, ‘Read it through, go through it and don't be surprised if it pops in.’ When the ball snapped, kind of saw the look. Got back to it. And then just as we work it, we work all these looks in practice and it's reps after reps. So in the game, it may not be always perfect with your feet, but I feel like I'm in rhythm, especially on that play. Got back to it, and it felt like something that we repped in practice all the time.”
  Raiders Head Coach Jon Gruden

(Opening remarks)
“The game wasn’t always pretty, but I’m really proud of our players. We got here Tuesday and we’ve been in a hotel. We’ve had great camaraderie, we had to compete with the Rams for a couple days on the practice field, and a lot of people got a chance to compete. It will be a great film for us to look at. I’d like to say (Ccool smiley Nate Hobbs did a great job for us, we have a fine young defender there. I’ll be happy to answer any questions I can.”

(On injury updates with LB Javin White and LB Nicholas Morrow)
“There’s a concern, obviously with Nick Morrow and his foot. He’s being evaluated. Javin White looks like he hurt his knee. So, we were out a couple linebackers. (LB Darron) Lee couldn’t play tonight, so we are light at linebacker right now, it’s a concern.”

(On LB Nick Kwiatkoski’s injury update)
“He’s going to be ok. We think he’ll be ready to go this week, but he couldn’t go tonight.”

(On LB Javin White)
“I don’t want to come to any conclusions, but we’re going to evaluate him, he’s going to get the x-rays, but we are concerned.”

(On what pleased him the most about the way the offense and defense played tonight)
“I just like the way they compete. We’re playing a lot of different guys. Some guys are playing a little bit more, I think, than they ever expected to play these first two preseason games. I like our grit. I think we have some tough guys. I thought (QB Nathan) Peterman was victimized a couple times with the tipped interceptions. I like the way he competes and runs around, and I just like the energy on our sideline. Our young people have gotten better. They’ve found a way to win two football games no matter what the stakes are.”

(On CB Nate Hobb’s performance)
“Yeah, if you watch it carefully, he played nickel to start the game and did excellent there. And then we moved him outside. We had some corners where (Ccool smiley Damon Arnette couldn’t go tonight. (Ccool smiley Keisean Nixon went out early. So, he went outside, played very well, and made some impact plays. I don’t usually give out game balls for preseason victories, but (Ccool smiley Nate Hobbs got one tonight, well deserved.”

(On if Hobbs has surpassed his expectations)
“Yeah, I would. I’d say that I’m really proud of him and really excited to see what he does in his future. We tried to summarize him a couple days ago. He has the it factor, he rarely makes the same mistake twice, he loves football, eats it up and he’s one of the energizers of our defense. He walked in here and has given us a lot of skills that we can utilize, certainly.”

(Inaudible)
“He got kicked, came out of the game on the same play Javin got hurt on, and I just liked the way he came back into the game. He showed great energy out of the stack and chased down a quick screen for a critical stop. He’s a work in progress and is getting better and better, and (Defensive Line Coach) Rod Marinelli is in his grill most of the time. But I did like the way he finished and his effort was outstanding when we needed it the most.”

(On S Tra’von Moehrig’s consistency)
“He has made some plays. He has a range in the back end, he can be in a race or tackle. I think he’s a guy that can make the open field tackles against some of the great performers in pro football. We still have a lot to prove there, but we do like the progress he’s made. We’re young back there, obviously Nate Hobbs and Moehrig – they’re going to get a lot of playing time early in this league. And thank goodness we have (Defensive Back’s Coach) Ron Milus, I think one of the best secondary coaches, and we’ve seen progress from both those guys.”

(On if he made it a conservative effort to run to T Alex Leatherwood side)
“A little bit. We were happy with (T Alex) Leatherwood. We wanted to see them do a couple more things tonight. He was the only starter really that went. We didn't let (C) Andre James play, but we liked what Alex is doing. I think he got a couple of series and most of the first quarter and faired pretty good.”

(On what he thought of DT Darius Philon)
“He's in the mix for a lot of playing time. He can play nose, he can play three technique. We're going to get (DT) Gerald McCoy on the grass this year for the first time. So, with (DT) Solomon Thomas, (DT) Quinton Jefferson, (DT Darius) Philon, McCoy, we have a chance to improve our inside rush, which is something that we have to do in this league. I think Philon has done well, consistently well, and another big play tonight.”

(On what went into the decision to not play QB Marcus Mariota)
“He's just not ready to go, physically. He competed against the Rams, but he's limited. We’re not calling plays for him right now with the lack of limitation. He's got a quad strain. We think he's got a chance to play against the 49ers. The way he plays, we do not want to get him out in a live situation and let him cut it loose. He's just not ready to go. He was ready tonight on an emergency basis, but right now he's just not ready to go.”

(On if the third preseason game still feels like a dress rehearsal)
“I don't know about that. Right now, we're going to look at our injury situation at linebacker. We've had great practices. We had two really good practices against the Rams. We got to look at the health of our team most importantly. We got to see who's on the bubble, who we really need to see to make this football team. We would like to get some of the guys a few reps, but at the end of the day, I think health and keeping the right 53 is at the top of our list right now.”

(On the bubble being a good thing to have)
“It is. We've seen the emergence of some of our young players. With Gerald McCoy coming to get some at-bats and (Lcool smiley Divine Deablo returning, (Ccool smiley Isaiah Johnson's going to jump in and play this week, (S) Karl Joseph didn’t play tonight, we're hoping to get him on the grass next week. So, we've got a lot of guys to look at. (QB Marcus) Mariota hasn't been able to play. So, with that being said, we want to continue to see who the backup running back can be. We don't know how long (Ccool smiley Rasul (Douglas) is going to be out. So, we're going to continue to do what we think gives our team the best chance to showcase their skills and keep the right guys.”

(On that status of G Richie Incognito)
“We think he has a calf strain. We hope he's ready for the opener. We don't believe it's serious, not an Achilles tendon related at all, but it's a calf injury and we'll keep you updated. But right now, he'll be out for at least a week or so.”

--RAMS--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2021 02:29AM by Shaky.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Shaky335August 22, 2021 02:28AM